SOLD: Local Craigslist ad: Air Command gyro-$7,000! SOLD

Kevin_Richey

Staff member
HAS BEEN SOLD!
I know the fellow selling this Air Command gyroplane & have seen it fly out on the Alvord desert dry lake bed in far SE Oregon.
Not a bad price for a little-used machine. Has the horizontal stabilizer on the tail when converted to CLT. McCutchen Skywheels in mint condition.
Configured like Shawn Adam's gyro, having CLT & a bicycle wheel on the front.
Older Rotax 532 for powerplant. Has a trailer, but don't know if Van (360.608.6071) is including it for that price. He constructed a rotorblade hoist on the trailer that lays flat on the bed when not in use.

He also has a twin-tail gyro project started by Hank Abbott (the original main guy behind manufacturing the SnoBird kit gyroplane) that he'd like to sell.

Attachments

• Resized Brad flyng Van's gyro.jpg
    Resized Brad flyng Van's gyro.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I'm planning on attending the El Mirage gyroplane fly-in put on by PRA Chapter One next month if anyone is very interested in this Air Command. I could tow it down there if a buyer made arrangements w/ Van ahead of time. If so, I'd appreciate some gas $$ for doing so.

Great news!!! I'll see you at the party Bro.
I start training on Monday of next week for the entire week.
Hope to be licensed next time we meet.

For those who haven't seen this video by Shawn Adams, who by profession films & produces high quality videos, you're in for a treat! Viewed over TEN MILLION times, he also flys his Air Command gyroplane featured, which is in the same configuration as the one up for sale in this thread by Van.

Filmed in the hills above Ashland, Oregon, Shawn had a team help him w/ the filming of the fantastic shots, including a videographer seated backwards as a passenger on the filming motorcycle. They also had blocked off auto traffic @ both ends of this filming. Shawn related to me that the FAA did indeed contact him after it was published & that they let the matter drop after he explained the previous & the fact that it was a true ultralight vehicle involved in a truly-professional film production.

The only difference is the engine on Shawn's gyro in that video was only 52 hp (Rotax 503), whereas Van's engine is the Rotax 532 (65 hp), having a radiator mounted for engine cooling. And, Shawn flew on Sport Rotors instead of the McCutchen Skywheels that came w/ the A/C gyroplane kits.

Shawn told me that he switched from the heavier fiberglass construction SWs to the lighter aluminum construction SRs to bring his gyroplane's weight down to meet Part 103 regulations. Plus, he removed the stock Wunderlich prerotator to further reduce the machine's weight & prerotated his rotorblades while seated.

So, if anyone's rapt attention is captured by Shawn's flying ability in this world-reknowned video, know that this almost identical gyroplane for sale here is capable of doing the same maneuvers, when flown by a competent pilot. In fact, virtually all of the single-seat gyroplanes can maneuver like this. Some enclosed cockpit two-seater one's can do likewise. Mark Shook did so in his Xenon. There is a youtube video of someone else doing some fantastic flying in their Xenon/Tercel (?), ending w/ an engine out landing. Very impressive agility for a heavier, two-place gyroplane.

Shawn replied that he sold his gyroplane quickly when he advertised it for sale later. It's price was approximately $14K!

I flew in my Sport Copter along w/ Shawn once, when we met up w/ the Yreka gyro guys in northern California. My mind's eye is still amazed @ the scenery as we did so, flying along cattle country dotted w/ small volcanic buttes that we flew over that were only a few hundred feet high.

Shawn's flying ability amazed me w/ him doing tight turns, even as low as 15' off the ground! He also could lift off on his takeoff run much sooner than I could, due to his lighter weight. While were were out on our flying adventure, he & I suddenly came upon a small herd of antelope below us as we skimmed along @ about 50' AGL.

Their backs & sides blended into the ground vegetation's colors such that I only became aware of them as they exploded into motion when they bolted! I was flabbergasted @ how closely they were to each other as they ran away from us. One of the times I wished I had a video running while flying...

Last edited:
This is a great price. Love seeing Shawn fly again.
And I love your marketing with a video each frame a thousand words.

If you built this new from scratch, what do you guys project as the cost. $13 to $15K?
Buying a used running aircraft FW or gyro will almost always cost you less.
Exceptions are very special like "Little Nellie" or and Antique that appreciate in value.

Great news!!! I'll see you at the party Bro.
I start training on Monday of next week for the entire week.
Hope to be licensed next time we meet.
John, you have to post all about your training flight!!!!!!!!!!!

The good the bad and the ugly J.
If I make mistakes want to make sure student gyro pilots learn not to do stupid John tricks.
If I do it well not much to tell.
I find I'm as excited as when we spent the week with Micheal.
Wish you and your cousin Arlen were training again with me too.

The good the bad and the ugly J.
If I make mistakes want to make sure student gyro pilots learn not to do stupid John tricks.
If I do it well not much to tell.
I find I'm as excited as when we spent the week with Micheal.
Wish you and your cousin Arlen were training again with me too.
Yeah, we had fun, I really liked Micheal and Spanish Fork!!!!!!!!!!

As in all my posts attempting to help a friend sell their rotorcraft-related items, I do not receive any compensation in any form whenever they do sell it!

As in all my posts attempting to help a friend sell their rotorcraft-related items, I do not receive any compensation in any form whenever they do sell it!
Thank you Kevin for all you do for our community!!! U-ROCK!