Sport Copter Vortex 582 radio antenna

Rattler 1

Aircraft
C150-C172-Taylorcraft-Tbird-Rans S9-challenger-Benson-Air Command-Sportcopter
Total Flight Time
Anyone have a pic of where a good place is to mount the radio antenna? Mine is back on the fuel pump mounting bracket. I get lots of static while transmitting and I don’t get any replies.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
Rattler, not good at posting pics.
Mine is mounted on main tube just behind front wheel pointing backwards.
Reception and transmit is crystal clear.

Attachments

• 20211203_100327.jpg
    20211203_100327.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 35

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582, 2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
529 hours
I have been waiting on my antenna from spruce. I have been using a rubber duck ziptied to the keel and it works good, 20 miles broadcast and receive. I now have all the parts I need to install the enclosure and antenna. Will post pics when done.

Rattler 1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I have been waiting on my antenna from spruce. I have been using a rubber duck ziptied to the keel and it works good, 20 miles broadcast and receive. I now have all the parts I need to install the enclosure and antenna. Will post pics when done.
OK, not sure what a rubber duck zip tied to the keel does but I'll try it. :cool:
The sad thing is I actually don't know.

Rattler 1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
OK, I googled it and found out there is actually a rubber duck antenna. Who knew?? My bad.

Sv.grainne

Try some version of a 1/4 wave antenna and if you can add some sort of ground plane. I used copper tape inside the cockpit. Can send pictures if needed.

Rattler 1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Try some version of a 1/4 wave antenna and if you can add some sort of ground plane. I used copper tape inside the cockpit. Can send pictures if needed.
Please do if it's not too much bother. I kind of get the idea. I'm thinking of mounting it under like Ben did. Mine would be on the partial enclosure so a ground plane would be needed. The antenna that is mounted now is straight.. I will need to put a bend in it.

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
Well, I haven't yet tested my Radio, but here is where I mounted mine - very similar to what Ben did on his Sportcopter. The groundplane plate is electrically grounded to the rest of the gyro.

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18

Rattler 1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Well, I haven't yet tested my Radio, but here is where I mounted mine - very similar to what Ben did on his Sportcopter. The groundplane plate is electrically grounded to the rest of the gyro.
That’s pretty much the same as I did. I get good reception. But my issue is the feedback I get in my headphone when I key the mike. I have the Lightspeed Zulu 3 ANR headset. It goes away if I cup the mic with my hand. So I’m going to put a leather pouch over the mic with a small hole to see if it gets better.

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582, 2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
529 hours
That is what I had planned to do, but with the standard wheels the antenna is only 3" off the ground. Decided I did not want a curbfinder below the gyro. The rubber duck seems to work great, 20 miles send and receive 5x5.

Rattler 1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I have the rubber duck also and get good reception.