Seven days of asceticism!

Hi Vance,

It is indeed such a pleasure to read your experiences. I believe that the book that you are writing will be a fantastic success. When I read your eloquent descriptions and see the accompanying pictures, I can easily visualize being in the cockpit and taking the flight myself.

Also noteworthy is the fact that there is a subtle lesson in your experiences. While there are many very intelligent and knowledgeable folks on this forum, I would like to say that you are one of those that inspire others to be a better pilot and person. Thank you again for sharing your experiences, and hope to read of many more. Happy Holidays!!

Because I can't write like Antony I use his writing express my touts.
He did say every thing what I like to say about you Vance and Ed.
Wish you and Edna Happy Merry Christmas and hope you may consider fly for Chapter meeting to El Mirage Febr. March or April
Regard Teddy

The Universal Language of Pictures

The Universal Language of Pictures

I wish it were so Giorgos.

I feel at home in the air and a stranger to the ground.

I actually have been flying a lot less because of building Mariah Gale.

She sucks up time and money.

I will probably fly a little less than 200 hours this year.

It is fun to imagine you flying along with such a different perspective but connected by a common passion.

Does the passion come through the divergent language?

You write so well I suspect it is not the challenge I imagine and then the images are universal.

Thank you, Vance

Merry Christmas to you Tadeusz!

Merry Christmas to you Tadeusz!

In my opinion you communicate well Tadeusz.

I am always aware of your passion for flight and love for people.

You contributions to our sport do not go unnoticed.

I will be traveling a lot and not flying much in February, April and August.

We would love to fly up to a meeting; it is always a very big adventure flying to El Mirage.

It is my fantasy that I will be able to fly to El Mirage in Mariah Gale nonstop in an hour and a half, this would make flying to a meeting and back in one day more practical.

Thank you, Vance

Vance, your articulation of our common passion has grown in fluency along with your exploration of it's boundaries. Generously sharing in pictures the vistas you visit, while taking the earthbound amongst us with you on your aerial perambulations.:)

Thank you my friend!

Thank you my friend!

Thank you Leigh,

You have helped more than I can express in so many ways.

Aerial perambulations has a nice ring to it.

It seems to me to have the characteristics of an oxymoron.

Thank you, Vance

A wonderful gift!

A wonderful gift!

Thank you Stan,

I appreciate your encouragement and our friendship.

You have touched upon something that makes writing about flying so much fun.

As I work to describe the experience to others it helps me to understand the source of my joy.

This understanding helps me to find it again and explore this joy further.

It is a gift that our friendship gives to me.

When I find that I have successfully shared this joy with my friends I feel fulfilled in a uncommon way.

Thank you my friend, Vance

You are to a degree correct Vance. Perambulations can mean a drunken or intoxicated stumbling, say from one bar to another. In the Royal Marines the officers were required to 'perambulate' in pairs on the edge of the parade ground in a purposeful manner while waiting for the morning parade to be formed up and for them to be able to then go to their positions, and both do seem very contrary.

To my mind your flight excursions are both purposeful, but also totally intoxicated (with delight and the joy of what you are experiencing).

It's all very tongue in cheek though, and simply as I know you love to find new ways of expressing your total love of what you are doing.

I stand corrected!

I stand corrected!

Thank you Leigh,

I stand corrected and concede to you superior ability to use the language.

Your diversity of experience trumps my efforts to describe the joys of aviation.

Perambulation was not a word I was familiar with so I looked it up and was too rigid in my application.

Your history lesson expanded my perception.

I now feel it is appropriate and well used.

Part of the writing challenge for me is finding different ways to describe shades of the primary joys I find in flight.

I don’t want to wear out the words freedom, discovery, beauty, power, intensity, sensation, and adventure because they each come to me in every flight.

The proportions may change but they are all always there.

As usual my friend you have helped me to gain some altitude on my challenge with the language.

Thank you, Vance

Forecast for today’s flying

Forecast for today’s flying

The last two days I have been well spent working on Mariah Gale rather than flying.

Forecast for 1:00PM Saturday 12/24/2011 at 5 AM: 72 degrees F, dew point 31 degrees F, wind 286 degrees 7 to 10kts, and cloud cover 5%.

I am off to fly solo because Ed has last minute Christmas things to do.

Thank you, Vance

Good job Stan

Good job Stan

A sagacious use of perspicacious.

Thank you, Vance

.................. the abstinence from worldly pleasures

Surely flying is a worldly pleasure?!! Seven days without flying, then ....... hallelulya! :)

I did not intend to bother you Larry.

I did not intend to bother you Larry.

The title of the thread has been bothering me.
I don't think you intended 'asceticism' as in the abstinence from worldly pleasures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asceticism

You probably meant 'aestheticism' as in aesthetics/beauty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aestheticism

I admire the way you express your passion for gyroplane flight.

I do not have your economy of words or clarity of preference.

Because of my brain injury I often struggle with finding the correct word to describe an experience.

The original title was seven days of forced abstinence.

I felt it was too long and had negative implications.

I was narrowing the characterization of pleasure from the perspective of a person addicted to flying.

My abstinence from aviation was forced so it was reasonable to expect the lack of spiritual growth that is supposed to accompany the practice of asceticism.

I looked at my actions during the week and I feel they were those of an addict struggling with abstinence. That is what I was trying to describe along with my mechanism for denial.

The flight was about getting my aviation fix and the recognition that abstinence had made the heart grow fonder.

I have had personal experience with addiction.

I am also a food addict and this causes discord because weight is often in conflict with my flying addiction.

Thank you for encouraging me to reconsider my choice of words, I stand by my title and it seems to have peaked interest in a lot of forum members. I suspect that aviation withdrawal symptoms are a common experience on the forum. I feel it is not a big step to imagine that all pleasure is absent.

I struggle with words because of my brain injury, it is easier to recognize in conversation as I struggle to find the right word, and my slow halting speech is typical of someone with aphasia. When I write I can walk away until I can find the correct word and no one is the wiser. The aphasia does diminish my ability to recognize that a word is uncommon.

Thank you, Vance

Vance,

The flights you have been taking the past month have been very special; more so that previous ones. Every time I read about and view the photos, the passion of flight glows brighter inside me. As always, thank you for taking me along.

The state of California is very beautiful indeed. Viewing the photos of the Central Coast, I'm constantly reminded of my youth when I surfed many of the beaches that Vance & Ed take photos of.

The Chumash Native Americans were a very resourceful and accomplished fisherman. There's strong evidence that the Chumash had contact with early Polynesians because the type of boat the Chumash built (Tomol) and the two piece bone fish hooks are of Polynesian design.

Wayne

https://cla.calpoly.edu/~tljones/klar1b.pdf

Thank you Wayne!

Thank you Wayne!

It gives me great pleasure to rekindle the passion in someone as dedicated to aviation as you are.

I worry that some of the things I marvel over may seem very basic to an aviation veteran.

I can’t take pictures like Ed.

When I fly 500 feet above the ground I am so surrounded by beauty that some of the pictures are bound to turn out nice.

I don’t actually aim the camera; I steady it on the windshield and push the button.

I wish there was a way to add the feel of the wind on my face to the pictures. It is ever changing and part of the experience.

Today I flew along the costal foothills and The Predators belly was rubbed by the gentle turbulence and I caught lift for an hour along the shore line. The power was well back and she just rumbled along seeming to respond to such gentle pressure on the controls that I simply thought and she responded.

I find the illimitable freedom to choose a unique path across the sky engenders an infinite joy.

My delight continues to grow.

I am glad to have you along Wayne and I love the little treasures of knowledge you share.

Thank you, Vance