Solar T-62 turbine

Rotor Kop

Akoschier -

I`ll let you know when I`ll have ECUs available... :)

By the way, I don`t consider it a good idea to try to modify the T-62T-32 to improve efficiency. Your proposal of course would be an appropriate way, but it means replacing at least the compressor wheel, diffuser and NGV. This will definitely change the dynamic characteristics of the rotor, and, especially in cantilevered designs like the Solar, this may very quickly lead to disaster when the shaft-critical RPM comes too close to or even within the range of the actual working RPM range. Even if it may require more effort for the lubrication system, I favor for a high-performance engine a layout with at least one bearing between compressor and turbine. That`s how we`ve designed our engine. It`s really amazing to see how small all the stuff is... When adapting this more modern aerodynamics to an engine the size of the Solar, it would easily produce 300hp...

As an answer to a posting on the first or second page of this thread, have a look at the following photos. They originate from an engine that we bought in a batch of three (...for the price of one :rolleyes: ...). They show the result of a seized roller bearing, probably as a result of insufficient lubrication, at rated RPM. As you see, the turbine wheel stub, the torque transfer bolts and the tie bolt as well all are sheared. The turbine wheel was free to run havoc inside the NGV. Nevertheless, no shrapnels or high-energy projectiles were leaving the engine, actually, externally it still appeared to be in excellent condition (except it wouldn`t turn over any more...). I cannot guarantee but I`m quite optimistic that at rated speed plus maybe ten pecent, even a catastrophic failure of the turbine wheel will be contained by the turbine shroud and surrounding material. I have heard of a single case (yet I`m not sure that it`s true since this is not first hand information) of a T-62T-32 turbine actually disintegrating catastrophically with shrapnels and all this nasty stuff flying around, and this was when the "operator" tried to control speed manually by moving the power lever with his hand and the engine running off-load. It probably overspeeded by 50 or 60% when the turbine wheel let go... But if a reliable governor is controlling the engine (and a back-up fuel valve is installed, which is also controlled by the supervisory circuitry), then I think its virtually impossible to encounter a really dangerous situation with a T-62T-32.

All the best,
Thomas

My Solar T62-32 literally exploded and that no one was killed is a miracle! 2 people where injured but fortunately not badly. If anyone was standing behind the helicycle they would have been dead without a doubt. I am now very concerned what these things can do if they overspeed....

Sandstream

Rotor Kop,

This was an interesting thread, thanks for bringing it up! Though the cause was not funny at all... sorry about your turbine.

Anyone know why Stans messages has been deleted? Makes it hard to read the thread and I know Stan has interesting things to write so I'm sure a lot of good information is gone too.

Last edited:

Captain Bill

My Solar T62-32 literally exploded and that no one was killed is a miracle! 2 people where injured but fortunately not badly. If anyone was standing behind the helicycle they would have been dead without a doubt. I am now very concerned what these things can do if they overspeed....
Can you tell us more about your T62 explosion! I have 400 hours on mine and it is running fine in my Helicycle, seems like all the comments are ten years old and these turbines are in quite a few ships now

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Can you tell us more about your T62 explosion! I have 400 hours on mine and it is running fine in my Helicycle, seems like all the comments are ten years old and these turbines are in quite a few ships now
Charles Jones AKA Rotor Cop has not been on the forum since April 16,2019 so you may not get a response to your query.

Captain Bill

I know that these turbines are common in the Mosquito as well as the Helicycle and there just is not a lot of updates in recent years. Certainly there are new stories to tell

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mine ran fine except for two flameouts which ended in both successful autos to the ground....the first being a 40 mph run on landing skidding 200 ft till stopped.....all caught with my go pro skidcam. I flew it home. :)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
The flameouts were caused by fuel being cut off too much when I had a hard load on the collective...then suddenly released it.

A few calls to Doug Schwochert...and a simple turn of a screw fixed it. 4 straight years of not a single issue after that.

I was burning kerosene and JetA.

I sold it in 2014.

Captain Bill

Thanks Stan, I have really enjoyed flying 355BZ it certainly has better response than the R-22's I trained on. Still getting used to the turbine but when I heard of your flameouts I figured I better do some research. Keith and the new Helicycle factory is just 20 minutes away so I have a really good relationship with the new factory. Some of the dire warnings about the turbine in the early years seem to have been solved

Captain Bill

The flameouts were caused by fuel being cut off too much when I had a hard load on the collective...then suddenly released it.

A few calls to Doug Schwochert...and a simple turn of a screw fixed it. 4 straight years of not a single issue after that.

I sold it in 2014.
Stan how old were you when you stopped flying the helicycle. Just asking cause I am 72 and I wonder how much longer I can fly it

Captain Bill

It certainly is the best toy I have ever had. It handles so much better than the R-22 and I fly out of a 3700 foot high field. Keith took his to 18,000 feet and still had collective left. I did some recurrent in ABQ and even with a skinny young kid on board, the R-22 was gasping for breath. Interesting auto's at that altitude.

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+

I sold it in 2014.
Is that what caused the one to go down at Mentone that year we had to pick it out of the corn? I always wondered why it quit.