SnoBird Tandem on Barnstormers

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Please check out my "ad" on the Barnstormers classified section, GYROPLANE , I don't know how to link it. I'm selling it and moving to Florida to be near to my girls and grandkids. I will continue to instruct in "student owned" gyros. My credentials will all be good for at least two more years. Instructing for me will be forever. It has been my life's path and what a fun and "exciting" path it has been. There is nothing more exciting than looking at the world from the seat of a GYROPLANE.

Great memories! My introduction into gyros (and flying) was 6 years ago with Chris and the SnoBird.

-Kurt

Bad news for me, buddy !

Good Luck, any suggestions for me ?

Darn! I've waited too long to catch a flight with you in that machine, Chris! Good luck with the sale and enjoy yourself in Florida.

How many US instructors still have legacy, open-frame tandems available for training? Options for single-seat pilots to get training may soon be limited only to euro-style gyros with aircraft systems very different from their own machines.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help and comments. The bites are coming.!!! That bird is one good trainer for the open-frame students. If they can fly it, they will do fine in most open-frame gyros. Besides that, it's a "head turner"

Hi Chris.

Darn, I was looking forward to getting training from you in that machine. But I do hope to meet you someday at a fly-in.

A very nice tandem!

A very nice tandem!

I found my dual instruction with you to be very instructive and your Snowbird to be an excellent trainer Chris.

I am proud to have your endorsements in my log book.

You are one of the instructors I try to emulate.

Your maintenance on the aircraft has always been first rate and professional.

I don’t like to see you giving up your aircraft Chris; it suits your teaching style very well.

I recommend you to anyone seeking training for a small single seater. There will be a gap in available training without your aircraft. A larger two place tandem is no substitute for your light, agile aircraft.

I was always amazed at how smooth and quiet your Snowbird is.

Hi Chris,

I agree with Paul, sorry to see you sell your pride-and-joy. When did you change from (I believe) from the Sport Rotor blades to McCutchen Skywheels?

Can you also fill us in on some stats? Empty Weight, gross weight, useful load heaviest occupant in the front seat, cruise, Vne.

Thanks,

Wayne

Last edited:
I had RAF 29 footers for most of my hours. When Jim said he was making rotors again and my RAF's hit near 1000 hours "timed-out", it was a no-brainer. Jims center hub lowers drag and his rotor allows me to fly on 200 less engine rpm. Empty weight 587#. I fly to max gross when needed which is 1050#. I can do 230# in the front seat with that tank empty. This is on the "standard" cheekplates. I have factory plates for heavier guys in the front but I just don't bother. I set the Vne at 70 after flight testing to 85. It can be flown at 85 (not by a student) but again, "why bother", not much fun there open cockpit. "Low and Slow" steady as you go. I like cruise at 50. 60 is easy to do just not as much fun. Fun is what it's all about after all.

Thanks for the kind words Vance. You are a most interest person. It has been "great" to have those long post-flight talks with you. I get to learn so many things from you. Each "jewel" from our discussions has been "priceless" and memorable. Thanks.

Last edited:
Selling has moved up a little in priority. I got my "third" compression fracture notice as of yesterday. I was told I have osteoporosis about two years ago when I broke vertabra #2 jumping down from a gyro "hang test", John F's Aurora. So no heavy lifting and I'm moving? Well that's a bummer.!!! Anyway, I might be a little "drugged" and talk a little funny but I'm still here. Muscles are willing but the "bones" are weak. I think I was told I'm getting "old".??!!!

I reduced the price to $18,500. Getting close to my move and I have a back to mend. Reasonable offers are accepted.

My SnoBird will be going to a new home in South Carolina. It is sold and the transfer will take place on the 27th. Hope we can get one last flight that morning. I will miss her. My back is healing but I think another month will be an exercise in "patience". Need to fuel from 2.5 gallon cans because I just shouldn't be lifting more than that. Get another bone scan in June and I hope it shows some progress in the fight against osteoporosis.

I'm happy for you Chris, but sadden too it's like a legacy being sold.