Self-contained gyro trainer…..

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
With a litlle help from the wind...

With a litlle help from the wind...

Maybe with a turntable we get a nice and stable airflow?
Maybe not a true gyroglider, but it might be a great toy as well as a trainer to some degree.
For sure a nice problem from Ed ;-)

Maybe it inevitable will work - only depending on how much wind we need.

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
You are correct Fergus, this idea would be more expensive than using a tow-car. Finding a place to tow a glider is becoming more difficult, most airports won't allow it and the cops frown if one uses a back road. I have watched a guy fly a glider for over an hour each time we had a cyclone roar in off the ocean, safely grinning the whole time. The glider wheels do need to swivel on what I proposed. Perhaps we can't realistically produce enough 40 mph air volume to make this work…but if we can, it then MAY be worth a try. I feel a glider is a valuable first step in training and will bring more people into this sport.

Like Jens alluded to, all we need is someone who would know how to calculate the air-flow and power...to see if this is feasible. It's easy....just not for me ;).

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
Forget airfields, unless derelict or very quiet.. They are often a poor location for gyrogliding, which is difficult to mix in with other runway activity.

Find a flat grass field of at least 2000ft ( the longer the better, but 2000 will do fine ).

If you can drive it comfortably in the car at 50 mph it should be smooth enough.
If its a bit rough, drive it with the car til its smooth enough

Fly early in the morning if possible, lift is much better then, wind is less, generally.

Make sure the tow driver is properly briefed, better still if the driver is a gyro-head.

America is a big country, you can do it.

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
Easier initial test..

Easier initial test..

You need: 1 gyroglider, 1 gyrocopter and 2 pilots.

Wind should be about 80% of what is needed for gyrokiting.
Tie down your gyrocopter just in front of where the tow end is fixed to mother earth.
Take your sets gentlemen!
Ad power to the prop :eek: :plane:

Should give an idear wether or not 'ED's invention' is possible, worthwhile, safe etc..

Lspav8r

Senior Member only in age
A little more elaborate setup would work as well. And Mentone is a good place to install this setup. Tow gliders were launched by the use of motors with winch setups which could be installed at both ends of the runway at Mentone with a switching system to change the direction of travel of the tow apparatus from one direction to the other to tow in either direction.

The anchor points could be centerline at both ends of the runway, and when not in use the tow line could be moved off the runway to the side at both ends to make way for regular traffic use.

The camping setups would allow for sessions to be completed while staying on the grounds during training. I know I would make the trip and stay the course if it was available

You Like?

What about a small go-ped motor on the gyro ?
If I understand correctly 2-3 hp permenant drive to the head will reduce the power need from the fan/winch.

Leave it off for the initial launches to teach rotor control and spin up, then fit it for almost immediate takeoff and longer flights.

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
I was hoping someone could run some numbers to find if using a prop blast is a feasible mode of power for this glider. As Jens said in #25, someone with a glider and a powered gyro could determine if this scheme would work, although it may take ~100 hp engine. As Karl said, an auxiliary engine/motor may increase the odds of this working. Anyway of using gliders would be helpful, whether by this or a car or Jim's winch system. I just thought the fewer people required along with the smallest space requirement may provide more interest and use.

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
Gliding and kiting…

Gliding and kiting…

Gyrogliding is a proven thing for fun and for single and dual training of new pilots.
Where possible and brought on, it will receive much appreciation – I think.

Gyrokiting is quite another game, and NOT for new pilots – I think.

Gyrokiting on big noisy energy consuming windmachines is MUCH TOO MUCH!
Gyrokiting on partly natural wind and a windmachine is still TOO MUCH!
Gyrokiting on partly natural wind, partly an electric powered gyrokiter and partly electric powered windmachine(s) is still MUCH!

Does the last combination have a chance?

kolibri282

Nothing new under the sun

Nothing new under the sun

Ed,

you are proposing what is in the picture below. It's the Fa330 Bachstelze in the wind tunnel of Chalais Meudon, which was used for pilot training in 1941/42. So it can be done, but you need a pretty massive fan to generate the required air stream, your motto seems to be "Think Big".;-)

I agree with Jens that this is overkill. Attach two small electric motors to the rotorblades about one third radius away from the hub and feed these through the tether. You could also add a propeller in front of the pilot to give him the feel of the slip stream. To compensate for the propeller thrust and keep the tether taught you simply incline the rotor a bit further backwards. The hard part here is the sensors and the control logic you need to keep the pilot from getting into trouble, but that's small compared to a 25+ feet fan generating a 30+ knot air stream. The big advantage is that you can run this thing off the main in your home and fly in your back yard

Attachments

Last edited:

animal

Platinum Member
If ya want wind blast,a surplus jet turbine,find it's balance point so the tow rope can pivot the exhaust blast at the Gyro at all times. long steel cable and better like the smell of kero. but sorry I think dual training is still cheaper then these Idea.

I mean there are all kind of huge aircraft engines and props that could create enough wind blast, like the engine from a old war bird like a B17 or some other huge transport. but for what the engine and prop would cost not to mention the fuel burn you can travel at an already established gyro CFI.

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
But actually it would be much simpler, to bolt directly on to the rotor head, a 15 hp engine with redrive, centrifugal clutch, electric starter and muffler - only 10-12 kg / 22-30 lb.
Battery and fuel tank on mast.