Starbeegyros

rcflier

Hi.

I have tried to place an order with Starbeegyros, but I get no answer.
Anyone know, what's going on?

Cheers
Erik

rcflier

Steve,
that website has been hacked a long time - I don't even know, if it's been hacked, un-hacked and hacked again.
I even tried starbeegyros on Facebook - with a strange result. I'll have to call him/them.

Cheers
Erik

rcflier

Hi - thank you for responding.

Emails were the first I tried. I've emailed back and forth with Dana Linn earlier.

I wonder, if I waited too long...

Cheers
Erik

rcflier

Thanks to Scott Essex I am now in contact with Dana Linn.
They had problems with their DSL (internet line) and their mail program.
I contacted Dana Linn through his principal company and very quickly got an answer.
I was worried, but all is now well.

Thank you everyone for help and suggestions.

And now, onward with the Bee.

Cheers
Erik

rcflier

Update: It looks like Starbeegyros has most of what I need - except seat and cushion.

Which other seat and cushion can I use? I know LEAF has a seat, part number J7150.

And AircraftSpruce has a seat, Part # 05-22600.

What else can I use?

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
You could give some consideration to using a seat tank. From the weight standpoint, I found that there was very little weight difference between seat, plus seat supports, plus fuel tank, plus fuel tank mount, compared to a seat tank and support. It does move the cg forward some though.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
There are many Gyrobee types flying with CalumetAir seat tanks. 'Bee mounting instructions, provided by a customer, are available on my website www.calumetair.com The mounting instructions on the site advocate bending the U tube ends. I suggest using U brackets to mount the tube to the airframe (like most contemporary mfgs do)

rcflier

Hello, Mr. Milton.

I asked the one who'll oversee my Bee build.
He thinks a seat tank is a great idea, so a seat tank it is!

How can I be sure I get all the parts I need?
Stupid question - I know: Should I buy it direct from you or through Starbee?

Cheers
Erik

TERRY LEE

Erik, could you please PM Dana's info to me so I can discuss buying a frame from her. I have been trying to contact them for months now. Thanks, Terry

rcflier

Terry, Dana is the husband.
And I had the same problems. I had to stop trying.
He's not worth dealing with - because you can't.

You can try [email protected].
And I wish you good luck.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:

TERRY LEE

Thanks for the info Erik. I'm just going to build my own combining gyrobee tail, hornet drop keel chassis,and with a Geo Metro 3 cyl engine.

rcflier

Take a look at Jake's gyro. It's a very refined lightweight gyro, based on his many years of experience.
I'm building a standard Bee myself. Afterwards I may experiment… When you have a lathe and a tool mill, there are possibilities.
After all, the Gyrobee is very basic, and the standard parts used back then are not available anymore.

From what I've read, it's not such a good idea using any kind of aeromotive engine in a gyro. Especially in a lightweight machine.
A gyro engine is hard pressed and must be able to run balls-to-the-walls all the time. A car or MC engine is not built for that.
Car and MC engines are heavier. Plus, an MC engine usually comes with a gearbox attached. They both have to have a reduction gear.
You would in reality be a test pilot with a questionable power system...

The usual engine for a Gyrobee-ish machine would be a Rotax 503 or a 582 (IMHO). There are others, but they aren't that common.
I happen to have an old, never used 503 SCSI. Single ignition and single carburetor. I have a set of used carbs if needed.

But now I'm cheating - I just bought an MTO Sport. I needed that to have something to be schooled in. I might sell my Gyrobee stuff.
Or not - I don't know at the moment. It would be fun to finally build my "Time Machine" Bee... I have just about all needed hardware.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:

TERRY LEE

Thanks for the info Erik. I have a degree in Machining and own a mill and lathe. I am going draft the gyro in Solidworks complete, then set-up my tool paths in Mastercam. I would really like to use a blue head 582 Rotax, but they are incredible expensive. I have had a few Quicksilver ultralights and had a buddy that put a Geo Metro engine on his and it worked out great. I would really like to find a 582 that needs rebuilt. I'm just getting started, so nothing is written in stone yet.

PilotMark

I talked with Dana on the phone about 2 months back. I found him helpful and responsive. The parts seem high quality, I wouldn't give up on them yet. I just used the phone number on their website.

rcflier

Hi Mark. That's great. He is very nice.

Unfortunately - responsive wasn't my experience.

And I couldn't figure out why. He even admitted over the phone, he had been a bad vendor...

Cheers
Erik