Soma info needed

wylie

Does anyone have a build manual or parts list for a Soma. I am also trying to find detailed pictures of all areas of a Soma to help in assembly. I will need to replace the long landing gear strut that has the rubber disks. Where can I find a shock that attaches to tubing. I have seen these on other Gyrocopter s but cannot find them online. Thank you

William

Good Day William, I also have a soma. Bought it as a rolling frame. I was lucky enough to find someone who had a Sportcopter manual. They are just about the same. I think I have a pretty good handle on this thing. If you need any help or ideas, feel free to ask. Those shocks are expensive (from SportCopter) If you are a crafty builder, you can use motorcycle shocks. What else do you need?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20190828_094426.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190828_094426.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Soma1.jpg
    Soma1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 47
  • thumbnail_IMG_20190903_175311.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190903_175311.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
The shocks on my Dominator are VW dune buggy shocks. They dont cost an arm and a leg.

That sounds like something to look into. Where did you buy them

Go online for VW dune buggy parts vendors. I have a good friend that has run a german imports shop for over 40 yrs, Dune buggy shocks take a lot of abuse. I have had no problems with them.

I appreciate the help. I joined PRA and EAA a few weeks ago I hope to soon get together with some local meetings but it would be nice to have my project more together. I have allot of questions but I am Only going to ask a couple so I don’t run anyone off.
I have no nuts bolts or washers for this kit so I need to figure out what to order. Maybe I should just put it together with all thread then I will know what to order.
I like the idea of using a VW dune buggy shock. Does the shock fit inside the tubing of the strut. On a Soma what is the total length of the long landing gear tube that has the rubber donuts.
Is it possible to get a copy of the sport copter manual. Or more pictures of a soma details of how it fits together.

Thank You,
William

Good Morning Guys,
Wylie, I can make you copies of part placement, length and thickness. Same with the AN bolts. I was told, Somas and snobirds were very simular. Shocks do fit inside the strut. I configured my struts to be 1/8th thick instead of 1/16 for off field landings. Ok, the soma struts are 44 1/4" the sport copter struts I have are 44 3/4" but the manual says 44 1/2". I would figure out which shocks you want to use and cut the struts accordingly I have some pretty good pictures I can send you. Better to go through my E-Mail [email protected]

Gyrodude, thank you for the info. I will research these and probably give them a try

Aircraft Spruce has a good an AN bolt selection process and even a tool to determine the correct length. An AN bolt has less thread so the length (grip length) is very important. You can put it together with hardware store bolts and replace them with proper aircraft hardware. Do not even start her with the wrong bolts.
www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/bolts.html

The shocks that we used on the dominators were Chirco shocks, and the custom springs were from southwest speed.
Use 1/8" wall gear struts and put the shock tube inside the strut.
Most of the bolts that you will need on 2" sq tube with an 1/8" plate on each side will be AN4-26A..

I saw an RAF gyro for sale on Barnstormers by Scott Malone. Perhaps you could get the phone number off the ad and see if Scott still has a builders manual and parts.

I saw an RAF gyro for sale on Barnstormers by Scott Malone. Perhaps you could get the phone number off the ad and see if Scott still has a builders manual and parts.

The following is MY OPINION: 😲

The amount of people who have been ripped off financially by him is numerous, whether you consider it was by selling blocks of flying lessons, offers to make parts, or completing the kits already paid for. Cash in advance, then try to get him to answer a phone call, email, text, etc.

That is not even considering the guy ripped off from painting his L-39 jet & RAF gyro-leasing payments not made. That jet has been sitting outside in the weather @ the Grants Pass, OR airport for many, many years. The L-39 jet tail # shows it is registered to the Troutdale, OR airport address he uses.

I have heard from numerous individuals of their experiences. I did not seek out their relating their tales of woe, but they mentioned it to me while talking gyros. Most live in California/Arizona (although some are in Washington & Oregon), where/when he was conducting flight lessons in an leased RAF gyro, a leased Rotorway helicopter, & the L-39 jet.

That same address is where one of the RAF owners had to get a court order to have deputies cut the lock off the hangar there in order for him to retrieve his machine locked up inside.

The fraud extends into the trucking world where he has had several businesses under various names for repair and transport-related issues for non-payment for services rendered. Check out the website "Rip Off Report" for further details, searching under his name.
The state of Oregon issued Cease & Desist orders for one of these trucking businesses that was ignored. His business just re-opened in another name to continue the same activity.

EXTREME CAUTION w/ ANY dealings w/ this individual is highly advised!

I cannot in good conscience remain quiet while having knowledge of so many who have lost $$ they entrusted to this man to return to them a product or service he offered.

I have not even mentioned the rumor re: prison time for embezzlement that only relating this to one of his local friends of my hearing this @ one of the El Mirage events. This so-called friend of mine cut off our friendship as a result. I guess that friendship was just as phony as the person mentioned!

Another individual in the flying world related to me the results of a criminal background check done, & the results that came back were not trivial.

The preceding is my own opinion.

Last edited:
I looked for some SOMA info back when I had mine, all I could find was a trail of ripoffs and money scams....