So what gyro would you buy if you were just starting out and knew what you know now?

If Mark Rhodes & Britta Penca are the gyro-knowledgable ones you are referring to, then their word is as good as gold! They are known for NOT being liars/exaggerators.

They probably have extensive knowledge of the A/Cs for sale there in San Manual since it is a very small community.

One of those A/Cs may have been Britta's previously.

Pictures would be helpful.

It sounds like a good deal to me.

She is not a legal ultralight so you will need to have an N number, registration, an airworthiness certificate and operating limitations on board before she is legal to fly.

You will need to have a minimum of Sport Pilot, Gyroplane certificate (license) to fly her legally.

I recommend going over the whole aircraft very carefully before flying her even if she has had a recent annual condition inspection.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Pictures would be helpful.

It sounds like a good deal to me.

She is not a legal ultralight so you will need to have an N number, registration, an airworthiness certificate and operating limitations on board before she is legal to fly.

You will need to have a minimum of Sport Pilot, Gyroplane certificate (license) to fly her legally.

I recommend going over the whole aircraft very carefully before flying her even if she has had a recent annual condition inspection.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.
I have already begun looking for who can train me, me previous experience is with FAR 103 PPGs, so I will have to work on that license.

If Mark Rhodes & Britta Penca are the gyro-knowledgable ones you are referring to, then their word is as good as gold! They are known for NOT being liars/exaggerators.

They probably have extensive knowledge of the A/Cs for sale there in San Manual since it is a very small community.

One of those A/Cs may have been Britta's previously.
I haven't actually asked Mark yet, but yes.... :)

Worked out the photo issues for the modified AC 1 place... See below and comment if you like

Attachments

• 582(b).png
    582(b).png
    449.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 582a.jpg.png
    582a.jpg.png
    539.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 582c.png
    582c.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 582d.png
    582d.png
    352 KB · Views: 20
  • 582e.png
    582e.png
    403.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 583f.png
    583f.png
    189.4 KB · Views: 25
I don't see an N number Bob; so you will need to find a way to register her if she is not registered.

She looks very nice.

I have seen a lot of 582 powered aircraft and wonder about two strokes. There isn't a PPG guy that hasn't had an engine out.
I pay particular attention to engine care and feeding. I've never had an engine out when I had a 582 and it was a pull start.

I pay particular attention to engine care and feeding. I've never had an engine out when I had a 582 and it was a pull start.
It will happen in 2 stroke so be ready… seen so many engine outs as Bob knows…. The good maintenance seem to correlate to reducing engine outs… However, seen two brand new engines fail on first flight. One in Mosquito helicopter and other in ultralight plane.

Last edited:
One additional thing has popped up. A gyro that I am considering was offered to me after it will have been disassembled. The owner thought my assembling it again would qualify me for the exemption to annuals, allowing me to annual my own aircraft.

I am not sure it would meet the 51% rule, and I was under the impression that "loophole" was given to the person who constructed the gyro initially. At any rate, there is a class you can take to become qualifies to service your own LSA....

Does this sound right? Comments?

Sorry, reassembly is not valid to qualify you as the builder.

Sorry, reassembly is not valid to qualify you as the builder.
One FAA official at my FISDO said yes if it was disassembled then reassembled the person would qualify for the Repairmans certificate. This was several years ago. His replacement was surprised that his predecessor would say that. He stated no way that would that be legal.

Bob, I believe you are getting the requirements for Experimental and LSA mixed up. An LSA is a factory built aircraft. Which you can take a class for repairs etc.

An Experimental (EAB) is built from plans or a kit confirming to the 51% rule. The builder can apply for the Repairmans certificate. If you do not have the Repairmans certificate for that aircraft then it has to be at least an A&P to do the conditional inspection.

You can not take a class for LSA repairman to do a Conditional inspection on an Experimental aircraft.

If the aircrafts gross weight is 1320lbs or less, and meets other requirements, then it can be flown by an LSA pilot who is rated in that aircraft.

One additional thing has popped up. A gyro that I am considering was offered to me after it will have been disassembled. The owner thought my assembling it again would qualify me for the exemption to annuals, allowing me to annual my own aircraft.

I am not sure it would meet the 51% rule, and I was under the impression that "loophole" was given to the person who constructed the gyro initially. At any rate, there is a class you can take to become qualifies to service your own LSA....

Does this sound right? Comments?
If you built the aircraft you can apply for the Repairmans Certificate which allows you to perform the annual Condition Inspections.

The Annual Condition Inspection would have to be performed "The inspection can be performed by any licensed A&P mechanic, an FAA Approved Repair Station, or by the original builder of the airplane provided the builder has a "Repairman Certificate" for that aircraft from the FAA."

One FAA official at my FISDO said yes if it was disassembled then reassembled the person would qualify for the Repairmans certificate. This was several years ago. His replacement was surprised that his predecessor would say that. He stated no way that would that be legal.

Bob, I believe you are getting the requirements for Experimental and LSA mixed up. An LSA is a factory built aircraft. Which you can take a class for repairs etc.

An Experimental (EAB) is built from plans or a kit confirming to the 51% rule. The builder can apply for the Repairmans certificate. If you do not have the Repairmans certificate for that aircraft then it has to be at least an A&P to do the conditional inspection.

You can not take a class for LSA repairman to do a Conditional inspection on an Experimental aircraft.

If the aircrafts gross weight is 1320lbs or less, and meets other requirements, then it can be flown by an LSA pilot who is rated in that aircraft.
Is there a deadline after experimental aircraft has been built to apply for repair,an certificate? Thanks!

According to the Nashville FSDO, no there is no time limit for the builder on record to apply for a repairman certificate.

Is there a deadline after experimental aircraft has been built to apply for repair,an certificate? Thanks!
It would behove you to get it before your aircraft needs it for it's first conditional inspection. Or pay someone else to do it.

No deadline, but if you don't get it within a year, who's going to be doing your required annual condition inspection?
* * JINX * *

I don't see an N number Bob; so you will need to find a way to register her if she is not registered.

She looks very nice.
Actually, in Photo #5, I see a "N" number on the top of the instrument panel. It shows the original builder of the kit is still the registered owner.
This A/C gyro appears to be one of the LSA gyroplanes, as the registration info on the FAA page indicates it was b/4 2008, like mine was when fat ultralights & unregistered aircraft were allowed to come "in from the cold:.

One FAA official at my FISDO said yes if it was disassembled then reassembled the person would qualify for the Repairman's certificate. This was several years ago. His replacement was surprised that his predecessor would say that. He stated no way that would that be legal.

An Experimental (EAB) is built from plans or a kit confirming to the 51% rule. The builder can apply for the Repairman's certificate. If you do not have the Repairman's certificate for that aircraft then it has to be at least an A&P to do the conditional inspection.

So it would seem that, once a kit experimental is built, no-one other than the original builder may repair that aircraft unless they are an A&P mechanic. Anyone purchasing a kit built must treat that plane as if it were a standard light aircraft and has no recourse other than becoming an A&P themselves in regards to maintaining the craft themselves?

Or did I misunderstand something?

You can do a bunch of the maintenance yourself like any other Experimental Amateur Built, it just needs an annual condition inspection and sign off from an A&P (or the original builder with a Repairman Certificate.)