Shipping options for a used kit

PilotMark

Hello, I'm new to the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for in the search function. I'm attempting to purchase a partially assembled kit from across the country so I'll need to ship it. I'm trying to find options for shipping that won't bankrupt me. What is out there? I'm currently looking at Greyhound to ship it.

Thanks!

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Enter your shipping information into UShip.com. You will get bids from different carriers. Years ago when I bought my dominator kit I flew to Florida, crated it up then had the good fortune of a fellow forum member being in Florida who drove it clear back to Washington for me in the back of his Tundra. I met him a week later on his way home to Portland, OR. Let everyone know what you're trying to do, you might be surprised who might be able to help.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
I sent a partially disassembled gyro airframe (in several large cardboard boxes) through Greyhound, as well as on another time I sent a set of rotorblades in the usual plywood box that rotorblade manufacturers build. I have also received gyro parts in larger than standard box sizes. Both times, other carriers wanted more $$ to send by them. They do limit the size & weight of what you want to send

From their shipping page: "Maximum weight per piece is 100 pounds and the maximum size that will fit under the bus is 29"x47"x82". Items exceeding the above weight and/or size will NOT be accepted by Greyhound Package Express for transport. All shipments must be packed in containers made of durable material and of quality sufficient to withstand handling on buses."

Greyhound also doesn't allow one to purchase extra insurance for very expensive items like the other carriers do w/ their higher rates. You can't buy up to cover your items if damaged, such as those other carriers. Insurance is limited to $1K per shipment. Some people require insurance whenever they ship something, while others don't.

If you want to ship through them, realize that they deliver to their closest terminal to the location you want and you are responsible for going to that terminal to pick up the shipment. They do offer delivery to your home, but the charges for that I don't feel is worth it if you can easily go to the terminal and have the time to do so.

It worked well on all occasions for transporting the items. By using Greyhound's shipping services, they have lots of room in their luggage bays underneath the coach. They do stipulate that delivery is subject to room available in those bays, and possible delays due to any emergencies, such as accidents, but those kind of situations would apply to all forms of shipping possibilities. I didn't have any delays when I used them.

There was one problem: A large box sent to me by a gyro fellow had been selected by him to be delivered to my house, a service that Greyhound offers that, of course, involves an extra charge. I hadn't requested it, since I live in the same city that had a Greyhound terminal that wasn't too far away from me. But, that fellow had already sent it, so I paid him for that also.

When the box arrived, Greyhound notified me to come pick it up. I called them back, and explained that it was to be delivered to my home by them. They denied that it was sent that way, and that I needed to come pick it up. So, I went down to the terminal to do so, and asked about refunding the delivery charge for home delivery. I was told that the manager would have to handle that and that he had already gone home for the day. They told me that I could call him back the next day. I did that, and he informed me that the shipment was not marked for home delivery, nor was it charged to the guy sending it.

I told them that it had been sent that way, and he asked for my documents to prove that it was sent w/ home delivery being charged. So, I had to have that guy send me his receipt showing it had included home delivery so I could then send it to them. I kept a photo copy and mailed the original to them. It took about a week to receive a check in the mail for that home delivery charge.

Customer service is lacking @ Greyhound. I received no apologies for the inconvenience or for having to prove to them that the home delivery was paid for. Besides my having to go through the hordes of street people hanging around the bus terminal, I felt Greyhound is weary w/ dealing w/ people who lie or steal that they forget to have any customer service and to believe their customers. In all conversations I had w/ Greyhound employees, either in person or over the phone, they sounded very stressed out, like they were short staffed. The price one pays to have very reasonable shipping rates!

I also have used Forward Air for sending or receiving gyro rotorblades, much to my delight. I heard about them I believe when Mike Boyette mentioned on this forum that his dad had no problems shipping their Dragon Wings rotorblades to their customers by using Forward Air. They are in most major cities in the US near an airport, since they ship through the airlines.

Their only drawback is that since I am not a known shipper to them (such as almost all businesses are), I had to bring the boxes to them to get them weighed, and leave (leaving the shipment there) to go purchase a US Postal Money order for that amount and then return to pay for the shipment. They do not accept credit cards, checks, cash, nor any MO other than the US Post Office ones. Their shipping rates beat several other air freight companies I called for quotes.

Forward Air employees are much more customer service oriented than Greyhound personnel, but also very business like. They don't waste your time nor theirs w/ idle chit-chat. They are busy and professional!

Last edited:

PilotMark

ToddP;n1144351 said:
Enter your shipping information into UShip.com. You will get bids from different carriers. Years ago when I bought my dominator kit I flew to Florida, crated it up then had the good fortune of a fellow forum member being in Florida who drove it clear back to Washington for me in the back of his Tundra. I met him a week later on his way home to Portland, OR. Let everyone know what you're trying to do, you might be surprised who might be able to help.
Thanks for the post. I'll look into uship.

It located in California and headed to Virginia.

PilotMark

I'll look into forward air as well. Thanks for the post Kevin. Although it sounds like Greyhound might be the best option here. It's an ultralight kit so I will definitely fall under weight restriction and it should skirt by the dimensions as well.

PilotMark

Kevin_Richey;n1144363 said:
So, PilotMark, can you let slip what kind of ultralight you're getting? Is it a gyro?
A gyrobee hopefully! Sale is not final, so I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch haha. I had been looking at buying a gyro kit for a while though and narrowed it down to 3 different kits. Gyrobee, an air command, and a dominator. Air command is redoing their kits and they aren't for sale yet and dominators aren't for sale anymore so gyrobee it is.