Simonini engines?

I have been reselling new Simonini "C" gearboxes for my Mohawk Aero Yamaha conversions for a couple of years and developed a good relationship with the manufacturer in Italy. Only had one issue, I objected to the prop shaft tolerances being too tight for main bearing used, asked them to reduce the size of the shaft which they did - returning the newly-machined shaft to my spec in just a couple of weeks! I was very impressed with their response and turn-around time.

Rotax refused to sell me anymore "E" gearboxes as of January 2023. (I was then the first person to report Rotax disco-ed the E box, just as I was the first person to report them disco-ing the C box. Make of it what you will.)

Then Russia invaded Ukraine and getting my AK7 and SPG gearboxes out of Belarus became next to impossible.

So I asked and was granted a USA dealership for Simonini's entire line of products last year, will update my website ASAP. Had no real interest in their engines until today. While posting on my FB group "Yamaha Aircraft Engine" about the new dealership agreement for the PSRUs I went to the Simonini site for photos to post and this led to my decision to carry and service their aircraft 2-stroke engines, WTH since Rotax bailed out of the 2-stroke aircraft business entirely may as well go whole-hog with this thing. And I've heard nothing but bad things about the Chinese MZ line. I always liked hte Italian Arrow stuff, what's not to like about Italian quality and customer/ dealer support, Simonini included?

They've been selling these "Victor-2" 100 hp motors since before 2004, I see on this thread. That makes it 20+ years. The issue reported here 20 years ago about a Ducati ignition unit failure doesn't worry me in the least.

As with everything I touch, I'm giving it my own, Mohawk name: SV-2. The SV-1 is a one-cyl variant putting out 54 HP.

The Mohawk "Sim C" gearbox shares most of the same basic dimensions with the Rotax C gearbox, including mounting bolt pattern and style which requires the top four bolts be inserted through the rear case with the front half removed.

Gearsets are $500.00, and come in the folowing ratios: 3.47:1, 3.06:1, 2.76:1, 2.54:1, 2.00:1, and 1.16:1 (diesel)

SV-2_0.jpgVictor-2 100hp stats.jpgSV-2_2.jpgSV-2_3.jpgSV-2_4.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see there is another option for the Rotax 2 stroke engine.

Hey! If it works as an alternative I don't really care what its called. Let there be peace.😊

Again using someone else's stuff rebranding it Mohawk and celebrating as if he did something. What a joke.
My post specifically states,

"So I asked and was granted a USA dealership for Simonini's entire line of products last year".

I use military-style acronyms often. EXAMPLE: I have been calling the Yamaha Genesis 2, 3 & 4 cyl engines YG2, YG3, and YG4 since at least 2011 because it is simple, easy, brief, and saves time and space on my accounting records.

People taunted, bullied, and trolled me on this point from 2012-2019. However, the MILITARY guys got it immediately w/o any infantile trolling BS, adopted and used it understanding the usefulness of acronyms as I do. The boogers finally gave up, and my customers and many others as well continue to use YG2/3/4 to this day. Guess what? Like it or not, there isn't a reader on here today who doesn't know what it means.

All that said, it was clearly expressed that I will be referring to the SIMONINI VICTOR ENGINES as SV2, and SV1. Spin it any way you will, Mike, this in no way, shape or form indicates that I am "rebranding [anything as] Mohawk and celebrating [it] as if did something."

All that aside, Mike, next time you go to the supermarket take note of the vast quantity of real rebranded goods sold under their own name. Now, I absolutely do rebrand the Airgear350 Type B PSRU as my own AK7. But that is the ONLY equipment I have ever "rebranded" as a Mohawk unit. Why did I do this? Because (1.) Airgear350 refuses to sell direct to anyone outside of Russia; (2.) the Canadian dealer for them, Air Trikes, rebrands it as their own "SPG4" (I think it stands for Special PSRU Gearbox #4, but never asked my friend Vassili about it); (3.) I order all AK7s to Mohawk Aero spec, and the Airgear350 type B PSRU I order as my own AK7 is NOT SOLD TO ANY OTHER DEALER OR INDIVIDUAL USING MOHAWK SPECS. An SPG4 will NOT mount to a stock Mohawk AK7 adapter, nor will the out-of-production TangoGyro SPG fit on a Mohawk AK7 adapter because THEY ARE NOT MADE TO MOHAWK SPEC. I can make an adapter for those other two spec gearboxes, and have done so on several occasions, but they are not mated to MAC YG4 AK7 adapters. They are mounted using MAC SPG, or SPG4 adapters which are all quite different from each other.

Last edited by a moderator: