Seventies fun at Rockford, IL.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
PRA Convention in Rockford, IL. just after the EAA moved to Oshkosh, we moved into Rockford. Big fly-in Convention, run by Russ and Fran Jansen.

See if you can name these old timers?

Attachments

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Photo #1 is Dr. Bensen, #2 is some screwloose character from Florida whose name escapes me and #3, I have no idea.

Thanks, Tom, brings back some happy memories.

cesphil

Aircraft
Cessna 150 and Dominator
Total Flight Time
Igor Bensen
Chuck Beaty
Bud VanHooten

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
I should have guessed that was EA VanHooten, Phil, -He was one of the few who consistently flew without a helmet.

I once gave him a helmet that I’d painted yellow and covered with bat silhouettes but Van said it was too pretty to risk skinning up if he ever crashed so rarely wore it.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
I'll have to post some more old photos since you guys got these right. Hey Chuck, were you at Rockford the night a big thunderstorm was headed our way and a rather "altered" Van narrated the whole thing, (until he was overpowered by the storm)? Those were fun times. Thanks Frannie and Russ.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Vaguely, Tom. What I remember most was someone jabbering over the PA system and perhaps it was Van in the incident to which you refer; until someone pulled the power plug on the PA system.

The prerotators in those 70s photos are interesting. Dr B had a hydraulic prerotator designed by Bill Parsons while Vans and my gyro had the earliest form of flex shaft prerotator, designed By Hubert Zeller using a $10 Sears cable tool extension shaft. Hubert had emigrated from Germany in the 1950s.

Last edited:

Jerry_Forest

Aircraft
Bensen B8-M
Total Flight Time

Attachments