Sport copter down

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
Setting nere watching florida news brief, they showed a sport copter down on side. No other details till new later tonight.
Was enclosed gyro, did not look to have much damage in brief moment they ahowed on tv. Hope pilot is ok.

Latest, Escambia county ,al sherrif went down while conducting a search for a missing girl. He walked away from crash.

So glad he is ok.

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Your Brewton Standard tells us

Escambia County Sheriff Grover Smith narrowly escaped injury Friday after his plane crashed near Alco Park.

Smith was flying the department’s gyroplane as part of the search for a missing Brewton teen.

Witnesses said it appeared Smith hit a pocket of air and clipped a treetop before crashing.

Smith walked away from the wreckage, which landed in the backyard of a North Forest Hill Road home.

Burt Barton was working on his tractor and saw the crash happen.

“It was just flying over one side, and we were admiring it,” Barton said. “About that time, it hit the tree, and ‘bam.’”

Emergency personnel were at the lake as part of the search mission and responded quickly up the hill.

Pocket of air - turbulance above trees?

Hit tree tops - too low?

Pilot OK - good

Aerial observation asset now out of action.

Appears to be N911GW - Vortex M912 serial 169 - new 2014

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=911GW

Cue

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
So glad to hear our friend Grover is OK!

So glad to hear our friend Grover is OK!

Dang ...a mustering sportcopter in OZ a few months ago goes down ( a low hour pilot biting off more than his ability with low-level ops - could survive!)...now a scarily similar ...Tree-clipping incident ...with an experienced pilot .. got caught by low level "wind-shear" on a windy day!

Low alt operations ... the down-wind/ down-draft dragons :noidea: ... lurk & strike ...even the experienced! :eek:

So sorry for this to happen to Grover & damage to the Dept. gyro!

The Sportcopter safety features & great rugged construction seems to have held up well ...in hands of an experienced pilot reacting quickly to the situation & making a landing in the available space! :hail:

I wonder why they didn't stay with a 2place gyro... one to fly & one for the "eyes"! ????

I HAD ambition to volunteer for S&R should the KS locals ever need sky-eyes... when some day I feel I have enough experience ... but dividing concentration between ground-search & flying safely ... just does not feel anywhere safe -or good ADM - for me! I'd need to use the 2 place & have a spotter ... while the flying where directed got 100% pilot focus!

A tough blow for gyro's in the LEO application!

Last edited:

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Those dang tricky "air pockets" ! I always steer around them and head right for the "Hot Pockets" instead !

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Sad day.

Sad day.

It is always sad to read about a gyroplane flight that didn’t work out.

I am glad Grover is ok.

We just lost two officers in Tulare flying a Flight Design CTLS. They hit a mountain looking for someone brandishing a gun.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
On several occasions I have been asked to look for people and a few stolen cars,etc by

the county sheriffs office,I have found it advantagous to a have at least two hundred

feet of altitude,safer and easier to see more at the same time.

good to hear the the officer is ok.

Best regards,

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
3800 with over 1900 in gyro
I had a nice talk with sheriff Grover today. He is such a great guy! He explained that it was quite windy and had vortex swirling wind over a treeline. He got caugt in it and it brought him down quickly. He claimed pilot error and said he came down and landed it on a hill just steep enough to have it tip over. It crunched the tail. He said the picture looks much worse then it really was. I told him we were glad he was ok!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Apologies to Sportcopter ....

Apologies to Sportcopter ....

Somehow my post#3 above irritated the good folks @ Sportcopter ...who BTW I respect & admire their product immensely ... having enjoyed the close-up look at some beaut machines ... being judged @ various fly-ins!

I re-read my words ... but still fail to see how they could be construed to be critical of the Sportcopter gyro itself :eek:hwell: ... which IS a unique system with special premium rotor design... developed for low-level hard-flying - extreme banking operations ... highly acclaimed by the Aussie mustering pilots!

I thought my observation of the known facts of the accident ... commented on the role of low-level wind-dragons ... SHOULD HAVE lead to weather-related /HV curve conclusions - other than any fault with the machine! :noidea:

I followed on with a musing WHY ... a Law enforcement S&R operation would use an aerial asset ... with one person flying AND spotting!

