Sportcopter 2-any have one built and flying? Reviews?

JMoCrane

Total Flight Time
2 in FW and 1 in trike
I'm looking into getting a sportcopter 2 and would like some first hand opinions/reviews to get a clear picture on the pros/cons over other gyros. Was also interested in the Zenon and the cavalon. I live in California just south of the Bay Area. Jim vanick was telling me the other day that they are setting up a dealer/training facility in the Bay Area later this year (hopefully) so that will make training a lot easier. Obviously going to have to go full private pilot to fly the existing version of the SCII as it's out of LSA regs with weight and variable pitch prop. I would definitely want to take off from home field which is not very long or smooth and is in a bowl of mountains so figured the extra hp would go a long way.
Also, does anyone know the particulars of what is involved in getting permission for a private landing strip?
Thanks,
Josh

""I'm looking into getting a sportcopter 2...""

Only three on the FAA

N583SC
N546SC
N372GC

Xenon - approx 180 built for customers worldwide ( 10 or so in the US )

Cavalon - approx 80 built so far in about 2 years, for customers worldwide ( 2 in the US so far )

The SC II has had a long gestation.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve,
Apparently there is a dealer in Australia for sportcopter. Didn't know if any possible owners down there are members here or if the 3 owners frequent here as well.

Anything wrong with having a long "gestational" period to test and refine?

The only drawback for me is that it really looks like a tadpole.
Not a deal breaker though.

Is there anyway to see where the three you mentioned are based out of?

Thanks,
Josh

I would definitely want to take off from home field which is not very long or smooth and is in a bowl of mountains so figured the extra hp would go a long way.
Also, does anyone know the particulars of what is involved in getting permission for a private landing strip?
Thanks,
Josh
Are you in Santa Cruz County there?
They have been very hostile to rotorcraft, to the point of adopting an explicit formal Board policy against helicopters operating in the county other than police and EMS aircraft and only then as absolutely necessary. There was a fellow a few years back not far from Boulder Creek with an R-44 who was in a big legal wrangle with the county over trying to put a helipad on his land. The dispute came to an end when he wound up upside down in a lake on his way to Alaska, so it never got resolved, but the official attitude was very, very unfriendly.

If you want a "landing strip" you might want to avoid mentioning rotorcraft or anything that sounds like "copter" . . .

Wow thanks, I didn't know that. Guess I should stick to referring it as a gyroplane...:)
Yeah, I'm luckily in a very remote part of boulder creek with 180 acres where we only have 1 visible neighbor at least 1/2 mile away from the possible strip. We have off-road UTV's that he thought were electric--guess its the way the sound carries.

Any idea on how many neighbors have to be questioned about a strip or is the FAA who does the questioning?
I tried to research my own answers about all this online but came up dry. I figured it had to have been done by one of you guys.

To wasp air: I'm still trying to get my friend to find time for us to come by for that flight and thank you again for offering.
Thanks,
Josh

Any idea on how many neighbors have to be questioned about a strip or is the FAA who does the questioning?

Generally it's not the FAA that's the problem. It's State, county and local ordinances that are the problem. And those vary from state to state, county to county and different locations. Also who you know and how wealthy you are.

Are you in Santa Cruz County there?
They have been very hostile to rotorcraft, to the point of adopting an explicit formal Board policy against helicopters operating in the county other than police and EMS aircraft and only then as absolutely necessary. ...

If you want a "landing strip" you might want to avoid mentioning rotorcraft or anything that sounds like "copter" . . .

JR

In this case, I totaly agree with you. Don't mention gyro Copter. :)

I've never heard one in person and wondered if they really sound like they have rotors instead of just engine and prop. Can't really tell from you tube. I wouldn't fly low in our area anyway just takeoff and go somewhere more rural to fly low and slow. Most distant neighbors wouldn't be around when I take off during day for VFR flying but might be home when coming back. I suppose coming in at near idle fora landing would be pretty quiet.
Thanks,
Josh

I'm looking into getting a sportcopter 2 and would like some first hand opinions/reviews to get a clear picture on the pros/cons over other gyros. Was also interested in the Zenon and the cavalon. I live in California just south of the Bay Area. Jim vanick was telling me the other day that they are setting up a dealer/training facility in the Bay Area later this year (hopefully) so that will make training a lot easier. Obviously going to have to go full private pilot to fly the existing version of the SCII as it's out of LSA regs with weight and variable pitch prop. I would definitely want to take off from home field which is not very long or smooth and is in a bowl of mountains so figured the extra hp would go a long way.
Thanks,
Josh
Josh,

I'm in Los Angeles and also looking for side by side two seater. When the weather warms up I'll check flight the Sport Copter II in Scapoose, OR and then go east to fly the Cavalon in Maryland. If you get anymore info on either, I would love to hear it.

