SOLD......1971 McColloch J2 #58 out of 83 made

Topjimmy

Sadly my Neighbors husband passed before he could get it air worthy again. It last flew in 2002 per the log books. Massive literature and I could probably answer any question you have about it. We live in Ocean Shores, WA. From what I have researched, they sell for about 17k in this condition which is very nice. We were told it would take about $10-15K to get it airworthy again. The main rotors need work for one thing. There is a letter attached stating what it needs this is one rare gyro and worth getting air worthy I noticed there are folks on this Forum that have owned one and know alot about them

Attachments

• DSCN1586 (2).JPG
    DSCN1586 (2).JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1586 (3).JPG
    DSCN1586 (3).JPG
    272 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN1586.JPG
    DSCN1586.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1586 (4).JPG
    DSCN1586 (4).JPG
    382 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210421_155240.jpg
    20210421_155240.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210421_162744.jpg
    20210421_162744.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

HeliSwede

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
R44/22, Bell206L1, Hughes 300C, AirCommand, McCulloch J-2, AG Calidus
Total Flight Time
I owned a J-2 (same one twice) N4364G I sold in 2004 to a guy in KC that I believe is now in a CA museum
It only had 239hrsTTSN was in very good condition and flew great. Tom Milton and Si Smith were invaluable resources for maintenance and transition flight training. It was very loud (short exhaust), short range, plus the oleo struts and peroration belts needed constant TLC, but very stable, lots of baggage room under the full width bench seat and fun to take to fly-ins.

Topjimmy

THANX for the Info yeah I am not looking myself to get it in the air again I like to keep 2 or four wheels on the ground but my neighbor sure Dug this Gyro too bad he passed he was a nice man now his wife is left with it and many other classic cars bikes etc.. that I am helping her sell poor guy never got much of a chance to enjoy them after he retired

HeliSwede

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Respectfully, it believe it would take a LOT of $ to get airworthy. 3 new blades, radios, ADSB, airframe repairs for sure. Likely rudder cables, prop, brakes, tires, belts, and assuming engine not properly pickled for storage, after 9yrs not having flown, who knows what condition the engine is in. Send me a PM with your phone and/or email and we can discuss a but more. Thx.

Topjimmy

Respectfully, it believe it would take a LOT of $ to get airworthy. 3 new blades, radios, ADSB, airframe repairs for sure. Likely rudder cables, prop, brakes, tires, belts, and assuming engine not properly pickled for storage, after 9yrs not having flown, who knows what condition the engine is in. Send me a PM with your phone and/or email and we can discuss a but more. Thx.
Yep appreciate any advice on selling this there is a boat load of receipts on what has been done to it we just talked to the former owner and he said the blades do not have to have the serial # to match on all blades and said everything to get it going would be in the 10-15k range but you would know having owned one most of the paperwork and receipts make no sense to me as I am not an airplane guy

Topjimmy

I JUST looked at some receipts for 20+ Hrs of things done to it in 2001 belts Mags thrust bearings for rotor etc.. etc..engine compression all cylinders was 77/80 new oil impeller new gears and driveshaft and more like I said Alot of receipts and all Log books

Topjimmy

I JUST looked at some receipts for 20+ Hrs of things done to it in 2001 belts Mags thrust bearings for rotor etc.. etc..engine compression all cylinders was 77/80 new oil impeller new gears and driveshaft and more like I said Alot of receipts and all Log books
ALSO it was deemed airworthy in 2001 per the logbook and had new struts brakes and more done in 2004 but now the main problem it looks like was cracks in the rotors

Topjimmy

Well I guess I am the wrong place to sell this it has got zero interest does anybody know of a better place to sell a unique aircraft like this I think the engine alone is worth 13-15k help would greatly be appriciated

j4flyer

Barnstormers is a great site as Vance posted. You also have Facebook. Facebook has Gyroplane groups worldwide. The aircraft sales King is still Trade A Plane. More serious buyers look there than anywhere else.
Beechtalk has a free aircraft for sale thread. Their clientele have the financial ability to make fun purchases. Their thread is free.
Most private sales occur through word of mouth. Posting flyers at airports and passing out flyers at local fly ins have generated a lot of sales in my area. It would probably work in your area too. Don’t overlook Craigslist. I have sold a lot of aircraft related items on that venue. A lot of aircraft have been sold on Craigslist too.

HeliSwede

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
My J-2 was sold through Trade-A-Plane to a buyer in New Zealand.
Do you know of any one with parts, specifically new blades? Thx

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
No, although most have very few hours and the blades have lots of time left.

Topjimmy

The wife was told by the previous owner recently that he knew of a guy in Oregon that fixed them or new ones I will ask her if she remembers who that was

GyroCFI

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
Not a lot of mechanics willing to sign off on work done to a J-2 or Super J-2 these days, if you can even find the service manuals anymore...

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Not a lot of mechanics willing to sign off on work done to a J-2 or Super J-2 these days, if you can even find the service manuals anymore...
Somewhere I think I may still have a scanned copy of the service manual (all 600-odd pages). I seem to recall posting it on a website long enough for a download for somebody on this forum. I used to get my annuals from a helicopter shop that worked on schweizer / hughes ships and knew the rotor system well.