Silver SportCopter II in Ann Arbor, Michigan area

curtisscholl

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Building Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
60+
Hi Folks

In the last few weeks I have seen one silver Cavalon flying around Ann Arbor, MI airport and it goes back and forth between Ann Arbor and looks like it heads toward Adrian. I listen for it now, the engine (Rotax 912?) makes a particular sound that I have memorized. It is loud enough to alert me when it might be a mile away.

So, who owns this mysterious denizen of the air? Is it being used as a trainer? Or is the owner so enthralled that he has to fly it every day?

Lucky Stiff!!

Curtis Scholl

That is likely Doug in his Sport Copter II getting ready for his Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane check ride.
It is unlikely that you could hear a Cavalon a mile away.
The IO-360 Lycoming in the Sport Copter II is a little loud.
Doug and Greg stopped by Santa Maria on there way to Florida before they flew her up to Michigan.
I wish him well.
Doug has worked very hard to become a Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane.
I talked to Doug and Greg this morning and hope to fly with Doug at the Mentone PRA convention.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi Vance,

Sport Copter II is it?

I thought Cavalon because Side by Side seating look and due to the three stabilizers....did not know SportCopter II had the same kind of tailfeather arrangement. I will have to get the binoculars out the next time I hear it. Yes, it is loud, and the three blade prop does give it a different sound.
But it is a quick one....fast mover from where I am on the ground.

Curtis Scholl

At this time Doug is planning on flying to the PRA convention in Mentone, Indiana if you want to have a look at his rare and beautiful machine.

He may only stay for a couple of days as it is around a 120 nautical mile flight.

I asked him yesterday and he said it was likely him you saw.

Despite his extensive cross country experience he still wants to sharpen up his takeoff and landing work and slow flight in preparation for his practical test.

Vance:

Very well. I will be down there Saturday and part of Sunday. I will be taking pictures home.
I hope that we can talk as well.

Thanks

Curtis Scholl

In my experience it is pretty much over Sunday Curtis so early Saturday would probably be a good thing and the banquet is usually Saturday night.

Vance:

Very well. I am coming down Friday evening to stay overnight somewhere near Mentone. Then getting out there before 8:00 AM if I can get Sarah moving. Planning on the banquet that night. This year I cannot take Friday off.

Thanks

Curtis Scholl

Last edited:
Vance:

Doug is flying this morning....heard his craft go southwest and he just came back to the airport.

He does like flying for sure.

Curtis Scholl