Some questions about my future Helicycle purchase.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ron- Do you have any idea how many hours it takes to build an RV any number? Its not even relevant to this discussion, but most RV builds are 2000 hours. So per hour invested in build labor, a Helicycle pays much better. Its very hard to make money on a new gyro kit. I lucked out on my SparrowHawk and sold it for enough to buy my Helicycle kit, pay for my helicopter rating, and put some money in the bank.

If I would have waited 3 more weeks to sell my SparrowHawk, GBA closed the SparrowHawk business, and my price would have been $20,000 less just to sell it. I would have still had my SparrowHawk, as I don't sell if I am losing my butt!

NATE- You can fly the Helicycle anywhere, a transponder is needed in class c and b airspace. A DAR will get your paperwork in order
Tom Milton has done four for me, and is da man!

Annual inspections can be done by the builder or an A&E.

Stan

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Labor Never Counts.

Labor Never Counts.

Not a rotorcraft, but a Vans RV-6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 would go up 20 grand or more easily

I get where you are coming from Ron. Every person I ever knew, who sold a restored or homebuilt aircraft never includes any of their labor in the figures.

I probably had 1000 hours in fixing my Brantly up and since I had $25,000 (purchase price) and $12,000 (parts) in it, and sold it for $55k, I FEEL like I made money upon selling it.

I feel like I MADE $18k on the sale. My friend built an absolutely PERFECT RV-8 in 15 months. Probably had 1500 hrs in it. He flew it for 3 or 4 years and sold it for $85k. He felt he made money too.

Everyone just throws their labor out the window.

Last edited:

Turbineheli

Aircraft
Mooney M20J
Total Flight Time
Labor?

Labor?

Pay yourself .02 per hr and you can afford to build most anything!
The Helicycle is quite possibly the best bang for the buck out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0

SeanPatrick

I have not heard anything from Eagle about build 7 timeframe. They must be behind. I would like to start it this summer. I might look further into the kit in my first post that is still in crates. Im not really doing this for an investment just want a project to get me away from my work a few hours a day. SPM

tamflyer

Aircraft
Own OH-23 and HeliCycle.
Rest of Story ??

Rest of Story ??

NATE- You can fly the Helicycle anywhere, a transponder is needed in class c and b airspace.......
Annual inspections can be done by the builder or an A&E.
Stan

Stan, I appreciate all the great info that you so graciously share with all of us here, and I LOVE hearing of all the fun you have flying that magnificent HeliCycle of yours.
And I have installed your neat skid mod on mine.

Help me understand the common misunderstanding about who can sign off 'return to service' items ( specifically Inspections) in Aircraft logbooks.

It is my understanding that only a person holding IA authority can sign off an Annual or Condition Inspection.
The builder (Repairman Certificate holder) can only sign off the Condition Inspection for the Aircraft that he built when the initial Airworthiness Certificate was issued for that aircraft.

And just as an add on, It is also my understanding that any experimental aircraft... *that has completed Phase 1 and 2* ...can fly "anywhere" ????

Best to ya, Stan

Pat Goerig

Last edited:

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Pat,

I'll answer. ANY A&P (Even without an I.A.) can sign off a "Condition Inspection," on an experimental. More commonly called "The Annual." You were right that the original builder can (If He gets his Repairman Certificate for that one aircraft).

Read http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/8130.2F Chg 5.pdf Starting on Page 164

As to where you can go in an experimental...they are, of course, subject to ALL the rules that apply to any other General Aviation aircraft. The two ADDITIONAL rules that apply only to experimentals are... Cannot be flown over densely populated areas or in congested airways. The "Phase I" and "Phase II" referred to in the Airworthiness Program Letter only pertains to being limited to STAYING IN THE DEFINED PRACTICE AREA until there's a reasonable belief that the engine will keep you in the air and the aircraft is controllable. That's what Phase I is for.

Read http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/8130.2F Chg 5.pdf Starting on Page 164.

As you probably know, "ALL the rules that apply to any other General Aviation aircraft" is complex and there are a lot of restrictions on what equipment you have, pilot qualifications, type airspace, etc. that play into the mix. Here's an example: Here where I live, I must have a Transponder WITH ALTITUDE ENCODING capability to fly anywhere South of my house because, even though it's Class G Airspace, it lies BENEATH the Atlanta Class B.

Last edited:

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
The Program Letter that the DAR issues along with your Pink Airworthiness Certificate is where all those details will spelled out. It becomes a part of the aircraft Airworthiness Certificate and MUST be IN THE AIRCRAFT at all times.

Last edited:

tamflyer

Aircraft
Own OH-23 and HeliCycle.
Thanks Bryan

Thanks Bryan

To save others the long scroll to p 164 if they do not have own copy of document, here is the pertinent part that you graciously provided for me:

(5) Except for takeoffs and landings, this aircraft may not be operated over densely populated
areas or in congested airways.
NOTE: This limitation is applicable for phases I and II and should be issued
in accordance with paragraphs 135b(1) and (2) of this order.

(6) This aircraft is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely populated
areas unless directed by air traffic control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe
emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the
ground.
NOTE: This limitation is applicable to the aircraft after it has satisfactorily
completed all requirements for phase I flight testing, has the appropriate
endorsement in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records, and is operating
in phase II.

Apologies if I am beating the proverbial dead horse .............:)
Pat

Attachments

• horse2.gif
    horse2.gif
    4 KB · Views: 0

John Bell

Aircraft
Velocity, Jet Exec
Total Flight Time
Hi All,
I too really want to buy a Helicycle in Production Run 7 but I havent been able to get ahold of the factory. Ive been calling and calling and calling and no answer and no return of messages. I have heard they are primarily interested in helping customers with machines that are flying, so, ok. Maybe some of you kind folks can help me understand the purchase process. Do they take a deposit and then a payment before each shipment is made? Or do I need to pay for the whole kit before any shipments are made? I know they are busy there but if you folks who have been there/done that could help me understand Eagle's practices, I'd sure appreciate it! I did receive the info packet they sent in early December, but its been impossible to ask them personally since then. It sure seems like a wonderful ship...if I could just get them to take my money! LOL :)
Thanks in advance...

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
There are two kits on Barnstormers right now, a group 5 and a group 6.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
John- Send me your phone number by PM and I will get it to Blake. He is easy to get ahold of and calls me back if he is busy.

You typically pay about half upfront. There are 4 shipments. Just prior to the next shipment, they request you send the amount that's due.