My own limited experience with trying to search(look for missing cattle) .... while flying & scanning the sky for other aircraft ...all at a nice safe - but limited altitude of >500ft AGL ..showed me that the workload on a pilot of my experience was simply too overwhelming to do either job optimally .... should we do S&R volunteer flights in the future ... it makes sense to go in a 2place ...with a dedicated spotter & a pilot!

All the two places "Eurogyros" & clones ... have less agility & extreme yank-bank angle ability than the single place ... i understand that this was a factor in the Sheriff's Dept replacing the old Twinstarr with a sportcopter! :usa2:

As Sportcopter has established a unique single gyro for a niche market segment which means their gyros WILL be flown aggressively & at low altitude ...in the HV curve ... there have been several past & will be future incidents where pilots get caught out by the windy-dragons & other miscalculations ... fortunately the great construction - extensive design & testing of special safety features of the gyro has proven to give the experienced pilots excellent chances of walking away from the emergency landing site!

I better make a personal rule to keep future comments super brief & pithy... or a full essay of my thought process - so no-one can get the wrong perception of my intent! :rolleyes:

...or maybe i shoulda :tape: ..put a sock innit 2000 posts ago!!! :lol:

:eek: Anyway my apologies Sportcopter ... TRULY- no criticism intended ...sorry it came over that way so you needed to PM me!

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Brief details of the recent Australian Sport Copter Vortex accident -

Nov 7th 2015 - Tyrone Station, between Charleville - Adavale, Queensland, Australia - SportCopter Vortex - unknown registration - Fatal - News report refers to a fatal gyrocopter accident whilst mustering cattle. The gyrocopter is believed to have hit a tree top before crashing killing the 35 year old pilot. Local media name the pilot as Grant Burrell.

The Australian Transport Safety Board ATSB publishes this micro summary - Reference - 201504894 - Summary - "During mustering operations, the gyrocopter struck a tree and subsequently collided with terrain. The pilot was fatally injured."

Then there was also a Vortex down in September 2015 in USA,

24-9-15 - Lakes Wales airport, Florida, USA - Sport Copter Vortex - N179V - News reports suggest the Sportcopter gyro crashed shortly after take off from Lake Wales airport. The pilot said that the engine failed at a height of approx 100 feet. The gyrocopter made an emergencey landing in a nearby lot sustaining substantial damage. The pilot received minor injuries.

the NTSB Preliminary report states "On September 24, 2015, about 1050 eastern daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Vanek Sport Copter Vortex gyrocopter, N179V, was substantially damaged following a collision with terrain during a forced landing near Lake Wales, Florida. The sport pilot sustained minor injuries. The gyrocopter was registered to and operated by a private individual under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions were reported in the vicinity about the time of the accident, and no flight plan was filed. The local flight originated from the Lake Wales Municipal Airport (X07), Lake Wales, Florida, at 1045.

According to the pilot, he conducted a run-up prior to takeoff and all systems were normal. During the initial climb, he made a left crosswind turn and climbed to approximately 300 feet. He noticed that the engine began to lose power and made a left downwind turn in an attempt to return to the airport. The engine continued to lose power and the pilot chose to attempt a forced landing in a field. During the landing sequence, the gyrocopter rolled over and sustained damage to the airframe.

The gyrocopter was recovered from the field and retained for further examination."

as ever more here

http://gyroaccidents.blogspot.co.uk/

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
3800 with over 1900 in gyro
Chris maybe it was your Auzie accent? You might have offended them when they tried to figure out where you live? Do accents transpose to written form?
On second thought just smile they can live with it!

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Chris, If SportsCopter didn't like something you said, they should have said it here, not in a PM. Please keep up your excellent posts and now stop sucking up to SportCopter. We all know they build a hi quality machine, they shouldn't get defensive, it just makes them look bad. I'm thankful that sheriff Grover was uninjured, this alone made it a good day. see you and jimmy @ BDs.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Perhaps the Sheriff is okay BECAUSE he was in a Sportcopter?
I can vouch that the safety features work exactly as advertised.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
My thoughts EXACTLY ....

My thoughts EXACTLY ....

YOU Benry ...were one of the ones I was thinking of when I was writing!:usa2: :yo:

:)

Perhaps the Sheriff is okay BECAUSE he was in a Sportcopter?
I can vouch that the safety features work exactly as advertised.