So long old Buddy

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
No more twinkees, How will we old guys survive ? Love those googy, fat filled things. So long old buddys

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
They shouldn't be able to do that. Twinkees were a staple when I was growing up.

OuterMarker

Aspirant
Aircraft
Air Command
Total Flight Time
94-rotor
citing the cost of health insurance and pensions...it was ok for upper management to earn millions, now they will continue to earn millions by filing chapter 11....they get to throw away their commitment to employees who have spent a working lifetime with the company in hopes of having truely "golden years"...now these employees will most likely lose half of everything they were promised with the threat of "take half or nothing if the company folds".....ahhh yes, the rich just keep getting richer.....and now the poor might not even get twinkees....

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Another true American icon falls victim to freaking union BS............. This is the year to change things around. Go and vote to save the rest of the great American heritage with all the twinkiees, hohos, and wonderbreads including ..... before phucking Chinese knock offs loaded with led and other potential health friendly chemicals flood the market LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
This must be one of those internet scams to get us to buy more twinkies.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I'm not sure what you guys are reading into this. The company expects to have no interruption of its production, and to keep all 570 of its stores open for now. The Twinkies and Ho-Hos aren't going anywhere.

And if the company does go under, all those brands have established value. Someone will buy the rights to the names and recipes, and Twinkies will just be made by Little Debbie or someone else.

It's hard to imagine adjustments in the salaries of a few executives making up a $341 million loss. If Hostess has old-school defined-benefit health plans and big pensions, and is competing with companies which do not have those costs, the writing is on the wall.

It's time for all those Teamsters to choose a short-term gravy train or stable employment.

pancho

Aircraft
Precepter ultrapup
Total Flight Time
I'm not sure what you guys are reading into this. The company expects to have no interruption of its production, and to keep all 570 of its stores open for now. The Twinkies and Ho-Hos aren't going anywhere.

And if the company does go under, all those brands have established value. Someone will buy the rights to the names and recipes, and Twinkies will just be made by Little Debbie or someone else.

It's hard to imagine adjustments in the salaries of a few executives making up a $341 million loss. If Hostess has old-school defined-benefit health plans and big pensions, and is competing with companies which do not have those costs, the writing is on the wall.

It's time for all those Teamsters to choose a short-term gravy train or stable employment.

Very well stated. Couldn't a sed it better meeself.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
The biscuit wheels are falling off the gravy train.....
Poor old Twinkie the kid will be put out to pasture..Oh the humanity!

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Before everybody jumps on the union-bashing wagon, remember that Hostess already went into bankruptcy in 2004, and came out restructured under Chapter 11 in 2009. If the people running the company hadn't caught on by then to the thirty-plus-year trend that the market for healthy food was growing, the market for WonderBread was shrinking, that pensions were costly, and that ingredients were going up in price, that's probably not the union's fault. And all those pension benefits they owe today didn't arise suddenly between 2009 and now. Somebody in management is responsible for negotiating union contracts, management pays bundles of money for top-notch legal help with it, and somebody in management signs the agreements on behalf of the shareholders, with the business plan (made by management, not the union) in mind. And if those same people didn't fix what they needed to when they had the chance in the first bankruptcy, it seems to me that some of those "Job Creators" in charge are going to have to take their share of the blame for the company's current woes.

Personally, I ate enough Twinkies and those chocolate cup cakes with the white squiggle on top when I was a teenager that I figure they won't need to embalm me when I die (if you are what you eat, I must be at least 30% preservatives, with a shelf life longer than DingDongs or HoHos). But I stopped buying them. So maybe I'm to blame, too.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I have a story that involves a Hostess cupcake and a Ford pinto........

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Careful Scott, has the statute of limitations run out on this story :) :) :)

Tony

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
...Somebody in management is responsible for negotiating union contracts...And if those same people didn't fix what they needed to when they had the chance in the first bankruptcy, it seems to me that some of those "Job Creators" in charge are going to have to take their share of the blame for the company's current woes.
Absolutely. But it doesn't change the choice the union members now face. Just delayed it a couple years.