Spring has sprung

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Looks like spring has sprung; 97F (36C) at my location in Florida at 5:15 PM today according to the NWS.

We"ve had light snow all day in Colorado, covering the lawn but not sticking to pavement. That's typical spingtime in the Rockies, although making it harder to do Easter egg hunts outdoors.

Normally we notice the arrival of spring when the rain starts getting warmer, but this last week has been just beautiful sunshine and light winds. Doubtless we'll pay for it in the summer. Still, it helps keep spirits up in the lockdown. Stay well (away from everyone else).

I'm getting 2-4 inches of snow right now...

The pasture sure is looking great this year; the cow's bellies are draggin' in the tall, green grass...

It is currently 14.4C (58F) at KSMX, Santa Maria,CA with visibility greater than ten miles and wind calm.

Except for a few days of rain it has been nice gyroplane flying weather all month.

Just as I had feared, global cooling is upon us. Yesterday was cold, wet and miserable; 61F (16C) at noon.

But thankfully, we appear to be headed back toward normal; 86F (30C) today at 3:30 PM.

Last edited:
We have had a beautiful spell of weather, but forecast is for temperatures to drop back down. Stu in Tampa has enjoyed some very nice weather.

Spring sprang, and is about to disappear for a spell.

I'm surprised you don't do the snowbird thing Chuck. Winters in Florida, spring and summer up in the NC mountains...

I did occasionally when I was a kid, Ron. My grandmother had a summer place near Asheville and used to go up every year via Pullman train. She dipped snuff and I can still remember her handing the Pullman porter her spit can, he standing at attention in his starched white uniform.

Florida could get pretty miserable in the summer in the age before universal air conditioning. Not that it gets all that hot but summer temperatures in the low 90s with humidity in the same range isn’t much fun.

I did live there for 2 years ( Cape Coral ) back in around 2000-2002. Plus my folks are both from Miami and we still have family there. Heck thinking about it, only myself and my sister are the only family that is NOT still living in Florida.

I agree that summertime heat isn't what is bad, its the humidity. And I agree that it could be dealt with if you spend a good amount of time in the air conditioning.

IDK, I just find the mountains of NC / SC / Georgia to be beautiful. If I ever get to the point where I can retire, I would like to have a place somewhere in or near the mountains and a place in Florida ( cause I Hate the cold )

Spring has Spring in Southern California. Our State flower, the California Poppy.

The last photo is from Soaring Magazine back in 1992. The TG-2 in the photo is from a long time friend of mine, Jeff Byard. Unfortunately, the color of the poppies in that covor photo is washed out.

Enjoy,

Wayne

Attachments

• img001a.jpg
    img001a.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 9
  • img002a.jpg
    img002a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 9
  • img003a.jpg
    img003a.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 9
  • img004a.jpg
    img004a.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1992Jul_full.jpg
    1992Jul_full.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 14
The TG-2 is one of my favorite warbirds.

The poppies are gorgeous, Wayne but I presume are not the same variety that yields opium.

Nope, no opium in those poppies Chuck. A good thing for sure.

In years past, I've flown with Jeff in the TG-2. He found the airframe as a derelict behind a bakery in Bishop, California and painstakingly restored back into flying condition. It is a very beautiful glider.

By Thursday of this week here in Santa Clarita, CA it is expected to be near 100 degrees, then cool down back into the 80s by the beginning of next week.

Wayne

Only a Californian would know this song!!!!!!!!!!!.

Attachments

• california_poppy_song.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
The poppies are gorgeous, Wayne but I presume are not the same variety that yields opium.
They're more like the "Flanders Fields" poppies of Remembrance / Veteran's Day in appearance, but the color is golden-orange instead of the red blossoms worn on lapels in November. They "popped" up in my garden in San Jose unexpectedly one year and proved to be quite a hardy plant thereafter. In a bit of a breeze they look like butterfly wings quivering.

I do remember singing that song in school when I was in Kindergarten. Honestly, I haven't heard or read the lyrics since that time period. I don't think children in school within the state are even taught that song anymore. Most likely because the song is not political enough.

I for one will always be in awe with the beauty of nature, and never take it for granted. I agree with the quivering wings of a butterfly analogy when the poppies are in blowing wind.

Chuck, I've spent time in the panhandle (Tyndall AFB), and upper Eastern Coast (NAS Jacksonville). I remember the summer nights being as hot and humid as the day time, whereas the summer nights in Thailand and the Philippines to me felt cooler.

Wayne

Lots of water = lots of humidity,Wayne. Looking down at the surface from 30,000 ft in an airliner, Florida appears to be ½ water.

I joined the Army to see the world but they send me all the way across the state, 90 miles to Boca Raton, the Army Air Force radar school where I get yanked as an instructor.

Not to be denied, I took a 30 day furlough and hitch hiked around the country; to Los Angeles, San Francisco and then hops on military flights to Chicago and then hitch hiking back to my base.

One of the things that impressed me in the Southwest was the evaporative coolers on cars, a gadget that hooked on a window and used a wet wick to cool off the incoming air. Even some buildings had evaporative coolers. Cool and clammy.

Thank heavens for modern air conditioning.

My grandmother’s first fridge in Kenya was an ‘evaporative cooler' type. It was a zinc metal box with a front door, enclosed in a bigger chicken wire enclosure filled with big lumps of charcoal and hung from a tree. Every half an hour the cook would come out and pour water over the charcoal. The evaporation would cool the metal box and its contents.

I lived in Nairobi where we had electricity, a modern house and mains water. To visit my Grandparents farm house way out in the bush, where they had no electricity, the roof was corrugated iron, just Tilly lights, and rather brown water from the dam pumped up by a ram, was to my mind very primitive indeed.

For them it was rushing into the modern age when they got a Lister generator, and a kerosene fridge.