Single Place Enclosed

gyrodeputy

Total Flight Time
200 and growing
Let me start by venting...:(

I am very frustrated with what aircraft are currently on the market. There a lot of awesome machines out there but nothing that meets my current needs.
Lots of single and 2 place open cockpits, several (very expensive) two place enclosed high end machines.:mad:

Flying year round in South Dakota will require an enclosed machine. I cant afford something like a Calidus or Cavalon and don't want a sparrowhawk.

Recently I purchased a collection of old PRA Rotorcraft magazines from another forum member. I have really enjoyed the reading and history lesson.

However in one issue I became both intrigued and pissed about an article. In the May - June 2009 Rotorcraft, Page 6, featured a Rotor Flight Dynamics "The Eagle" a single place enclosed gyro...

I thought perfect that is exactly what I want to have/build. I contacted RFD and was told the project is dead and never produced other than the 1 prototype.

To get to the point...somebody, anybody...please tell me why this is such a challenge, why is nobody making a kit like this?

I understand there are some issues with enclosing a gyro. I get that. But there are plenty of 2 place enclosed out there. Why so few single place.

I am looking forward to opening a dialog on this topic. I have some other ideas on the issue and am looking forward to input from some of the forum members...and the 'experts.':hail:

Thanks!

single seat enclosed gyros

single seat enclosed gyros

Hi,

you could have a look at: http://www.rotortec.com/index.htm
The cloud dancer 1 is a single seat & enclosed gyro. The companies owner is on the rotory forum with the nick: ROTORTEC

You could also try: http://www.gyrotec.de/ - the DF02 is also an enclosed single seat gyro. For feedback you could contact "Schlagschrauber" from the German rotary forum, who flies one (http://www.gyrocopter-forum.de/)

If I remember correctly, Aviomania was intending to produce/ offer enclosed kits. Maybeyou could ask Nick about it?

Hope that helps

""Let me start by venting...""

Could be a business opportunity

You could add bubble doors to a Sportcopter Vortex.

I have an early RAF with the EA82 (100hp) that makes a great single. It can be seen in the classifieds. cheap!

Heath- I am with you. Living in Illinois is so much better behind a cabin. In the winter, full doors are not a luxury.....then as it warms up, remove one then two for open flying without all the wind.

I have flown my Bensen year round and know what its like flying in a snowmobile suit. Enough of that experience. I love flying in the summer doors off, but no wind in the cabin.

Stan

Cost virtually as much to build a single place as a two place. But if you live in a country where you have a degree of freedom....build a one!

Rotor Flight Dynamics "The Eagle" a single place enclosed gyro...

I thought perfect that is exactly what I want to have/build. I contacted RFD and was told the project is dead and never produced other than the 1 prototype.

As I remember it the Eagle used a cabin from the Mosquito helicopter. I believe Ernie sells blades to the Mosquito guys and may have gotten the cabin as part of a trade????

Given the cost and effort of producing a fiberglass cabin for his ships and the minimal demand the Eagle prototype generated it's not understandable the project is dead.

The old adage "If you build it they will come" typically doesn't work in the aviation world.

There was a thread somewhere recently (posted to anyway), where someone used the fiberglass body of a kit/homebuild helicopter for the body on a Subaru or VW powered single place gyro.

Where I am going with this: Look around (online) and find a suitable body casting (new or used), and adapt it to a current design. The first thing I would be thinking about when attempting this would be: Does the engine have enough HP and are the blades large enough to lift the extra weight... and I suspect you will put a small heater inside... so add some #'s in your calculations. Then of course there are CG issues... that is where the fun begins... :)

I suspect what you will find is the folks at RAF and Sparrowhawk worked out most of these details already... :)

Remember to accommodate engine cooling with that body blocking airflow over the engine and radiator.

If I were gonna attempt this... I would go to a few large gyro gatherings with my camera and notebook... and start collecting ideas and information. Then bring it back here and start some threads...
Just a thought: Be ready for some criticism... seems to happen with new ideas... sad but true.
"Thick skinned (yet still teachable) inventors seem to accomplish more." :)

Great tip

Great tip

Thanks Alan,
Great tip!

As I remember it the Eagle used a cabin from the Mosquito helicopter. I believe Ernie sells blades to the Mosquito guys and may have gotten the cabin as part of a trade????

Given the cost and effort of producing a fiberglass cabin for his ships and the minimal demand the Eagle prototype generated it's not understandable the project is dead.

The old adage "If you build it they will come" typically doesn't work in the aviation world.

I think it was HelicopterEd that put a rotorway single body on a Bensen? Was in a recent thread with pictures.

The RFD Eagle is one of the best looking enclosed single place machines I had ever seen, too bad it didn't make a place for itself in the market.

If you could fit a Tervamakki JT-5 pod on a Dominator...

picture.php

Wind Rider would be my choice too, lovely aircraft, but.............

If McCutchen agrees besides now Skywheels are back too.

McCutchens can build enclosures for any gyro. May be he gets interested.

Have been flying 25ft Skywheels since 1999.

Best Wishes
Rehan

Pictures saved from the old Barnstormers ad.

Attachments

• .watermarked_1b6f6641d68126a3c9045e811976b8d8.jpg
    .watermarked_1b6f6641d68126a3c9045e811976b8d8.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 9
  • .watermarked_9dd9895f57bcf696ad76eb547f6243b1.jpg
    .watermarked_9dd9895f57bcf696ad76eb547f6243b1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8
  • .watermarked_85d021bdfde86a4b68cb4c31aa828b02.jpg
    .watermarked_85d021bdfde86a4b68cb4c31aa828b02.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 9
  • .watermarked_844bed8750ae18b3bd5d8aaad3fabb74.jpg
    .watermarked_844bed8750ae18b3bd5d8aaad3fabb74.jpg