Shipping

From my experience, fuel burn is closer to: 14 gl/hr climb, 13 cruise and 12 decent.

Does any one know of a shipper that would go get my helicycle in Main and ship it to TN. I went on U-ship.com and the cheapest price was $3900. It was $2300 until I told them that the seller was to supervise the loading, tie down, and bracing, no if's and's or but's, it had to be done exactly like he said. May be some one can steer me in the right direction. Theses 2 prices were from the same company, just went up 'cause I told them how to load it, guess it tee'd them off or something.

Thanks,
James

Hello James,

Barnstormers often has aircraft shippers listed.

http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

You do a “search ads” then “services” then “shipping.”

I found a shipper there who did a nice job at a reasonable price but he is not currently listed and I don’t have his contact information.

It is nice because they have aviation experience and the one I used had insurance.

You could also rent a box truck or flat bed truck and make the drive yourself.

Good luck, Vance

There's WAY more risk to an aircraft being within feet of others on the highway for 20 hours, transported 1000 mi+ when compared to flying along with no hazards any closer than 500' for 11 hours, but I agree with Vance, Barnstormers is a great source.

If I had purchased a helicopter I would either fly it here myself, have the seller fly it here, or pay someone to ferry it here. I brought my Brantly here to my house 15 miles from the local airport on a trailer ONCE back in 1991. I did it EARLY on Sunday morning before traffic and I WAS A NERVOUS WRECK. Every time I crossed a road I was afraid someone would hit me.

Bryan- I was unaware it didn't have full doors. I just assumed that. There isn't any wind to speak of in the cabin with half doors.....and I would suggest a snowmobile suit would be just fine. I have one and have never used it yet , but I have only flown one hour in single digit temps...and with full doors.

I agree that flying is better than just strapping it down to a trailer and going for it. B.J. was very punctual about having the proper trailer with lightly loaded unsprung weight suspension.

Lots of G forces get transmitted from road shock.

You were asking about the range on it......if it has an aux tank....you can fly 125 mile legs with reserve......I fly to Mentone and have plenty of fuel left over and its 121 miles.

Stan

I would want it insured and the pilot listed if it was flown to me. Especially if the pilot isn't very high time in make and model. Also this bird has relatively low time, just out of the phase 1... That would make me nervous with it being flown.

Of course trailering it home would have risks too.

Now we're getting bereaucratic ideas involved. I'm a simple man. If I die, so what? If the ship is crashed, so what?

I don't think ANY Helicycle has insurance anywhere. My Brantly NEVER did. On the road, he would have no control over if the guy running from the cops that hits his ship on the highway would be covered by insurance or not.

The risk is much less for an air trip. I can get his ship to his house undamaged as long as the helicopter is up to the task, and as long as I don't have a stroke or heart attack in the air, for $500. No insurance, no red-tape, no disassembly, no removing the balanced rotor blades, no driver unschooled in helicopters bouncing the machine down the road, no hoop-lah.

Bryan,
Thats a very nice gesture on your part. I'm highly impressed with the camaraderie in the aviation community. Cannot beat that genuine desire to help a fellow aviator in need all bonded by one thing, the love of flying.

I never will forget Jim Little down on the gulf coast building his helicycle, just got his helicopter license and as soon as his 40 hours were flown off, made a cross country flight to Homer Bells Fly-in out in Ohio. 1750 miles round trip, and no problems for that fledgling pilot and machine.

Stan

I agree Stan. To me, getting in a strange helicopter and going on a trip is no different than borrowing your neighbor's truck and doing it in it, or more accurately, his motorcycle, because the weather MUST be "HARD VFR" along the route for several hours.

Is there any risk of ice build-up?

If "VISIBLE MOISTURE" is present, sure there is. Then it slings off unevenly (asymmetrical shedding) the aircraft usually shakes itself apart.

Don't fly in cold air in fog or clouds. Usually when temps fall below 32, it wrings all the moisture out of the air and humidity is almost zero.

Thanks to every one for their suggestions and help. Sorry Bryan, but the owner says a no go for flying. I do appreciate every one though. May be because he don't get the rest of his money until it is in my possession.

Last edited:
How much would it cost to rent a U-Haul truck one way?

One big enough to put it inside with the rotor blades off.

Could be done over a long weekend.

How much would it cost to rent a U-Haul truck one way?

One big enough to put it inside with the rotor blades off.

Could be done over a long weekend.

Why not rent a small inclosed truck round trip, they are always cheaper than one way and would save plane fare too.