SportCopter II - UPDATE

How much is the base model?

Newest Instrument Panel

Attachments

• IMG_3768.jpg
    IMG_3768.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1
""The base kit model is $84,995.00 less engine, propeller and avionics. The pricing will vary depending on what options you add. ""

Thanks - How much roughly ( ballpark ) if go with the standard kit, ie you add the engine and prop and rotors and basic avionics and basic paint scheme - thanks

""The base kit model is $84,995.00 less engine, propeller and avionics. The pricing will vary depending on what options you add. ""

Thanks - How much roughly ( ballpark ) if go with the standard kit, ie you add the engine and prop and rotors and basic avionics and basic paint scheme - thanks

You are welcome. You would be looking around $161,000 USD (estimate).

Last edited:
Still too much for me, if it comes down to $160K I'm in! :D

Does SportCopter have an aversion to the 912/914?

Just curious.

-John

Just curious.

-John

I can't answer for SportCopter but I will give an opinion. They won't accommodate a direct drive prop, (require a re-drive), they won't make 230hp (80-115 turbo charged standard), they are very expensive for the HP that they do make, they won't accommodate a constant speed prop, they don't have a 2000hr TBO and virtually all the Euro machines that use them are under powered.

Last edited:
".....and virtually all the Euro machines that use them are under powered"

Are you sure.

Bear in mind these underpowered engines are fitted to

over 1100 MT-03/MTOsport
over 350 Calidus
over 145 Cavaons
over 850 Magni gyro ( M14,M16,M22,M24 )
over 200 Xenons/Zen1/Tercel
over 30 Arrowcopters
over 50 Trixy

How can this be.

".....and virtually all the Euro machines that use them are under powered"

Are you sure.

Bear in mind these underpowered engines are fitted to

over 1100 MT-03/MTOsport
over 350 Calidus
over 145 Cavaons
over 850 Magni gyro ( M14,M16,M22,M24 )
over 200 Xenons/Zen1/Tercel
over 30 Arrowcopters
over 50 Trixy

How can this be.

Yes, I believe they are all under powered, just my opinion of coarse. My RAF has the fuel injected 130hp sub and I wish I had the larger 2.5L 165 hp eng. On a hot day you can get into trouble fast with out the extra power. None of the Rotax engines create enough extra power for the application they are generally being used for, IMHO, and certainly are not worth the money they command for the hp they make.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the SCII is just a step above all the "euro gyros" in size. The empty weight is 1000# and the Gross would be in the 1500# to 1600# range which is way too heavy for a rotax.

Just curious.

-John

Hi Stan V.,

I believe the TBO *is*, in fact, 2000 hours. The older models had 1,500 hour TBO's.

As far as being underpowered, my experience is vastly different. I flew 2 912-powered MTO Sports, and a 914-powered Magni M16. None were underpowered. I weigh about 220 pounds and with Dayton Dabbs (my instructor in the Magni), the only real problem I had was keeping it from climbing.

Desmon Butts taught Farmer Jim (300# of big, lovable gyronaut!) in the summer...in Texas...in a 912-powered MTO! That made a believer out of me.

-John

The subject of power in any given aircraft is always a hot button issue. I can't think of anyone that doesn't long for more power from an aircraft. I once spoke with a former SR-71 pilot at an EAA dinner event and he related to me a story in which he was flying from Langley Virginia to Beale AFB California. He had a bit of a delay getting airborne and was running behind. Waiting for him in California was a former Playboy Bunny that he was going to take to dinner. On that particular day even the SR-71 seemed "slow" to him.

My 180 HP 889 lb. Carbon Cub has never lacked for power. Don't want or need more. I'm a happy camper!

My 180 HP 889 lb. Carbon Cub has never lacked for power. Don't want or need more. I'm a happy camper!

Most would want a faster cruise speed, I know I would. Especially for that fuel consumption.

Surely you are not comparing your CC to a rotorcraft. Apples and bananas. So your point is.....?

I have the 130HP EJ2.2 on the Shredo. It's a good flier but not like a CC or a Highlander fixed wing (my p.preference over a CC). Duh, it's a gyroplane and is different. Still, I believe there is much that can be done on most gyros by tuning the props and rotor-blades. Since going to a longer and 4 blade prop the performance is much increased. I'm now thinking a slightly different rotor might make an improvement.

Could be that many of these machines driven by 912's have done a better job, than others, in choosing props and rotors.

The eurogyros all seem aimed at the cross-country crowd. A streamlined tandem gyro with 100 HP can go 100 MPH, but where it suffers will be in required takeoff run and climb rate, especially when loaded and/or high & hot.

The SCII is made to get two big cops and their gear off the ground with a short run and climb briskly. It's designed around different priorities than the European tandems.

There are good real world examples of owners flying their Rotax powered gyros on the Auto-Gyro Facebook page

images of flying, and touring over Zambia, Botswana, South Africa, Costa Rica and Europe - clocking hours and hours of flight time.

see

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AutoGyro-GmbH/177908992251172

The Magni dealer in Australia recently flew a new Rotax powered Magni right across Australia for a customer delivery.

Remember those grand US multi day tours with Rotax gyros flown by Chris.

A dozen French pilots flew up from France and toured the UK and up to Scotland last summer in their Rotax gyro machines for a two week tour.

Many tours around Southern Africa in Rotax powered gyros of all makes.

They fly, they work, they tour, they sell right across the world.

Steve

sure they sell all across the world its the only choice of 3 company to buy for some year with some look production and aircraft engine