Sport Copter - New Voice

Hey woman!
Read any good books lately?
Still here, but more lurking than posting, glad to see you on here.
Say hey to the gang for me.
B.

Welcome aboard Trenna and thank you and everyone at Sport Copter for helping me with my machines.

Gilbert

Welcome Trenna, We have spoken a few times over the years. Always a pleasant voice.

Welcome aboard Trenna.After spending nearly 6 wks at the factory I must echo Feedpro's assessment but he omitted one most important point--you all are most DOG FRIENDLY and Jack and Jill were most appreciative! We lost Jack at El Mirage last year at the Freedom Fly In- believe the coyotes finally got him!

Hey woman!
Read any good books lately?
Still here, but more lurking than posting, glad to see you on here.
Say hey to the gang for me.
B.

Hey Ben!
How are things? Yes, as a matter of fact I have been. I just finished 4 books in the last 3 weeks and getting ready to start another one :-D

I will let everyone know you say hello!

Take care

Welcome aboard Trenna.After spending nearly 6 wks at the factory I must echo Feedpro's assessment but he omitted one most important point--you all are most DOG FRIENDLY and Jack and Jill were most appreciative! We lost Jack at El Mirage last year at the Freedom Fly In- believe the coyotes finally got him!

Oh Walt, I'm so sorry to hear :sad: Jack will truly be missed.

Thank you ALL again for the warm welcomes :)

Is there any gyro news from SC - any deliveries, any new mods - any news ? I haven't seen any new build SC machines appearing the the FAA register for some months - any gyro news wolud be welcomed.

Steve

Trenna, it would be great if you could start a thread on the SCII and post some photos, etc. Is the SCII ready for prime time?

PS. I tried visiting the sportcopter.com web site this evening and it was off line.

Was at factory last week. I am leaving after I write this to buy one lottery ticket, so when I win it next week I can order my new SCII. What they are building looks really well engineered and has the quality of construction, paint and interior fit as nice as anything the gyro world has ever seen. The body structure is strong enough to walk on top of it ( yes it has been done), with lots of carbon fibre goodies and parts. It has a normal FI aircraft engine in it, and it has a bigger cabin than what has been available on the market, including provisions for baggage/storage, It has been built with lots of inspection plates for making "annuals" and preflights easier. The tail feathers have had a recent modification to improve handling and rotor clearance, and the tail boom has more ground clearance to allow more aggressive flairs. The overall change gives it a nicer styling look. They really are sweating the details on every part. The multiple aircraft under construction now are pre-sold and have almost complete video/digital (expensive)instrument packages installed at the customers request. This has slowed down the final product with the many wiring additions and dash modifications. These gyros are being made now to fit in the higher range of gyro pricing, with plans to have a less expensive model in the mix. If you are in the market for a high performance, comfortable 2 seater gyro, and have a checkbook that needs depleting, it would be worth making the trip to Oregon and see for yourself. Wish they would display a model at Oshkosh, and see how the market reacts. I am being vague on a lot of the details on purpose, as not to infringe on construction information they have chosen not to share publicly ….yet.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Last edited:
Trickle down technology - benefits all customers at SC

Trickle down technology - benefits all customers at SC

Sometimes I hear complaints that the SCII is taking "too long" to reach the point of mass production. There's no question it's taking some time, but actually, it's a blessing for all of Jim's customers.

I just placed my order for a Vortex 582. This is a heavily upgraded model that has everything the top-of-the-line Vortex M912 has -- with the exception of the $20K 912ULS engine and the long stroke suspension. What a killer entry level copter!

Rather than let the entry level model be, Jim took what he learned from the SCII and Vortex M912 and put the refinements into the least expensive model he sells.

He didn't have to do it, but that's the way he is...perfectionist to the extreme.
It's no wonder things take extra time to exit the SC skunk works.

As for me, I'm delighted to be benefitting from the "trickle down technology".
I'm going to fly it like I stole it!
Steven

Scott/Steven - thanks for the SC update, you've told us a 100% more than the firm itself.