Ken Tipton

Sounds great.
I can't remember if I mentioned it but Jim vanick told me they are trying to set up a dealer and training facility in the Bay Area sometime between mid summer and late fall hopefully. Didn't know if you would want to wait for that before checking in on the sc2. Jim gave me great specs on the sc2 as far as capabilities and features, but would still like to get opinions from a prospective buyer.
Thanks,
Josh

Old thread comes back to life

Newly registered with the FAA on 22 Jan 2014 a new build SC II

N826SC c/n SC008

Steve

Finally.
I think I'll give Jim Vanick a call to see about the Bay Area dealer/training facility.
I'll let you know what I find.
Josh

Josh, the IO360 (I like this engine) and a good pre-rotor should get you off the ground in a very short space. Sport-copter II sounds like a great choice in a side by side gyro (which I prefer too). Go for it!

Anybody know who's got the new one?

On a side note:
I have been into gyros since I found out about the short takeoffs, the low stall speeds, the control, top speed, etc. The planes that I had seen were nowhere near these capabilities back then but the. I ran across the "Just Aircraft Super Stol." This has come surprisingly close with the foldable slatted wings and the crazy suspension/30" tundra tires. When it comes right down to it I'm really not sure what would be the best for me especially considering the area I live in.
Low and slow is the way to go.
It seems like the Sportcopter 2 is the closest thing to it in the gyro world.
Any thoughts?
Josh

Josh,
I can identify with your thinking. For the past 40 years, I have bought and sold many airplanes while trying to find the ultimate STOL aircraft, I finally built one from a Cessna 175 with $40,000 in modifications. I also was impressed with the Just Aircraft and it's automatic leading edge slats, and then I remembered that the wind blows all the time and that aircraft is a big kit in wind. Then I discovered the gyroplane at Oshkosh many years ago and sold myself on it's ability to land on a dime, plus take off very short and wind does not bother it like it does a fixed wing. I sold my ultimate STOL Bush plane and purchased the Vortex M912 and have been flying it since.

I clicked on the link posted above and my gyro was not listed. I discovered that everything has to be perfect. My gyro did not have the Sport Copter name, but Vortex M912 did bring it up.

I was at Scappoose last year and noted that they had numerous Sport Copter II carbon fiber fuselages being painted, so figured that they were shipping kits out the door. I didn't ask Jim about this because I have a Vortex M912 and was working on it.

The year before last in May, I was also at Sport Copter and they had finished the testing on the Sport Copter II having solved the cooling issues with the design/engine and were turning it back over to it's owner Marv, who flew it home.

Anybody know who's got the new one?

On a side note:
I have been into gyros since I found out about the short takeoffs, the low stall speeds, the control, top speed, etc. The planes that I had seen were nowhere near these capabilities back then but the. I ran across the "Just Aircraft Super Stol." This has come surprisingly close with the foldable slatted wings and the crazy suspension/30" tundra tires. When it comes right down to it I'm really not sure what would be the best for me especially considering the area I live in.
Low and slow is the way to go.
It seems like the Sportcopter 2 is the closest thing to it in the gyro world.
Any thoughts?
Josh

Money is going to come in to play here, a new STOL aircraft will cost a couple hundred thousand $ or more, the Sport-Copter not as much. The airplane will be insureable, the gyro maybe not so much so.

Good point about the wind issues. I was thinking about that when I said "etc".

I thought that the plane would cost more too but then I called the Just Aircraft dealer in NC and he said that the kit build would be about 70-80k and to buy one factory built would be 110-120k. That's not bad when Jim told me that the cost of the sc2 could end up at 160k with the IO360 set up.

One question for you guys:
When you are landing in a rough field do you have trouble with the gyro wanting to roll over sideways? I'm thinking of the troubles that the three wheeled vehicles used to have when turning or sideways on a hill. It seems like all the gyros are tricycle gear setups. Are there any tail dragger types or is that not possible with a gyro?
I have seen that when they put floats on a gyro it's more of a 4 point bracing which made me wonder if it would be better with 4 wheels with the added weight sacrifice?
Would bigger tires help like on the super stol?
Thanks guys,
Josh

The Just aircraft isn't putting a Lycoming in their ship and no constant speed prop eather, apples and orange thing. Compare the SC II with a Husky. You can tip over any gyro if you don't pay attention, about like ground looping a tail drager. You're not done flying until it's tied down. Insurance should be an issue, price it out, unless money doesn't matter(it doesn't to some). They'll be many windy days that you won't be able to fly the STOL F/W that would be just fun in the gyro.

Last edited:
You're right about the lycoming. They said that they could put in a Rotax or a jabiru but said they could put in an in flight adjustable prop (any difference with the constant speed prop?)
The insurance is something I hadn't really thought about yet. How would you price it out? Would having a gyro requiring a ppl cost more to insure?

"You're flying until your tied down" I like that.

I'll see if I can talk to Jim today to get some more info on sc2 status and Bay Area dealer etc.