Sheet House Flying Rules

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
I know that here in Indiana our teachers make very good money. Every time the schools get more money for education, the teachers get another raise. Bottom line is the children don't seem to to be getting any more educated than 20 years ago. in fact, we have more kids not graduate now than any other time in history. It's really sad.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
This was in the rest room at Bingham City Airport Utah..

I think it would still apply today. Hopefully I didn't reduce it too much...
My favorite is No. 23, "don't land closer than 50 feet from the hangar".

GA Rotor Guy

Aircraft
Single Dominator
On the education and school thing:

First, let me stress this is my opinion:

It is not hard to stir folks up into thinking they have 'rights' and 'deserve' this or that... all one needs is a few gifted public speakers and a small amount of research. It is human nature to want more... and not very hard to get a group to want it enough to organize and demand it.

IMO the core of the federal dept of education is an unhealthy political relationship with the national education unions. And if any of us think for one minute any elected person will ever try to abolish the money supply from the federal govt to the teachers unions (which is what the dept of education seems to be funding--in a round about way)... we all know that would be political suicide.

Our founders devised a system where we could keep this lust for power contained... all we have to do is vote based on principles (The founding documents are a good set of principles), rather than financial gain. We all should remember: Any govt that is big enough to give you what you want... is big enough to take it away and possibly take your freedom also.

There is, IMO, a simple way to avoid most of the problems with big govt: NEVER trust a polecat... regardless of their party, beliefs, record, etc. Hold them all in contempt and make them accountable. See... it really would be easy to resolve the issues.... :)

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
General comments that no-one disagrees with, about education...
Most teachers CARE and do their best they can, given the "system" they work in.
Most administrators do too.
Pushing a rope is a waste of energy.
There will always be kids that don't reach their potential in school and in life.
There will always be kids that excel.
Energy spent trying to artificially MOVE more into the Excel column is wasted.
It cheats the ones who are doing well, who could do even better if more energy went to them.
A natural "survival of the fittest" mentality may have been a better way, but it's too late for that.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Bryan
I'll be flying in the Wicked up to Cartersville soon if you want to meet at the airport just PM and I'll send ya my phone number to make final arrangements.
Greg

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
IMO the core of the federal dept of education is an unhealthy political relationship with the national education unions. And if any of us think for one minute any elected person will ever try to abolish the money supply from the federal govt to the teachers unions (which is what the dept of education seems to be funding--in a round about way)... we all know that would be political suicide.
They hate each other and always have.
Check this out:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-23-paige-remarks_x.htm

(Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education Rod Paige calls teacher unions "terrorist organizations".) Successor Arne Duncan isn't very popular with the unions, either.

The Dept. of Ed pushes No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top with tons of high stakes testing, and the unions rant and rave about how horrible it is.

Schools here (and most other places) are funded principally by local property taxes. Federal funds are significantly less that what is required to meet the mandates the Feds put on the schools (the local high school district here spends millions more meeting Federal special ed requirements than the Feds pay for it, as just one example) so the Feds are a net drain on the district rather than a true source of money.

Last edited:

GA Rotor Guy

Aircraft
Single Dominator
They hate each other and always have.
Check this out:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-23-paige-remarks_x.htm

(Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education Rod Paige calls teacher unions "terrorist organizations".) Successor Arne Duncan isn't very popular with the unions, either.

The Dept. of Ed pushes No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top with tons of high stakes testing, and the unions rant and rave about how horrible it is.

Schools here (and most other places) are funded principally by local property taxes. Federal funds are significantly less that what is required to meet the mandates the Feds put on the schools (the local high school district here spends millions more meeting Federal special ed requirements than the Feds pay for it, as just one example) so the Feds are a net drain on the district rather than a true source of money.
Well...

If this is indeed true (rather than smoke and mirrors generated by polecats who like to lie and take the $$$...)

Then why has the dept of education never been held accountable. It is as much a sacred cow as the Postal system when it comes to accountability.

MeThinks there is more going on that is not in the public eye.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Not smoke and mirrors. I negotiated and wrote the collective bargaining agreement between the district I mentioned and the teachers' union, and can attest that it's all true.

themonarch

Aircraft
'06 Monarch 582. 150 hrs. tt. Purchased from the builder. Please see my aircraft on Craigslist.org.
Total Flight Time
46 hrs tt. 36 hrs CFI. The additional 10 with accomplished privates. Snuck in an optional solo.
post #15-Scott E.

post #15-Scott E.

Scott, your post describing math 1O1 "in the hood" is hilarious. As I was reading the problems I felt challenged to solve a few. I am assuming that these folks understand math in this sense (hmmm, maybe-hopefully)? Thanks for contributing the humor, I enjoyed it! Joe.

GA Rotor Guy

Aircraft
Single Dominator
Not smoke and mirrors. I negotiated and wrote the collective bargaining agreement between the district I mentioned and the teachers' union, and can attest that it's all true.
Hey Wasp,

There is no doubt in my mind you took good care of your special interest... and along the way saw a bunch of things most folks do not see. NOthing personal meant here... just trying to be courteous to your comment.

What I thought we were talking about... was the WASTE at the federal level. The issue of why the Federal Dept/Education is a sacred cow that will not be touched by any congresscritter has not been addressed. When we do address that... we can find a solution to get rid of the waste called the Dept/Education.

EVERYONE looses when a small number of spin-meisters line their pockets at the federal level at the tax payers expense. Personally... IMO there is no need for federal aid to schools. Why not just leave the $$$ at the state level. Why should we send $1.00 to the federal govt and get around $0.50 back with strings attached... why not just keep the $$$ at home and spend the whole $1.00 on the issue. BTW: this applies to a host of things... Imagine how much waste could be eliminated if the $$$ just stayed at the state level.

Some folks would say 'unfair'... Well, IMO fair is a principle of children. We adults know fair rarely happens... especially with govt. :help:

The founders who wrote our founding documents (which, BTW, are the final authority of law), said: All we have to do to loose our freedoms is...

Are you ready:

NOTHING.

Sure looks like we are trying hard to accomplish that loss... :boom:

Edit: I understand this forum would prefer to not have heated political discussions... and I fully understand why (I have a presence on a few political forums, it is sometimes fun to watch folks get really upset over trivial things... <grin>). And of course there is a load of 'goading' going on to watch someone get upset... I think they call this 'playing sport' with someone. Anyhow, I fully understand why this is derogatory to the quality of a forum... SOOO:

With this post... I am going to bow out of this thread... in the interest of lowering political rhetoric. You guys solve the world's issues, and let us know what we need to do to back you up... :)
PS--The solution needs to include LESS govt... :)

Last edited:

Scagmo

Total Flight Time
18. . took some lessons 30 years ago but never finished
As one who has worked in education a large part of my life, the biggest things wrong in k-12 education is the lack of parental involvement/support, teachers having to spend most of their time with classroom management (maintaining discipline), and the paperwork they have to keep up with. Give teachers the authority to reasonably discipline their students without fear of parents getting in their faces because Johnny would never do that and our schools would produce much better prepared graduates.

Harold