Sport Rotors

GyroChuck

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Mosquito XE-285, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
I have a question about the heavier 2-place rotorhead used with the Sport Rotors blades. I was told to use a weeping type grease to lube the rotorhead. I was wondering what others are using and the type of grease and where to purchase it from.

"weeping" grease

"weeping" grease

This is Aeroshell "14". You can find it anywhere people are servicing Hughes 269 or 300 series helicopters. This is also the specified grease for McCulloch J-2 heads.
You will only need a little and they sell it in 5 gallon buckets. I have about 4 gallons left so if you can't find any elsewhere, I will bring some to Mentone with me.
It is specifically for use in bearings that don't rotate. In other words, bearings that oscillate need this stuff as it flows under the influence of gravity ( or centrifugal force) , back into the area of movement and pressure. Standard grease will be displaced and will not flow back leaving a dry bearing and ultimate failure.

Tommy Milton must surely have some as this is required in J-2 maintenanace.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron, thats what I needed.

I did speak with Tom about it yesterday. He said it had to be an Aero Shell #.
I'll see if he has some.

Just talked to Sportcopter this morning and was told to use Aeroshell #14, at appoximately every 10 hours.

Udi,
Yes. On a Dominator head the main bearing needs to be greased about twice a year. This is done by pumping the grease through the fitting mounted on one end of the flap stop. You should fill until grease is weeping out of the bottom of the bearing block.No fancy grease needed white lithium should do. The needle roller bearings should be kept moist with grease. The other thing people forget about is the prerotator busing on the bendix. Dad just had a customer who brought his Dominator in because the rotorhead had a noise in it.Turned out the bushing was bone dry and the ring gear was out of round.

Last edited:
Aeroshell 14

Aeroshell 14

Craig J.,
Yes, I corrected my post. I guess my brain was dull last night when I posted. Aeroshell 7 (or Mobil 28) is used in the helicopter and J-2 main rotor thrust bearing and #14 is used in the flapping hinges.
I really do have a 5-gallon tub of it! (#14).

Ron,

I know what you mean about having a dull mind. I find myself second guessing myself more often than not these days. I just recently installed one of Vanek's new rotorheads and blades on my Sycamore. I'm anxious to see how his blades fly on this two place.

Thanks all. I found AeroShell 14 thru Aircraft Spruce. It comes in a 14oz. tube for $5.50. :)