Sportcopter 2-any have one built and flying? Reviews?

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
I believe that if you have to adjust your course around bad landing zones,then you probably should buy a Harley and stay on the ground.

All aircraft are point A to point B in a straight line in my opinion,of course there are exceptions like no fly zones,restricted air space,etc.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I have yet to fly in a straight line to anywhere.

I love wandering around the sky.

The fewer places to land there are the higher I fly.

When I fly in the Sierra foothills I fly from clearing to clearing rather than direct over the heavily forested hills and I fly a little higher above ground.

When I am teaching maneuvers that increase the chance of an engine out I climb a little higher to have more options.

I don't fly over open water for the same reason.

A gyroplane comes down pretty fast when the engine stops restricting the landing options.

I feel Richard is on the right track planning for emergency landings.

In my opinion the tall stance of the Sport Copter II is beautiful.

I am not fond of the power/pitch coupling that comes with high thrust line gyroplanes.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
That's the smart play Vance,But I have confidence in my machine and I have always flown that way, its hard to teach an old dog new

tricks. When ever I am over large bodies of water my engine go's to auto rough running or it sure sounds that way.

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
I hear they have been working on a new set of products, but I've also heard that story for some time.
Think of Jim V. as a custom gunsmith who doesn't aggressively market himself.
Quality and function are paramount; all else is secondary.
He won't introduce a new gyro until he is manifestly satisfied with it. I like that attitude.
His machines simply work, and they last. (They also strongly maintain resale value.)

If, however, a gyro shopper wants something cheaper and quicker, he's many choices . . .

A standard gyro would break the landing gear, and maybe your back. The SCII looks like it could gobble up that vertical energy.
Yes, I think it would. There is a lot of drop protection built in, including the seat and bracketry, as well as the suspension.

In an emergency landing you should know how to land with Zero roll. Its the takeoff where suspension would be needed. The zero roll landing requires a good flare not no flare. Am I missing something?
Yes, fara, I believe so.
Sport Copter gyros (I've flown a couple) are much more forgiving during landing.
Jim demonstrated a dropped in crabbed landing, something that would have tipped over most other gyros, and certainly my RAF.
It would take quite a botched landing in a SC gyro to bite you.

Regards, Kolibri

Last edited:

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
Vance;n1129882 said:
I have yet to fly in a straight line to anywhere.

I love wandering around the sky.

The fewer places to land there are the higher I fly.

When I fly in the Sierra foothills I fly from clearing to clearing rather than direct over the heavily forested hills and I fly a little higher above ground.

When I am teaching maneuvers that increase the chance of an engine out I climb a little higher to have more options.

I don't fly over open water for the same reason.

A gyroplane comes down pretty fast when the engine stops restricting the landing options.
It's wise to have a plan B (and maybe C and D). But there are limits. If it add 20% to my trip, I'll take a safer route. I've flown across Lake Michigan, where it would have added 100's of miles to go around. That said, I try not to be to far from options. And altitude gives options.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Kolibri;n1129888 said:
Think of Jim V. as a custom gunsmith who doesn't aggressively market himself.
Quality and function are paramount; all else is secondary.
He won't introduce a new gyro until he is manifestly satisfied with it. I like that attitude.
His machines simply work, and they last. (They also strongly maintain resale value.)

If, however, a gyro shopper wants something cheaper and quicker, he's many choices . . .

Yes, I think it would. There is a lot of drop protection built in, including the seat and bracketry, as well as the suspension.

Yes, fara, I believe so.
Sport Copter gyros (I've flown a couple) are much more forgiving during landing.
Jim demonstrated a dropped in crabbed landing, something that would have tipped over most other gyros, and certainly my RAF.
It would take quite a botched landing in a SC gyro to bite you.

Regards, Kolibri
Aircraft are not designed to crash and keep going generally.
Someone here had an engine out and crashed their SC gyro on grass in a tight spot. They had to put it down. It flipped over, broke apart, hurt the pilot who had t go to the hospital. All that happened. No aircraft is made to do that stuff. You can't expect to drop it in and expect nothing will happen. Something may likely happen. I had the opportunity to look at the crashed SC components including the banged up and broken rotor blades. They are still sitting in our shop somewhere. That pilot now flies an AR-1. Another person who now flies an AR-1 who used to fly a SC is Mark Treidel. He had to wait a very long time and drop the price quite a bit to sell his SC gyro.
So I would be careful making claims like you are doing. They are not really holding always true from my first hand observation.

