SparrowHawks to be made in China

Heron

Platinum Member
I sent an e-mail to the American Consulate in São Paulo, to get information on some procedure I will need.
The answer is: pay us 38 real and we will answer . . .better schedule the interview and go ready for a visa renewal, even if I don´t need one.
Money! that is the name of the game.
Most of my family is now driving japanese vehicles, all the stuff we used to have are now "americanese" goods, what can we do? Even sneakers and at one time they used to be made here, untill someone sabotaged the glue and Nike cut the contract off, going to . . . ????
America The Northern is becoming not viable to fast, way to fast for me> . . .
I will keep the music and the movies.
Heron

willisbr

Just wait. Soon you will be able to buy aluminum tubing and flats for 5.99 and all sorts of cabins for 59.99 at Walmart. Rolling back prices at your local Walmart!

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
I went to Lowes and bought a piece of birch plywood, when I got home I noticed it had a made in china sticker on it. So we can cut American timber, ship it to China have it made into plywood, and ship it back cheaper than we can do it here??????

Remember when Wal Mart sold American goods?

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
It is very difficult to find truly American made products. Even our American automobiles have many of the parts made elsewhere but they are "assembled" in the US.

Fly Army

Great deal for the Groen Bros. Bad deal for U.S. workers especially the hardworking people in Utah. What a slap in the face. I will be asking for my deposit back now, and order my Mandarin language tapes so that I will be able to understand our new masters.

jw wright

"groan aviation"

"groan aviation"

Someone on the forum once said that they admired Groens nack to aquire new investors. I must agree, considering their past profile. If you were ever convinced to buy their shares, watch closely, time it correctly, and sell your shares. This might be your best chance to recover some of your money.
I can only conclude that the Chinese are buying DARPA technology for pennies on the dollar.

JW Wright

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Why couldn't you just go with a L.L.C. ? If you set it up right, they could sue, but if you made sure your company had no value, they would be out of luck.
People want their companies to have value.

LLCs protect the owners not the company.

Why do you think Rotax north American Hq is based in the Bahamas?
Yep the US Lawyers cant get to them.
We need looser pays in frivolous lawsuits.
We need to dump the restrictive corporate tax burdens.
BINGO.

PW_Plack

...The concept of "mandatory technology transfer" is particularly disturbing.
Doug, could you explain? What's mandatory about this?

I find some irony here. I'm not sure much of the technology in a SparrowHawk, or even some of the other tech to be transfered, was really new ground after 1931. Perhaps that's reflected in the valuation of only $3.67 million. Intellectual property useful in aviation, or that saves certification steps, is worth much more.

What's ironic to me is that they're paying anything at all. Up till now, they'd just have copied it and made knock-offs.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Paul, check the last sentence in the second paragraph of the announcement.

While I'm no expert in the fine art of outsourcing, I understand that Red China requires transfer of the underlying technology when a foreign business wishes to manufacture there. IOW, the outsourcer can't simply set up a "paint by number" operation, but must teach the how-and-why as well.

This, of course, shortens the development cycle of homegrown products over there, reducing the need even for reverse engineering (never mind original R&D).

True, the S-Hawk is not exactly cutting-edge technology. Even non-edgy products take time, experience and money to develop, though.

I'm personally unhappy with a discount price achieved using this kind of "shortcut." It's a clever end run around one of the obstacles in a totalitarian police state -- the suppression of creativity and de-centralized innovation. Shame on us for playing along.

No matter, though -- we decided a long time ago in this country, both at the governmental level and at the consumer level, that we'd rather enjoy the cheap loans and discount goods than stick to our (claimed) principles.

PW_Plack

Everyone wants to blame "the corporations" or "the government" for the erosion of American manufacturing. Let's be honest. We all want to be paid more than anyone else in the world for any given job, but buy things at low prices. The only way both can happen is to have people willing to work for less build all our stuff.

For a while, we got away with it. There was a time when our technology allowed us to produce more per worker, but we haven't kept that edge. Everyone has technology now.

Toyota is running a very interesting commercial for the Tundra pickup, pointing out that the "Japanese" truck has more US content than the "American" Ford F-150. They're both built in North America.

