Skunk Works

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
She's finished and flies well.

Specs:
27' Dragon Wing Cruiser rotors
Rotax 912 80 hp
Warp Drive 67" 3 blade prop
14 gallons usable fuel.
Cleveland Wheels and brakes
Amptronic Glass Panel
Electric pre-rotator
Air Activated rotor brake

Climb: 1200 ft/min @ 70 mph indicated
Cruise: 80-90 mph indicated @ 5000 rpm.
Top Speed as currently set up: 118 mph @ 5300 rpm.

Attachments

• IMAG1686.jpg
    IMAG1686.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

jebthereb

AWS CWI
Aircraft
trained in mto sport. Trained in r22
Total Flight Time
9 hrs MTO Sport 13.5 hrs r22
looks good. does the engine have a cowling off for the pics?

Steve Weir

Dragonfly
Aircraft
Dragonfly and building a Littlewing LW4
Total Flight Time
200 hrs PIC Gyroplane
Barry,
Congratulations she looks sweet! Looks like you have a nice cross country machine.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Nice work ! Hey how do you feel about that sawed off exhaust ? That won't burn valves will it ?

How does she sound ?

Some video of her flying would be real nice !

Udi

Platinum Member
Nice! Is/was this really a Windrider? Looks very different from the Windriders I have seen. What kind of mast does it have?

Udi

hjajr

Aircraft
gyro,helicopter,fixed wing
Total Flight Time
That is one fine looking Gyrocopter. State of the art. Very inpressive work Barry. Harry

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Nice! Is/was this really a Windrider? Looks very different from the Windriders I have seen. What kind of mast does it have?Udi

I heard this from Chris Wilson, prior to being sold to Barry: It was changed over to a CLT Windryder while it was still in Texas by Larry Neal and Chris Wilson.

Greg Mitchell

Aircraft
Butterfly Monarch 582
Total Flight Time
200 hrs
I believe that is correct Kevin. I understand Larry Neal and Chris Wilson had done the early conversion.

I very interested in the performance data, here's why.

The son of Bert Flood the Rotax engine dealer in Australia (the only one, he has a monoploly) told me a couple years ago when I quizzed him about the Ricks Rotax 670 engines, that his father Bert had a Windryder in OZ many years ago. My memory is vague but I'm sure he said it had a 582, he was not happy with the performance.

He changed out engines thinking the 80 hp 912 rotax would give him more 'grunt'.
I believe Gary said his Dad could hardly brake ground due to the heavier engine having a less than satisfactory power to weight ratio, in the said gyro.

Having said this, I wonder how much lighter this gyro was built. I know Larry very well and getting the weight down is one of his main drives, is for all of us.

Not only that but given the data here I wonder also just how much more efficient this CLT setup is compared to the original HTL Windryder.

Food for thought.

Mitch

KJM

Aircraft
Windryder
Total Flight Time
Windryder 912

Windryder 912

The windryder reffered to as belonging to Bert Flood is the one I purchased from him. At the time of sale it was fitted with a 582 and performed well.
The original motor was a 532 Which Bert Changed to the 582.He told me that he fitted the 912 80 hp looking for more speed and although it gave similar performance to the 582 was not any faster . So he changed back to the 582
When I purchased the Windryder it came with all the gear to put a 912 in if I
want to. At present the Wyndryder is Stripped down and being refubished and
prepared for a hang test. I will be repowering it with a 618 Fitted with 3 blade Patroney prop.
If you want you can see my Windryder with the 912 fitted and Bert Flood as
Pilot flying on you tube. Go to google and search. Windryder Gyroplane with 912 rotax .Their are two videos one is average and the other not too bad. Paul Bruty took the videos. Paul has also flown my Windryder.