Last edited:

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
Someone here had an engine out and crashed their SC gyro on grass in a tight spot. They had to put it down. It flipped over, broke apart, hurt the pilot who had t go to the hospital. All that happened.
And he lived, to fly again. How much of his survival was due to the SC's suspension?
How much of the crash damage was due to the way he crashed, vs. SC's design and construction?
He now flies an AR-1? Was that because of budgetary constraints?
If he'd had the exact same crash in an AR-1, would his injuries been the same, or less, or more?

You should be careful with your insinuations, i.e., that something lacking in that SC gyro increased the severity of the gyro damage and his injuries.

I had the opportunity to look at the crashed SC components including the banged up and broken rotor blades. They are still sitting in our shop somewhere.
OK, and how would your Averso Stella components have looked after the same crash?

You can't expect to drop it in and expect nothing will happen. Something may likely happen.
Wow, where did I claim that the gyro would be flyable after such a hard landing, or that no injuries would result?
I'd trust my back more in an SC than any other gyro I know of.

Another person who now flies an AR-1 who used to fly a SC is Mark Treidel. He had to wait a very lng time and drop the price quite a bit to sell his SC gyro.
His anecdotal sale doesn't disprove my assertion that SCs strongly maintain resale value.
Also, we don't know what he had into it, and if he'd overpaid a bit, etc.
Maybe he wanted to go from a pricey single-place to an affordable 2-place such as your AR-1?

Regards, Kolibri

mark treidel

Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3000 +
I did not want to contribute to this thread but it seems time to do so.
I do not have a dog in this fight; only a commonality of many hours of experience in both aircraft.
Both mfgrs. have their own vested interest and engineering experience and their respective ways of doing business.
Both machines have their idiosyncrasies & strong points as do the owners of the companies.
Both are costly investments (inclusive of the rotor systems).
Regardless of personal opinion, I feel it is time to put this (as well as the rotor) thread to rest. At this point it appears they no longer serve
a useful purpose unless the intention is to continually sling needless crap and attitude to fuel some self serving
sadistic pleasure. Pissing matches have no place here. We used to have an internet troll here on the forum that went by the name of 'the last church'.
Some of the older folks here remember him clearly and (collectively) were ever so happy when the moderators finally banned
his useless input for life. Perhaps it's time for a little more respect for one another and certainly a lot less testosterone slinging.
If this hurts your sensitive feelings, well, frankly Scarlett.....

Last edited:

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1000+
Uh, Tomgyro, what was actually "said" by Mark?
That all parties have their own point of view, self-interests, ways of doing things, etc.?

I'd like to see the issues of quality engineering and construction laid out for all to see.
It'd be nice if such could be done factually, and without evasion, or innuendo, or smears.
I've tried to remain civil, but I won't take crap. I try not to initially give out crap.

I don't mind if threads get a little edgy, as that's often when very useful things emerge.
If that unsettles some folks, they don't have to read them.

Regards, Kolibri

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
a brief update - two SCII appear among the recent cancellation data from the FAA ( early May 2020 ), both show reason as expiration

N583SC ship 001
N852SC ship 008

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
I flew one a couple times this week. (Have flown them on 2 other occasions as well)
I have flown in a Xenon
I haven't ever seen a Cavalon in person, but by judging the Barnstormers list of gyros for sale any Cavalon I may end up seeing will most likely be second hand.
For whatever reason people don't hang on to them. I have some theories on that.
To the original poster, who all these years later may have bought a horse instead of a gyro, I would say this,"
If you want top end quality, and plan to fly off unimproved lots regularly, there really IS no choice"
The other birds lightweight construction just will not handle the bumps and jumps like the SC2. And the Cavalons construction I was told can't take a hard hit or the whole machine can be a write off of there is any kind of cracking.( this may not be the case, as I said, I haven't seen one yet)
Now all these years later Jims M2 is going to rewrite the book. Period.
My praise is no big surprise to many, Jim and I are friends.
Still doesn't change the fact he is completing the details for a ridiculously powerful side by side designed for rough terrain use!
Name aanother rig that is available that is suitable for mustering or pig hunting and can take off from crappy fields constantly.
Sure isnt a Xenon or Cavalon. Orion? Not a chance.
The rig literally looks like it was made to take a beating (like rocky balboa) . The suspension is incredibly over built, I bet its got more travel then my klx 250.
It will take a while before its ready. Jims stuff always does, if his business acumen doesn't meet up with your time constraints, shop elsewhere, just don't try saying its because his gear wasn't up to snuff.
They set the bar.

SportCopter

Aircraft
Vortex M912, SportCopterII, Vortex 582
SCIIs N583SC and N852SC are being renewed now with a 2025 expiration.

Thank you Ben for the high praise, it was good to have you here recently! Just after you left we painted the first M2's tail, and we'll post photos soon. The M2 is going through its final assembly for the imminent first flight!