Starbeegyros

rcflier

Experienced Gyroplane Pilot
Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914 (upgraded MT-03)
Total Flight Time
35 as PIC
Hi.

I have tried to place an order with Starbeegyros, but I get no answer.
Anyone know, what's going on?

Cheers
Erik

did you read the "news" page on their website - tales of hacking - the most recent "news" story is titled "Aaaaaa" or should that bee "arrggghhh".

Don't know but website appears out of date or lacking credibility, perhaps

http://www.starbeegyros.com/news.asp

Steve,
that website has been hacked a long time - I don't even know, if it's been hacked, un-hacked and hacked again.
I even tried starbeegyros on Facebook - with a strange result. I'll have to call him/them.

Cheers
Erik

Calling gets me an answering machine - every time.

Cheers
Erik

Hi - thank you for responding.

Emails were the first I tried. I've emailed back and forth with Dana Linn earlier.

I wonder, if I waited too long...

Cheers
Erik

Thanks to Scott Essex I am now in contact with Dana Linn.
They had problems with their DSL (internet line) and their mail program.
I contacted Dana Linn through his principal company and very quickly got an answer.
I was worried, but all is now well.

Thank you everyone for help and suggestions.

And now, onward with the Bee.

Cheers
Erik

Update: It looks like Starbeegyros has most of what I need - except seat and cushion.

Which other seat and cushion can I use? I know LEAF has a seat, part number J7150.

And AircraftSpruce has a seat, Part # 05-22600.

What else can I use?

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
No Title

This is cool , but you would have to be creative to install .

Attachments

• photo129374.jpg
    photo129374.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 20
You could give some consideration to using a seat tank. From the weight standpoint, I found that there was very little weight difference between seat, plus seat supports, plus fuel tank, plus fuel tank mount, compared to a seat tank and support. It does move the cg forward some though.

There are many Gyrobee types flying with CalumetAir seat tanks. 'Bee mounting instructions, provided by a customer, are available on my website www.calumetair.com The mounting instructions on the site advocate bending the U tube ends. I suggest using U brackets to mount the tube to the airframe (like most contemporary mfgs do)

Hello, Mr. Milton.

I asked the one who'll oversee my Bee build.
He thinks a seat tank is a great idea, so a seat tank it is!

How can I be sure I get all the parts I need?
Stupid question - I know: Should I buy it direct from you or through Starbee?

Cheers
Erik

Erik, could you please PM Dana's info to me so I can discuss buying a frame from her. I have been trying to contact them for months now. Thanks, Terry

Terry, Dana is the husband.
And I had the same problems. I had to stop trying.
He's not worth dealing with - because you can't.

You can try [email protected].
And I wish you good luck.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Erik. I'm just going to build my own combining gyrobee tail, hornet drop keel chassis,and with a Geo Metro 3 cyl engine.

Thanks for the info Erik. I'm just going to build my own combining gyrobee tail, hornet drop keel chassis,and with a Geo Metro 3 cyl engine.
If you use the Geo Metro 3 cyl engine you might want to look into adding a turbo.

Take a look at Jake's gyro. It's a very refined lightweight gyro, based on his many years of experience.
I'm building a standard Bee myself. Afterwards I may experiment… When you have a lathe and a tool mill, there are possibilities.
After all, the Gyrobee is very basic, and the standard parts used back then are not available anymore.

From what I've read, it's not such a good idea using any kind of aeromotive engine in a gyro. Especially in a lightweight machine.
A gyro engine is hard pressed and must be able to run balls-to-the-walls all the time. A car or MC engine is not built for that.
Car and MC engines are heavier. Plus, an MC engine usually comes with a gearbox attached. They both have to have a reduction gear.
You would in reality be a test pilot with a questionable power system...

The usual engine for a Gyrobee-ish machine would be a Rotax 503 or a 582 (IMHO). There are others, but they aren't that common.
I happen to have an old, never used 503 SCSI. Single ignition and single carburetor. I have a set of used carbs if needed.

But now I'm cheating - I just bought an MTO Sport. I needed that to have something to be schooled in. I might sell my Gyrobee stuff.
Or not - I don't know at the moment. It would be fun to finally build my "Time Machine" Bee... I have just about all needed hardware.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Erik. I have a degree in Machining and own a mill and lathe. I am going draft the gyro in Solidworks complete, then set-up my tool paths in Mastercam. I would really like to use a blue head 582 Rotax, but they are incredible expensive. I have had a few Quicksilver ultralights and had a buddy that put a Geo Metro engine on his and it worked out great. I would really like to find a 582 that needs rebuilt. I'm just getting started, so nothing is written in stone yet.

I talked with Dana on the phone about 2 months back. I found him helpful and responsive. The parts seem high quality, I wouldn't give up on them yet. I just used the phone number on their website.

Hi Mark. That's great. He is very nice.

Unfortunately - responsive wasn't my experience.

And I couldn't figure out why. He even admitted over the phone, he had been a bad vendor...

Cheers
Erik