The world is getting blurry, even for those who'd like to support domestic labor.

PW_Plack

Paul, check the last sentence in the second paragraph of the announcement...
Doug, understood, but GBA won't be manufacturing there, only sharing in the spoils of the new Chinese company. They simply sold the technology for shares.

There's also been nothing said about a lower price for the kit through this arrangement. Given that there is currently no other enclosed, two-seat, side-by-side gyro being delivered in the US right now, (except for very expensive African RAFs,) I'll be surprised if this kit sells for less than mid-40s, where GBA had it priced in 2008.

I don't know about other regions, but out west here, used SparrowHawks and RAFs have suddenly been selling briskly in the last year, and there are few left for sale.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
The "blurring" is probably a good thing in general -- you aren't tempted to blow up the guys you're trading with.

What galls me is that we give some rather vicious police states a "get out of jail free" card, despite the way they treat both their own people and us. It smells a bit like appeasement.

Anyway, we'd better get back to gyro discussions before any more egregious violations of the "no politics on the Forum" rule.:focus:

bpearson

What galls me is that we give some rather vicious police states a "get out of jail free" card, despite the way they treat both their own people and us. It smells a bit like appeasement.
Rampant consumerism is far more important to the populace than mere human rights. A blind eye is turned when we can all purchase our tat at such low prices.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Given that there is currently no other enclosed, two-seat, side-by-side gyro being delivered in the US right now, (except for very expensive African RAFs,) I'll be surprised if this kit sells for less than mid-40s, where GBA had it priced in 2008.
Sport Copter ??

Cowboy

Well...hope the new ChinaHawk doesn't have lead paint and whatever chemical that was in the plaster board that ate up all the copper (read wiring) in those Florida hurricane restored homes...

GyroDoug

Sport Copter ??

Tim,

Sport Copter has developed a couple of beautiful prototypes and is always just around the corner from being able to get started selling them but after years of waiting and it never quite gets there, I wouldn't be holding my breath. Who knows? someday soon, we may be surprised, and they may really be available. Let us hope it works out because from everything I have seen and heard it really would be a great addition to the line up.

Gyro Doug

PW_Plack

Sport Copter ?
Tim, that's why I used the word "delivered." Perhaps Master Roda could elaborate, but I believe only two SCIIs have been built so far, one the red prototype with the Subaru, the other a customer's machine with the Lycon engine, which doesn't have the bugs worked out.

There might be more in process, but the point is, you can't just go out and get one yet.

Last edited:

PW_Plack

What galls me is that we give some rather vicious police states a "get out of jail free" card, despite the way they treat both their own people and us. It smells a bit like appeasement...
Doug, I differ with you on politics in general, but can't argue here. There just aren't any good options to bring about rapid change in someone else's society.

Not enough people in the US care more about human rights in China than they do about their own household bottom line. We'll just have to hope rising expectations for life quality in China, fed by trade with the west, bring the right kinds of pressure.

The massive amount of US-Dollar-denominated debt we've sold China is a little like the nuclear balance of power. They can't afford to let us fail, and we can't afford to pay them back. Hopefully that will keep anyone from doing anything stupid.

No Utah workers

No Utah workers

Great deal for the Groen Bros. Bad deal for U.S. workers especially the hardworking people in Utah. What a slap in the face. I will be asking for my deposit back now, and order my Mandarin language tapes so that I will be able to understand our new masters.
Just FYI Groen Bros. Layed off it's entire work force nearly 4 years ago. As much as I hate to see jobs go overseas, this project did not (currently) cost any US jobs.

Just my 2 cents.
Stay safe.

okikuma

China is pushing really hard to remove the US Dollar as the World Reserve Currency and replace it with either the Chinese Yuan or gold. When that happens, the U.S. Dollar will become worthless (because of all the printing without any gold or silver to back it up) and mega-inflation will happen causing the USA to become a Third World Nation overnight. Americans won't be able to purchase any of the inexpensive Chinese goods we so depend on now because the cost will be way too high.

Remember the Amish that were making the ice cream at Mentone 2010? The diesel engine that powered their ice cream maker had a ChiCom data plate.

Wayne