Server is busy, try again later

lindandavid

Aircraft
Sparrowhawk
Total Flight Time
8000+
Am I the only one getting this message, which is most times I try to log on?

No you are not the only one David. It happens to me all the time sometimes for hours.

I suspect it hackers trying to registers as a user so they can post links like we all saw where the hacker gets paid for anyone who clicks on it and there is little Todd can do about it.

Server Busy

Server Busy

Okay, Thx. At least it comes and goes.

same here....

Unless Todd has moved the site to a very slow server then I suspect hackers.

Hackers use automatic programs to attack many sites at once thousands of times a minuet. That is why it's busy.
Now that Todd as set the Forum so users must be approved I hope that they will eventually give up trying and go way. But that will only happen if there program knows and keeps track of successful users created. It may or may not depending on how the hackers wrote it.

I hate very little in life but I HATE hackers!!!

Last edited:
Vbulletin is known for being targeted because they have so many users.

PRA's forum does not have this problem I suspect because only PRA members can post and there is no way to register.

Of course this is all my speculation but I know how to hack sites so this is my best guest.

This was happening to me as well. I had not been logging out when leaving the site...just stayed logged in all the time. I started logging out and then logging back in and have not seen the "server busy" notice since. I am not computer savvy by any stretch, and I have no idea if my tactic resolved the issue. It was just something I tried.

Steve

Hi Steve

I too logout if logged in. Then I log in again and sometimes it will let me in. But not sure if this helps or not as sometimes is still displays server busy.

Maybe it's a notice/sign that we didn't pay membership fees???
Sorry, just kidding .....

I never log out

I never log out

I never log out. I've seen what you are talking about but after a few hours access is back.
The only times I've had to log in is if I've cleared cookies and cache.

You could, maybe block a certain range of ip addresses once established where the attacks come from.

-- Chris.

Hi Chris
Actually when you band someone in Vbulleten board it does block there IP. The problem is it too easy to spoof IP's so the hackers just spoof a new IP every time.
Now if they do not think to change the begging 3 digits your idea may work with a firewall.

I hate very little in life but I HATE hackers!!!
I understand your sentiment, but it's not hackers that are the problem. Hackers are the reason things get discovered or improved in life. There are many hackers that are members of RWF. I'm of course I'm talking semantics, trying to get you to see my idea of the real meaning of the term. I don't like the fact that it has been socially changed to represent evil, when in reality it's positive and about creativity and understanding things and making them better.
Now those guys which abuse their skills to hurt people because they pass judgement on some particular business or community (and didn't once look in a mirror) or those that send spam to scam innocent people from their savings, (and the governments of the world who refuse to take action on them), those people I have no tolerance for.

BTW - if it is a DOS attack which is causing the "server overloaded" response, then there are solutions to that, such as distributing the servers across providers infrastructure. Sure, solutions like that cost $$$, but unless we know what is the cause we can't even consider a solution. IP bans won't work, because DOS attacks come from multiple random addresses simultaneously, due to the prevalence of people who still run MS Windows PC's without live AV/Malware protection, and insist on opening emails that say something like "Dear notmyrealemail, you've won an all inclusive holiday in Nigeria!..." :noidea:

Last edited:
some Days I can't even get on. we need more bandwidth.

It appears to be getting more frequent & for longer

When "server is busy" I've found that the Archive feature still seems to work. Go to the lower right corner of your screen to find the Archive link. You can't post anything, and there's no graphics just text, but you can still go back to old threads that you might've missed and read them.

Unfortunately you can't post, and neither can anyone else who has been locked out, so you'll likely only be reading old threads.

David

Got this msg all day Sunday and the Sunday before too. I sure do wish those in the know could fix this.

There are ways to defend against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) however it does cost money. One such company is list below -

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/resources/protect-against-ddos-attacks.jsp

Another link on Four Ways to Defend Against DDoS -

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2170051/tech-primers/tech-primers-four-ways-to-defend-against-ddos-attacks.html

I do realize the Rotary Wing Forum probably lacks the funds to invest in DDOS protections however finding out the costs and determining if its members can contribute towards a DDoS attack protection will at least present an option to maintain quality of service for a website forum that many of us visit daily.

The first thing is to determine it is in fact a DOS attack, or whether its just bandwidth limitation, or something wrong in the forum setup.