Sept. Mini Event

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on our Sept. Mini Event. On sept. 12th at 10 AM (Regular time and place) we are going to hold our annual BBQ/Fly In. We will be providing hambergers and everyone can bring a pot luck side dish or desert and we will have a fun time. We will have at least 4 Gyros flying this year and another 4 or 5 as static displays. Also a new member is going to be bringing his RAF 2000 that will be for sale, So there will be lots of new Gyros there. Lots of Flying, Lots of Food and Fun. We would invite you to bring your spouses and or kids and make it a family affair. It is amazing how fast the group is growing and new Gyros are sprouting up everywhere. Hope you can come join us.

Gyro Doug
Utah Rotorcraft Assoc.
(PRA CHapter 2)

Doug
What and where is the regular time and place?

HB, it's at AirGyro at the Spanish Fork-Springville Airport:

Hanger 75
350 West 2050 North
Spanish Fork, Utah 84660

More info and directions from I-15 here.

Out-of-state meeting visitors are getting pretty common. We'd love to see you there!

Thanks Paul

I was out where and was hoping to get some CFI time maybe get my add on. But I was told the trainer was down for sometime untill the paper work from the FAA comes back. This is my luck my work got me to the right place but at a bad time. I had 10 day off that got wasted.

Brent,

It is very frustrating for everyone involved when you are ready to get some training and the training can't happen (what ever the reason). In a perfect world, there would be Gyro flight Schools located in every major town in the country (kind of like there is for fixed wings) and each flight school would not only have excellent instructors but would have a stable full of Gyros to choose from for your instruction. And if one was down (for what ever reason) you could simply go up in one of the others. Unfortunately for us, that ideal situation doesn't exist (in any location, let alone all across the country) at least to my knowledge. So we do the best we can.

At least we have a Great CFI here in Utah (Mike Burton) and right now he has a Sparrowhawk that he can do training in (& has a LODA). We also have a couple other 2 seat Gyros that are open to getting LODA's for their machines so they could be used for training. We will see how it goes, but we are going in the right direction. I hope you will be able to schedule some more time to come train here in Utah. Once you get here I can guarantee you will like it. Mike is a great CFI and a lot of fun to fly with.

Mike is the one who told me that no gyros for training for now. I don't if I will never make it back there. I hope I can get my gyro add on someday. I should have a twinnstarr flying and would like to give someone a ride.

Head Count

Head Count

Doug,
Do you have a head count so I can try to bring something? We have pot lucks at work several times a year and I always pitch in coin as I HATE shopping for anything but I will see if I can break down and get something. I can probably post a pick list if anyone wants to do it that way, we have items and people sign for what they want to bring?

I scheduled some time with Mike thru AirGyro for after the meeting so I know I'm on the schedule. Hopefully that hasn't changed.

I am expecting about 30 people at the Event. We are providing Hamburgers and drinks and asking people to bring side dishes or deserts as pot luck. Part of the fun is seeing what you end up with. I am confidant there will be plenty of food, there always is.

Airgyro's Sparrowhawk is up and running and the LODA is back so there shouldn't be a problem getting some training in on Saturday. I think we will have 4 or 5 flying Gyros and several more as static displays so it should be a great time.

Curt will be trailering his Gyro down there, so will not be available to haul yours down, so if you need some help with that let me know. I will be glad to hauls yours down if you need me to.

Doug

Doug,
I should have the trailer ready. Do you have a trailer to haul it or use mine? If mine, what do you have to plug into? I may give you a call tomorrow.

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the PR bit on my RAF for sale. ("Also a new member is going to be bringing his RAF 2000 that will be for sale.")
Fortunately, I was gazing thru when I saw the local site. Unfortunately, I'm lookin' for a tailwheel for my ship and likely won't get it to the fly-in. I'm hopin' to find Gary Kaminsky's site where he posts suppliers for RAF parts.

Have spoken to Nate and they will be happy to accommodate my ship. Still need to find a 30'. . .:Dcheck that. . .15' enclosed cargo trailer. . .or open, to get 'er there. . .but it is not goin' to happen this weekend.

Hopefully will see you and meet a few members before my required attendance at a wedding.
terry s

Last edited:
I've just put my rotor together and took it for a little flight with Mike in the other copter. It flys great! Hope you all plan on attending tomorrow. I've seen 4 flying machines tonight. Should be a great turnout. Weather is can't be any better. Come enjoy the air and have a burger.

Curt

Wow! What a day!

Sunshine, low 80s, great food and people, and more flying gyros than Utah's ever seen in one place. Thanks to everyone who made the day so awesome!

Left to right on the taxiway at Spanish Fork-Springville Airport: Mike Brownlee in his Butterfly Aurora, Brian Bird in his SparrowHawk, Curt Pittman in his converted RAF, and CFI Mike Burton with student in Airgyro Aviation's SparrowHawk.

2009_09_12_Foursome.JPG

Last edited:
I second all of Paul's comments. The only thing I can add is, "The view was much better when we were free from the bounds of earth." The temp. at 6500 msl was .... well, just ask Mike what he thought! Thanks for a great day!

That's what I call beating the "BadAir" into submission in large scale!

Curt Aka: BadAir Express
Chapter 2 VP

Very, very cool! You are growing too!

Thanks for sharing guys.

I like the way the Butterfly looks. How is that suspension for off road takeoff?

unknown

unknown

Very, very cool! You are growing too!

Thanks for sharing guys.

I like the way the Butterfly looks. How is that suspension for off road takeoff?

John,

I don't know if Mike frequents the forum so you may otherwise be waiting for quite a while for an answer, so I dicided to chime in here. Mike has about 15 hrs on his Butterfly Aurora so far, I am pretty sure he hasn't taken off from anywhere other than paved runways so far, so he would not be able to give you any firsthand experience about off road takeoffs and landings. Sorry.

If you are really interested to know the capabilities and limitations of this gear in off road situations I would really suggest you make a call to Larry Neal. I know he is the designer and many might feel it would be hard to get an unbiased answer to that question, but I have found Larry to be a totally honest and very conservative promoter of his machines. If he tells you something about it, I believe you can take that to the bank. You can contact him at (940) 627-9887. Give him a call.

Doug

pictures

pictures

Here's a couple pictures I took at our function. What a great Event. This was the most Rotorcraft flying we've seen yet.
First is a lineup of Rotorcraft in attendance
Second is Chucks Purple Bensen
Third is a R-44 that joined us on the field

It was a great day!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1150 small.JPG
    IMG_1150 small.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1143 small.JPG
    IMG_1143 small.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1135 small.JPG
    IMG_1135 small.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 2
Fun Day!!

Fun Day!!

Well I had to invite my princesses to join the fun, I hope Doug and Mary didn't mind watching them too much. They had so much fun too. They got to play in the Outback "I hope my bill for damages isn't too big :) " and were very excited doing so. I think they were more interested in the ponies next door. I don't know where the stupid look on my face came from. Maybe the little one startled me but I thought I had to share a couple pictures.

Attachments

• outback.jpg
    outback.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
  • gyro1.jpg
    gyro1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1
squeeze

squeeze

And Mike says this guage shows the PSI your knees are squeezing on the stick, be gentle :boink:

Attachments

• knees.jpg
    knees.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Doug good advice. I've never bought an aircraft without test flying it before.
I can't make up my mind on even which one of three I want or would be best for the type of off road runways I'll be using while camping at events.