Semi new guy with KB3 ...here lets talk !

Here are two videos of Teddy Udala flying his KB3 with a tall tail off of Moe Rascon's airstrip on a typical windy spring day in the High Desert of Mojave. Winds of 25 - 35 knots with gusts up to 45 knots are the norm.

Wayne

El Mirage Teddy Udala flying KB3

El Mirage Teddy Udala flying KB3 Part 2

Thank you for that video Dave. I always enjoy watching you fly. I don't remember you flying like that at KBFFI 2017 until I realised after viewing, very few people sitting under the canopy. You must have performed that flight either on Thursday or Friday of that gathering. Since I attend only on the Saturday of KBFFI, that stands to reason why I don't remember.

Wayne

I do, Ron's T tail

Looking at these pics raises a question I've had: I notice a lot of these have what appear to be a very rigid landing gear...basically wheels attached directly to the airframe. Is that pretty standard in the early homebuilts? I've been building a Gyro Technic and the landing gear setup with suspension really impressed me as I put it together.

Looking at these pics raises a question I've had: I notice a lot of these have what appear to be a very rigid landing gear...basically wheels attached directly to the airframe. Is that pretty standard in the early homebuilts? I've been building a Gyro Technic and the landing gear setup with suspension really impressed me as I put it together.
Yes the original Bensen B8M used just a piece of 2x2 6061T6 square tubing exactly like the mast and keel for a gear. Ken Brock when he introduced the KB3 had a 2x2 axle that was bent and mounted bent side down. This allowed him to get good ground clearance and still use 6 in wheels. We joked that he was just recycling all the axles from hard landings over the years.

Yes the original Bensen B8M used just a piece of 2x2 6061T6 square tubing exactly like the mast and keel for a gear. Ken Brock when he introduced the KB3 had a 2x2 axle that was bent and mounted bent side down. This allowed him to get good ground clearance and still use 6 in wheels. We joked that he was just recycling all the axles from hard landings over the years.
Ha….if ya learn how to land….you don’t need no dang suspension! 😂🤣👍🏻😁

Ha….if ya learn how to land….you don’t need no dang suspension! 😂🤣👍🏻😁

I learned a long time ago that I'm not infallible! I'll take that suspension, thanks!

Another pic of the tail on Daves rig.
That looks like Utah, I was surprised with the DA over 8000, that it flew as good as it did.

I have had 8 Mac Attacks and haven't needed suspension, but can see how it might have made it worse with the rebound.