Sometimes I hear complaints that the SCII is taking "too long" to reach the point of mass production.

The same complaints were made when they came out with the Vortex. People put money down to get the first available kits and then waited a "long" time before anything materialized. There was plenty of grumbling about it. Once the birds became available and everyone saw the quality and workmanship, all the complaints stopped. Based on past observations, I don't doubt the SCII will be worth the wait.

Sometimes I hear complaints that the SCII is taking "too long" to reach the point of mass production. There's no question it's taking some time, but actually, it's a blessing for all of Jim's customers.

I just placed my order for a Vortex 582. This is a heavily upgraded model that has everything the top-of-the-line Vortex M912 has -- with the exception of the $20K 912ULS engine and the long stroke suspension. What a killer entry level copter!

Rather than let the entry level model be, Jim took what he learned from the SCII and Vortex M912 and put the refinements into the least expensive model he sells.

He didn't have to do it, but that's the way he is...perfectionist to the extreme.
It's no wonder things take extra time to exit the SC skunk works.

As for me, I'm delighted to be benefitting from the "trickle down technology".
I'm going to fly it like I stole it!
Steven

Was at factory last week. I am leaving after I write this to buy one lottery ticket, so when I win it next week I can order my new SCII. What they are building looks really well engineered and has the quality of construction, paint and interior fit as nice as anything the gyro world has ever seen. The body structure is strong enough to walk on top of it ( yes it has been done), with lots of carbon fibre goodies and parts. It has a normal FI aircraft engine in it, and it has a bigger cabin than what has been available on the market, including provisions for baggage/storage, It has been built with lots of inspection plates for making "annuals" and preflights easier. The tail feathers have had a recent modification to improve handling and rotor clearance, and the tail boom has more ground clearance to allow more aggressive flairs. The overall change gives it a nicer styling look. They really are sweating the details on every part. The multiple aircraft under construction now are pre-sold and have almost complete video/digital (expensive)instrument packages installed at the customers request. This has slowed down the final product with the many wiring additions and dash modifications. These gyros are being made now to fit in the higher range of gyro pricing, with plans to have a less expensive model in the mix. If you are in the market for a high performance, comfortable 2 seater gyro, and have a checkbook that needs depleting, it would be worth making the trip to Oregon and see for yourself. Wish they would display a model at Oshkosh, and see how the market reacts. I am being vague on a lot of the details on purpose, as not to infringe on construction information they have chosen not to share publicly ….yet.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Thank you Scott/Steven for the positive words!

We will be posting an update on the SCII with photos, later today.

Trenna, it would be great if you could start a thread on the SCII and post some photos, etc. Is the SCII ready for prime time?

PS. I tried visiting the sportcopter.com web site this evening and it was off line.

Tim, our webmaster is currently updating our website. It will be offline at times during this update.

I was wondering about how the Viking engine was working out on the Vortex - I know it was being tested, but never heard anything more about it. It looked like a very nice installation, and I had heard that it ran well. Any updates? Thanks!

There are two Viking powered Vortex gyros that I am aware of in the USA...mine & Doug Smiths in Ohio (on Sportcopters...Ernie had a few on the Dominators also). I cannot comment on his other than he has had some minor issue with an oil leak which he fixed.
I have had mine for a year now (this month) and it runs very smooth and quiet, burning about 4.5 gph. My only complaint is that my bird could use more power due to my altitude.
This motor is equivalent to the 912ULS but puts out a consistent 50# more thrust.
The issue is that it only has one small venturi into 4 tuned intake tubes for all cylinders.
The 912 has two large intakes that feed 2 cylinders each, thus moving more air through the engine....more air, more power.
At sea level, the Viking is fantastic for this ship....up here, as previously reported, it leaves one with a desire for more power on hot days.
Otherwise, it has been problem free. The honda block is virtually 'bullet proof'. It was the reduction unit that had me concerned at first as it was 'unproven' at that time.
So far, so good.

Thanks for your detailed description Mark! I appreciate hearing about the engine :)