*sigh* Keep screwing up....

KDOG

Gold Member
Just realized today that I cut my diagonal engine mount braces "14.25 instead of "14.75. Last week I totally f***ed up my horizontal engine mount pieces and had to order some more angle, but only 4 foot. I think I can still use the diagonal pieces however, it would just be a matter of re-positioning the middle bolt hole in the horizontal pieces to compensate for the shorter length of the diagonals, which I'm guessing would move that hole only about a 1/4" or so forward toward the mast. Anyone see a problem with this? If it isn't a good idea or would compromise safety let me know and I'll just have to order more angle thats all.

Maybe its all the overtime I'm working, I don't know,but I seem to be making dumb mistakes. Maybe I even need to take a break...but I don't wanna!

I cut mine last night and darn near made the same mistake. My wife chuckles 'cause I usually measure everything 3 times before I cut. This time it was a good thing I did!

About your braces being shorter, I'm hoping Ralph or Doug will comment. I see it as not being a huge problem since you're moving the engine mount holes further in rather than the mast holes further up. But I can't promise they won't tell you to replace them.

KDog, weren't you one the guys bitching about the price to buy these items from Starbee a while back???? Now don't you see the value in what a kitmaker like themselves offer? Please don't take this post as a attack or rubbing salt in a open wound, but I do want to show the others out there lurking, that in most cases it is better off to spend a little more to get the machine put together RIGHT than to save a few bucks and have a machine where corner after corner was cut due to simple building mistakes.

Once again, please don't get offended or pissed at what I am saying. I am just making a point and sharing my two cents.

The angle package from Starbee is not drilled, only cut. So a person could make a mistake drilling and be in worse shape than I'm in now. They also charge $70.50 for the angle BEFORE shipping, so its still CONSIDERABLY less costly to buy the angle and do it myself. Even if I have to do it twice, I still come out ahead. And I'm not saving a few bucks, I'm saving alot of bucks. I estimate it will only be half the expense to build the airframe myself, maybe even less - which will translate later into saving for an engine, rotor, etc. And you make it sound like I'm just going to have a "slapped together" aircraft, which I do take offense. But if what I'm asking in my post is no less safe than spec, then whats the problem? If I get opinions from other flyers that suggest this course of action would be unsafe, then I won't be doing it, period. I'm not cutting "corner after corner". That comment really urks me. Again, I'm not just throwing the machine together. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to re-do my keel just because I don't like how ONE bolt hole in the cluster plate area came out on the keel thats on now.
I'm going to stop here and hopefull in the morning, there will be some constructive comments here...

KDOG.

You may have to make some parts more then once. Do not let this get under your skin. When you are done, you will have a gyro, an educational experience that you could not buy for any amount of money. On top of this, I can not begin to describe the wonderful feeling of accomplishment you will feel on that first flight. Been there, done that.
Keep up the effort. I will be watching.

Eddie

KDOG,

Ron wasn't attacking your methods; merely pointing out how much of the frustration could have been eliminated by pre-built, pre-fitted parts.

I also understand the romance in scratch building, which you and I are doing. That's why I found it important to be able to take constructive criticizm without ego. These guys have been flying gyros a while and we can learn a lot from them. Where in America can you get an education this cheap?

Kevin,
keep right on buying the raw aluminium, making those mistakes and sharing them. We all benefit. I personally am looking forward (one dim and distant day) to owning a gyro I built as much of as possible*, with blood, sweat, tears, frustration; and damnit, sheer bloody-mindedness.

Eddie,
Amen, brother! Where else *can* you get this kind of experience, and get a flying machine as a bonus gift?

John

*Disclaimer: To the limits of my skill (which currently isn't great.)

Last edited:
RotoPix said:
KDOG,

Ron wasn't attacking your methods; merely pointing out how much of the frustration could have been eliminated by pre-built, pre-fitted parts.

I also understand the romance in scratch building, which you and I are doing. That's why I found it important to be able to take constructive criticizm without ego. These guys have been flying gyros a while and we can learn a lot from them. Where in America can you get an education this cheap?

thanks Brian, My point exactly.

GyroRon said:
that in most cases it is better off to spend a little more to get the machine put together RIGHT than to save a few bucks and have a machine where corner after corner was cut due to simple building mistakes.

QUOTE]

KDog I am sorry it came across as it did, maybe I could have re worded it a little better. I know every time you have screwed up, you come here to see if or how you should fix the screw up. So I know your not just leaving it screwed up - which Would result in a machine build with corner after corner cut on it -

My intent was just simply to show that to some people out there considering building a gyro, that if your not skilled and or have the proper tools, it may be worth spending more money and getting a pre drilled bolt together kit, rather than going about it the hard way as you have choosen. It does cost more, maybe ALOT more, but in the end you can be satisified that the bundle of aluminum tubes that is holding your Butt up at 1000 feet AGL was done right.

Once again my participation in this thread was never meant to offend or upset you. Sorry if it did.

After some thought, I will redoing the entire engine mount, just a matter of ordering another 3-4ft of the 1.5ft angle, about 8 bucks worth. I'm going to go out in the workshop now and work on my new keel.... I need to contact Starbee and find out about the new nose block I've heard about so I know if there is a new bolt pattern. Anyway, thanks for you comments, I'll check back in later...