Sport Rotors are Tough!

STATEMENT FROM SPORT COPTER CUSTOMER:

As I was on approach over the trees to come in for a landing in a rough field, I suddenly saw a Hawk fly out of the tree. I thought he was going to go left, but he flew straight up then I heard the hawk hit my rotors, as well as felt a slight bump. The hawk was completely severed and the Vortex never missed a beat. I proceeded to land and upon inspection I found a couple small dents underneath the rotors (maybe from the talons). After speaking to the factory, thorough inspection (of my rotor system as well as my control system) and lunch with mom, I flew 30 miles back home and I did not have any stick shake at all. I flew it again a couple days later and there still was no stick shake. Of course the factory advised me to change out my rotorblades. However, due to these not being powered and the slight amount of damage received I will continue to fly them, which the factory said was okay with on condition inspections. The blades are perfectly straight and smooth and the bond line was not broken at all. I am still confident in the rotors to fly. I feel the reason the rotors did not receive more damage is because of the lead lag system and urethane dampened mount which allows the blades to move. It’s AMAZING…..I cannot believe how tough Sport Rotors are!!! This was no small hawk (as you can see in the photo). Sport Copter has customers flying two seat machines with over 3000 hours on a single set of rotorblades. They even informed me that the M912 is approved in Australia for cattle mustering operations (known as herding here in the states), as I use my machine on my family’s ranch. If you are looking for a new set of rotorblades, I highly recommend Sport Rotors! This machine is designed for heavy rough field use. I fly off pastures a lot (no need for an airport) so I upgraded my tires to larger Tundra tires. In discussion with the factory, they decided to make me a larger custom nosewheel. The suspension and tires allow such smooth travel on rough terrain.

Attachments

phantom

Glad you are ok, remember that our gyro blades are only unpowered when we are flying in clean air, as soon as a blade hits something it becomes a powered rotor , it's not powered by an engine but the blade That didn't hit anything powers the blade that is trying to stop so there is a lot of stress on the blade root attachment , things like this can come back to haunt you later, back in the late 60 s or early 70 there was a gyro that had a blade that hit a snow bank and the blade looked fine but a few hours later one of the other blades failed , it was an 18 a certified gyro.
Norm

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
I hit a hawk with mine about 3 years ago while landing. The blades shook for a short period of time due to crap on the blades. Quickly it slid off and the blades went to balance again.
I don't think the blades lost even one RPM. A couple of small scratches is all that shows.
I was very pleased with the results. It increased my confidence in the blades a lot.

BEN S

I can vouch unfortunately for just how tough their blades are! Wrecked a set trying to pull a off a stunt better left to the imagination. Full flying speed right into the ground, no they werent able to fly, they looked like a big huge pretzel, but the amazing thing was they didnt delaminate,Crack or break in any way. I was truly surprised at the lack of damage. Too bad they couldnt be straightened out as the replacements cost a pretty penny!

Here are photos of the damage done to the rotors, as requested. The hawk had hit on the leading edge which is made of nearly solid aluminum. Due to the blades proper alloy and strength only the paint was damaged. I honestly feel terrible as I had no intentions of causing harm to the hawk. I did do a low buzz over the trees first but for some reason it did not flush all the birds out. The hawk flew up so fast there was not enough time to react to avoid it. This is a great example as to why you need to buzz over the trees first to scare the birds away before flying over for an approach path. This could have turned into a much worse situation. I thank Sport Copter for engineering such a strong and safe machine! My new large tundra tires are 800-6 on the nose and 22/800-6 on the mains. These tires are amazing to use with the suspension when flying off pastures and rough fields.

Attachments