Social Media?

Sv.grainne

Aircraft
Aviomania, G1sB Genesis
I've never been a fan of social media but I bit the bullet and joined Facebook so I could look at Pra62. I was seriously disappointed... So much good information could be posted to a real Website. Instead I was treated to a sequential blog like view of photos with absolutely no info of any value.

Why?

Disregard my comment, see that the Social Media posts are taking the place of newsletters, oh well.

Social media the likes of Facebook, etc. is, by design, addiction-based "sound bytes" for the ADD crowd. It exists primarily to scrape data of its users for targeted ad revenue. For me personally it has no redeeming value.

I agree with Brian. Even the “likes” are not posted in real time, but released gradually, by an algorithm driven formula that keeps users checking their phones. I also agree that social media has actually become the real “big brother”, watching your every move. My own wife freely admits she is an addict. 😏

As Betty White famously said on SNL, “It seems like a huge waste of time.”

And stay the hell of my lawn! 😁

I've never been a fan of social media but I bit the bullet and joined Facebook so I could look at Pra62. I was seriously disappointed... So much good information could be posted to a real Website. Instead I was treated to a sequential blog like view of photos with absolutely no info of any value.

Why?
None of us have much time to post anything anywhere. We spend most of our time building and flying. If you have questions or comments, people will make the time to respond. Chapter 62's monthly meeting is this Saturday at 11am at the hangars in Anahuac. You should swing by and meet everyone. If you can't make it this Saturday, we're always out there every Saturday most of the day. I'll be missing this Saturday due to a family event, but it's rare I miss a weekend. Danny, Chauncey, and Tony will be there for sure, as well as anyone else that shows up.

None of us have much time to post anything anywhere. We spend most of our time building and flying. If you have questions or comments, people will make the time to respond. Chapter 62's monthly meeting is this Saturday at 11am at the hangars in Anahuac. You should swing by and meet everyone. If you can't make it this Saturday, we're always out there every Saturday most of the day. I'll be missing this Saturday due to a family event, but it's rare I miss a weekend. Danny, Chauncey, and Tony will be there for sure, as well as anyone else that shows up.
I have been spending lots of time searching here, looking for Gyroplane websites, etc. I'm hoping to build and fly my own Gyroplane in the near future so doing lots of lurking. I've spoken with the owner of N910NE there in your club and intend to drive over once daylight savings time comes back and the days get a bit longer. I live in Kerrville, TX so about a 5 hr drive for me.

I much prefer Websites, Forums or Blogs as they are way easier to search, ask questions, etc. Not a fan of Social Media at all....

Some within the U.S. Navy are concerned over the "addiction" to social media.

The Readiness Threat Right Before Our Eyes

Attachments

• Kurtz-PRO-2-20 1.jpg
    Kurtz-PRO-2-20 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Kurtz-PRO-2-20 2.jpg
    Kurtz-PRO-2-20 2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6
I have been spending lots of time searching here, looking for Gyroplane websites, etc. I'm hoping to build and fly my own Gyroplane in the near future so doing lots of lurking. I've spoken with the owner of N910NE there in your club and intend to drive over once daylight savings time comes back and the days get a bit longer. I live in Kerrville, TX so about a 5 hr drive for me.

I much prefer Websites, Forums or Blogs as they are way easier to search, ask questions, etc. Not a fan of Social Media at all....
Oh, Kerrville is quite a trip. We hope to see you soon.

I plan to come over April/May. Will leave here on a Friday and spend the night close to the field then attend a Saturday meeting. Look forward to the visit. Heading up to the Dublin Fly in in March as well.

Last edited:
I plan to come over April/May. Will leave here on a Friday and spend the night close to the field then attend a Saturday meeting. Look forward to the visit. Heading up to the Dublin Fly in in March as well.
Bobby, I fly my AutoGyro Calidus close by you in Boerne, and there are many gyros near Austin in Taylor TX where the Magni guys (Lone Star Magni Gyro) train and fly. Let me know if I can be of any help. Ray

Bobby, I fly my AutoGyro Calidus close by you in Boerne, and there are many gyros near Austin in Taylor TX where the Magni guys (Lone Star Magni Gyro) train and fly. Let me know if I can be of any help. Ray
Will do.

Bobby

Before smartphones and Facebook, going online and to forums like this was the way to ask questions.... share stories.... post pictures.... search for info... and in cases like the gyro community, where we are often the only one in our area flying one, a way to be socially connected with others in the same hobby/interest.

But now that most people have smartphones, and so many people use Facebook, it is simply much easier to do all the above via a group page or an individual page than to have to log into a forum and do the same.

You will oftentimes get a quicker response via FB than on a forum.

The one drawback is it is hard to impossible to search for something specific via FB, whereas on a forum like this, you can search through old postings and see things posted years and years ago.