Sport Copter Steel Mast question

mvadney

gyroboy
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
Hello forum members.

Can someone here tell me what kind of steel and how thick the steel is that is used on the 912 version of the Vortex?

Thanks!
Mike

Hello forum members.

Can someone here tell me what kind of steel and how thick the steel is that is used on the 912 version of the Vortex?

Thanks!
Mike
Hello Mike. For our gyros Vortex M912, M2, and SCII we use TIG-welded highest-quality 4130 chrome-moly steel of more than adequate thickness.

The mast is multi-member-triangulated, affording the strongest frame/mast assembly in the industry. This means, for example, that the mast can sustain a rotor strike without catastrophic failure, an event which is typically far more structurally traumatic than a roll-over.

Thanks in part to this Stabilized Geometry, the combination of a generous wheelbase a full-beam tripod main suspension system and massive frame/mast assembly results in roll-over integrity that far surpasses other gyroplanes, or indeed, almost any low-wing aircraft.

Never has any Vortex M912 mast or rotor ever failed in-flight, or broken upon impact.

Our years of frame/mast, progressive collapse, and Cyberseat development have really paid off for the owner:

In all crashes to date of the Sport Copter Vortex M912: NO fatalities, and NO totaled machines!
According to our records: 11/12 pilots had no injuries, and only 1/12 had light injuries.
4/12 gyros were only lightly damaged, and 8/12 had moderate damages. All were repairable.

It seems that no other gyroplane in the 550-600 lbs empty weight class (which includes some 2-place Euro gyros) can assert such a safety record.

Freely contact us to learn more about the "Sport Copter Difference"!
[email protected]
503-543-7000

I can wholeheartedly attest to this statement!
Would not be alive if it weren't for the way Sportcopter builds its machines.
Flown many other rigs. Nothing I have seen comes close to them.

Nice,
Thanks for the info. What is the thickness of you chromoly mast material?

Hello Mike. For our gyros Vortex M912, M2, and SCII we use TIG-welded highest-quality 4130 chrome-moly steel of more than adequate thickness.

The mast is multi-member-triangulated, affording the strongest frame/mast assembly in the industry. This means, for example, that the mast can sustain a rotor strike without catastrophic failure, an event which is typically far more structurally traumatic than a roll-over.

Thanks in part to this Stabilized Geometry, the combination of a generous wheelbase a full-beam tripod main suspension system and massive frame/mast assembly results in roll-over integrity that far surpasses other gyroplanes, or indeed, almost any low-wing aircraft.

Never has any Vortex M912 mast or rotor ever failed in-flight, or broken upon impact.

Our years of frame/mast, progressive collapse, and Cyberseat development have really paid off for the owner:

In all crashes to date of the Sport Copter Vortex M912: NO fatalities, and NO totaled machines!
According to our records: 11/12 pilots had no injuries, and only 1/12 had light injuries.
4/12 gyros were only lightly damaged, and 8/12 had moderate damages. All were repairable.

It seems that no other gyroplane in the 550-600 lbs empty weight class (which includes some 2-place Euro gyros) can assert such a safety record.

Freely contact us to learn more about the "Sport Copter Difference"!
[email protected]
503-543-7000
Hi SportCopter.
Can you please tell me how thick the tubing is that is used for your mast?
Thank you.
I believe that I am going with .065 4130 square 2x2.