Sport Copter Vortex 582.

Just saw in your profile you have a Rans S-9 Nice me too just picked it up no flights yet.
Very fun plane. Does everything you want. Loops, rolls, inverted if you have pumper carbs. I would do 8 spins before I pulled out. I sold it a while back.

Mine has a 503 at present. I'm building a Rotax 670 like the one Rotax Rick builds. Don't know if I should run a SB 44 Mikuni single or a pair of pumper carbs. What did you run?

Mine has a 503 at present. I'm building a Rotax 670 like the one Rotax Rick builds. Don't know if I should run a SB 44 Mikuni single or a pair of pumper carbs. What did you run?
I started out with a 503 with single pumper carb. I switched to a 582 with bing carbs so I couldn't invert but went faster. The 503 did just fine. Just needed to think energy is all. 670 with 90hp would be fun to try though. The plane itself in my opinion was very safe. I was always able to correct and fly out of any situation I got myself into. You had to fly it all the time though. Couldn't take your hand off the stick or feet off the peddles.

Mine has a 503 at present. I'm building a Rotax 670 like the one Rotax Rick builds.
Andy,

We have an S10 and the previous owner was a snowmobile guy. His field elevation was 7,800 ft., so he had installed a 670. The S10 is a rocket ship with that engine. We found a crack in the motor mount, took it to our welder and he found 2 more. You'll need to beef up the motor mount to handle the extra power of the 670.

We couldn't get our 670 to run properly in the mid-range (probably wrong exhaust according to Rotax Rick) and so didn't trust it and put a 582 that our mount was designed for and it flies great. One of these days I want to try the 670 on our Sport Copter Vortex.

Eric

Andy,

We have an S10 and the previous owner was a snowmobile guy. His field elevation was 7,800 ft., so he had installed a 670. The S10 is a rocket ship with that engine. We found a crack in the motor mount, took it to our welder and he found 2 more. You'll need to beef up the motor mount to handle the extra power of the 670.

We couldn't get our 670 to run properly in the mid-range (probably wrong exhaust according to Rotax Rick) and so didn't trust it and put a 582 that our mount was designed for and it flies great. One of these days I want to try the 670 on our Sport Copter Vortex.

Eric
Sounds like a fun plane. Hope you get the 670 figured out.

Modified ROTAX 670 snowmobile engines by "Rotax Rick" being used for aviation.

In an effort to help other rotorcraft guys & not see them experience the frustration & lack of flying time due to engine problems & catastrophic failures, think twice about using the Rotax 670 engine that is modified & promoted by a certain fellow in Florida that goes by the name "Rotax Rick" (not his real name).

Our out-going PRA chapter president installed one purchased from RR on his Sport Copter Vortex. After many hours of flying it around Oregon & Washington (as well as in Utah during ROTR), the many issues he has experienced have caused him to give up on that engine. Excessive fuel consumption is another, additional issue. He related to me he was getting 7+ gph fuel consumption. He is an A&P, and does his own engine work, so he hasn't returned his engine to RR, as others have.

Years ago in our local PRA chapter, we had another chapter member use the 670 engine on his KB-2 gyro. He used it stock as it came from the snowmobile application, & not from RR. He like the idea of 90-95 hp, but didn't care for the sharp jump in engine rpms as it comes onto it's power band. He claimed to have tamed it to run more like an four cycle engine's power band by adding a regular automobile muffler downstream of the Rotax tuned one.

This fellow had taught himself to fly a gyro over a period of many years, and wasn't around w/ us for very long after he achieved soloing himself, as he died w/in months of being diagnosed w/ massive lung cancer. Any guesses as to his very heavy tobacco usage?

Glenn Kerr in Utah installed one 670 from RR on his Butterfly gyroplane, & experienced three seizures while flying it (one each in Utah, during ROTR, in California during the KBFFI, & in Indiana during the PRA convention. The failure in Utah occurred just after he set down on the runway, while the
California one was just off the El Mirage dry lake bed recreational area onto a dusty two-track, & the Indiana one was into a soybean field about five miles west of the Mentone airport.

The other two were emergency landings, & he executed those well. They are documented from his videos he posted on his youtube channel. He sent his engine back to RR to be redone each time, & gave up after the third episode.

I was told that one of the RR 670 engines was found to have gasket sealer used as glue inside it (!), as well as RR sent it back after "rebuilding" it w/ the cylinder head was severely damaged from a prior seizure! RR had been quoted as saying the reason why he had sent it back "rebuilt" to the customer w/ the head damaged, and not replaced/repaired, was that the customer had cost RR too much $$ to correct it! UNBELIEVABLE...

Mentone area bean field emergency landing:

El Mirage dry lake emergency landing:

Also, known is that Mike Boyette installed one of these 670 engines from RR on his Dominator gyro & it had to be rebuilt by RR @ some point. The reason why is unknown to me, but I can imagine it revolves around the same issues others have had w/ their 670 engines sold to them by RR. Perhaps Mike can chime in here re: his 670 engine experiences.

These examples are only failures I know of. I suspect there have been others that I do not have any knowledge about. RR has marketed his modified 670 engines to the airboat & airplane crowds. Almost 100% of those engines that I know about that were purchased from RR have failed.

There is an exception that I do know of: One bought from RR that was flown on a Dominator-style gyro in Louisiana w/ no apparent issues.

Last edited:
Well I have had really good luck with my 582 rebuild from Rotax Rick in my then Air Command. No issues at all. I haven't had any experience with the 670. But I do know that with any 2 cycle, jetting for proper exhaust temp is extremely important. I wouldn't run one without two EGT's. Proper break in and good oil is also very important. Up here in Minnesota there are a lot of snowmobile racers that only use one certain oil. I also use it. I also mix my gas and oil as I don't trust the oil injection. I failed a crankshaft because of oil injection. I have run a lot of Rotax engines but know they need a lot of attention to keep them going.

Rattler 1, hope I didn't derail your sales thread was not my intention. Regards, Andy.
Not at all. I enjoy it all. No worries.

Gyro has sold.