Skyrunner Coaxial helicoper

Zigge

It is time I starded a thread...
This is a project that at first was just a crazy dream, but why dream when you can do it!
My heli is inspired by the Nolan helicopter and Gen-4
It has Weight shifting controls and fixed pitch

Ok I am not building this thing to fly every day, It is just a way for me to see what I can do, so if it is in the air ten minutes and works fine I will be happy, but I take no shortcuts it will be made to fly high and safe, safety is the reason that is has two engines and It is supposed to fly on just one engine

Rotor diameter 4 meters
Engine 2x40hp (Rotax 447)
Lift power one engine 285kg
Lift power two engines 460kg
Weight 185kg (aprox)

The lift power are not exact but sems to be close since when a compere with values from Mosquito it looks ok.

assemchassvxl.jpg

dsc01154a.jpg

Looking forward to your build Pier!
I like the design!

Thanks for starting specific thread on your ultralight helicopter project.
Clap.gif

Perhaps it will motivate others, which have a similar interest, to start their own project and then a specific thread, so all can share knowledge about a common goal.

Dave

...My heli is inspired by the Nolan helicopter and Gen-4
It has Weight shifting controls and fixed pitch....

Rotor diameter 4 meters
Engine 2x40hp (Rotax 447)
Weight 185kg (aprox)
Now we seam to speek the same languish. That might lead to further understanding :peace:

You are building a helicopter, and it should be compared to other helicopters – right.

Nice, looks like you are good with a rendering program as well as in real life building, looking forward to see more or your progress, and the intended drawings or plans...

One reason that I have rotors, gearbox and engines in one package is that I want to be able to put the unit in a box and store it safely, while the frame can be in the garage, or outside and nothing can be damaged, kids kan play with it lawnmowers can hit it and so on.

another chassi picture
dsc01153b.jpg

Gearbox with 3 in going shafts one is for the brake disk or if I change the concept, the out going long shaft is not the diameter it will have when finished.
inside is pure magic:peace:
vxlbild.jpg

I got my CAD program six weeks ago but it is very fun to learn so I do my best...

Last edited:
I am facinated by your project, and would love to recieved any information you would be willing to share, and I really am interested in that gear box and how it works.

please if you can, keep me in the loop, Andy

Last edited:
Sure, it is a big advantage to practicly have the whole helicopter in one box.
And sure, it is a big disadvantage to have that box so high and on top of head!
That box should be less complicated than some rotor heads they put there lives on..

It could be the simplest helicopter to build and learn to fly, that the world has ever seen.
Are we sure, that weight shift still will work fine, when the top weigh is bigger than hanging weight?
I guess it is.

Inspired by your work, I will today upgrade my CAD program to Inventor 2010, and do a bit more work on the HoverLight :typing:
What CAD program are you using?

Attachments

• heli-head2-640.jpg
    heli-head2-640.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi
I live in Jonkoping and I am in Malmo from time to time.
The program I am using is SolidWorks.

Thanks for all the good input.
The rotors I intend to use are French and are extruded aluminium, probably no differnent from others only problem is that hi can not deliver the end caps and mounting parts...

I have some more work to to on the chassi before paint but first I must put every thing on it, pedals battery tail rudder and then find its CoG

The engine that I would love to use is the Aixro XR50 Wankel engine 17kg/50Hp (without exhaust or radiator)

Well, good choice, for both, the rotor blades and the engine, the blades I mentioned are also extruded aluminium, they come with counter balance, spanwise and chordwise, I'm very interested in a coaxial configuration, I´m at the moment having to many projects but with fixed wings, 2 Jodels and a volksplane, but I never stop dreaming about a helicopter, and definetely would love to build one. I thin I will wait little bit more until you get more pieces together, and I will pay you a visit, but I think we can take this off-line.
Please keep us posted with you progress!!

you may tae a look here!
http://www.vortechinternational.com/

I know of a danish supplier of extruded alu blades, who has delivered to quite a few Swedish gyros.
The blades are 7" wide and a bit heavy - I have been told.

....The engine that I would love to use is the Aixro XR50 Wankel engine 17kg/50Hp...
I understand - me too.

But mine is a groundrunner.
Yours is a skyrunner.

I think you should use proven engines. My thoughts.

Thanks for your advice, louww.
Good for those who want it complicated...

Last edited:
Yeah, Lou I have seen that, but it´s a bit expensive, more exciting to do all yourself, there are some companies that make coxials like the rotorfly and the ENARA, complete, but then again, why post on the "BUILDERS CORNERS" ???

:) sorry I did not meant to sounds rude... but I think that system is too expensive and heavy, ís about 93 kgs without the rotorblades....

As you say the weight of the enginepackage is one concern that I have, is it to heavy compared with the chassi and pilot?

if you look at the Gen-4 it has a lot of weight on top but not close to the weight I am planning on... but on the other hand I have more weight in my chassi so the difference might not be that big

Ground-runner

Ground-runner

What a joy to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcNcA_zViw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgn1Psq0V24

Notice he can unload the ship with his whole body weight if needed, and give a hand with his body in case landing goes a little different as planed.
This type with 1 or 2 wankel engine(s), low inertia props and only used for hovering – that would be a winner :first:

The name could be Ground-runner...

Attachments

• gen4-2.jpg
    gen4-2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
  • gen4.jpg
    gen4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
By the way, I think it is better to let the control bars serve also as landing gear - as Schoefman do.
Then you can better grab hold of the machine in case it like to tilt after touch down.