Starbee website?

gyromike

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Bensen B8MG
Anyone else having trouble bringing up the Starbee website?
http://www.starbeegyros.com/
I keep getting alerts from my Chrome browser, or it says "site can't be displayed" in Internet Explorer.
I can view the site on my phone using Chrome however.

The Starbee website comes up for me on Google Mike.

The site is fine. It may not be compatible with some versions of Micro$oft Internet Explorer...like so many sites these days.

Bear in mind that if you look at the NEWS page the last entery is from Dec 2015 and several items on it refer to the site having been hacked.

If the site is alive and kicking then it would be prudent for the owners to give some NEWS post hacking.

Just a thought.

Works fine on Chrome. I do use IE on occasion, but only long enough to download Chrome. However the site hasn't been updated in considerable time. My cache is cleared so it isn't retrieving a locally stored version of the page.

What may be happening is traversing the site via the search bar rather than the URL bar is sending those who are experiencing difficulties to google or bing first, and the search engine is blocking the site due to old issues that have not been cleared. I am not specifically seeing that problem, but certain anti-virus software does wacky stuff when interacting with search engines and I am not inclined to setup a Windoze machine just to test such a theory.

You would be amazed how many people, given a complete and valid URL, will still go through their default search engine rather than directly to the URL. A great multitude or folks misuse their browsers in that fashion and are oblivious to any other method of operation.

That said, the StarBee site is in need of update and maintenance.

Last edited:
I did search for the URL at first because I didnt remember the address.
I'll clear out my cache when I get home and try again.

I recently asked them a question. It took some time, but I got a nice answer.
So they are alive and kicking, just website can't be 1st priority.

To me it seems like they are the only supplier of 1" x 2" 6061-T6.
In two months, I should be able to buy some alu to build my Gyrobee.
If I can buy all alu oversize, then I can afford a few mistakes in machining.

Cheers
Erik

Mike,

I was speaking generally about people doing a "search" for http://www.starbeegyros.com rather than entering the URL in the URL window. Searching for something unknown or forgotten is the reason for search engines. I did not intend my comment to be a specific critique, but rather a very general speculation of what might be going on for some folks.

Wicks Aircraft and Online Metals sell 1x2 more economically.

Mike,

I was speaking generally about people doing a "search" for http://www.starbeegyros.com rather than entering the URL in the URL window. Searching for something unknown or forgotten is the reason for search engines. I did not intend my comment to be a specific critique, but rather a very general speculation of what might be going on for some folks.

I know what you meant Jon. I just thought I wasn't clear in my first post.

It does aggravate me also to see someone type in a web address in Google when they could just type it in the address bar. Someone I work with does this, and when I ask him why, I get a deer-in-the-headlights look.

His elevator goes to the top, but the doors don't open!

When buying 1x2 and 2x2, make REALLY sure it's actually 6061-T6. The industry makes much more 6063-T5 than 6061-T6 in this shape -- probably because it's easier to make, more corrosion-resistant and plenty strong enough to frame up supermarket doors. Some suppliers will try to palm off the softer 6063 material.

A good supplier of tubing for gyros and other aircraft will also cull the junk out of a run of extrusions. When buying this stuff, I've received deeply-scratched, gouged and dented material, as well as pieces that were crooked, a mile out of spec in wall thickness, not square, cold-shorted and blah, blah, blah.

A gyro mast ought to be just as good as it can be.

2x2 aluminum tubing is made by a “bridge die” extrusion process; meaning each of the 4 walls first emerges from the die as 4 separate, keystone shaped pieces and are pressed together while still semi-molten. Normally, the corner welds are sound but not always.

Bensen, upon receipt of a shipment of 2x2 tube, always sawed of a 1” long piece and squeezed it diagonally in a vise to verify the integrity of the corner welds.

It would behoove individuals to also perform this test when reeving a shipment regardless of markings. I’ve seen 2x2 tube split open line a banana peel following a rollover.

I always cut my airframe tubes long enough to take an inch off each end for the vice test, over the years I have had one end ok but fail on the other, I also test the temper against a known tube.
Norm

So , in this case : Who is the most reliable (quality wise ) supplier of 6061-T6 aluminum square tubings these days. Once I got from Online Metals horribly crooked 2x2. I could put a big pen between two of them ( 6' long ) attached at both ends.But (my fault) I never specified ,neither asked the supplier before ordering, because their advertising specs looked just right.

Last edited: