single place tall tail differences?

13brv3

Gold Member
Greetings,

I've accumulated everything I'll need to build a 912UL powered single place Dominator, including a tall tail. I have plans, which of course only show the normal shorter tail. I know that they made a number of tall tail versions for people with larger engines/props, and I'm wondering how much was different. If the tail is 10 inches taller, then I'd imagine the mast also has to be 10 inches taller. I'd also imagine the heavier engine and tail might require the rotor head to be moved back a little for CG purposes. Are there any other significant differences? I'm still pretty much in the planning stages, but hoping it's going to be a winter project.

Thanks,
Rusty

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
I'd also imagine the heavier engine and tail might require the rotor head to be moved back a little for CG purposes.
I would suggest before you cut and drill cheekplates. Is to make a set of test cheek plates out of plywood. With several different positions drilled for the rotorhead.

Then when doing the hang test you can move the rotorhead Back and forth till you get the correct angle. When you know the correct position you can transfer the bolt positions onto the perminant cheekplates.

13brv3

Gold Member
That certainly sounds like a good plan. I'll be making everything in CAD and CNC, so it will be easy to make test plates with multiple holes.