Scorpion II rebuild project

Tim do you know anybody that is on the rotorway owners Forum. I registered about 2 weeks ago and have never had my registration completed. There is a 162 F engine on there forsale and I can't gain access to check it out. Let me know if you do Thanks.

Jim- Homers fly-in is the week prior to OshKosh.....towards the end of July. Homer I am sure is on the Rotorway forum. I could pm you his phone number. Stan

I use to be on the Forum, but that was so long ago, that I don't even remember my log in to it.
I was on one that was an MSN group, but that one shut down. it was called Rotorway fun.

did you ever join the Homer Bell Forum?

Stan that would be great to get the # maybe Homer could contact the forum admn and find out what is taking so long. He could also advise me on the engine and the info about it. Thank You

Tim I did join and I even posted on it but no one is ever on there and very few post are ever made. Seems very slow in activity.

Here is the ad copied

April14th, 2009

RW162 F Engine For Sale

New RW162F engine with FADEC still in the original box for sale.
Those interested please email "[email protected].

EDIT:
Additional information:

This engine was sold to Malaysia May 2006 (it came from Hervey Bay Australia) Asking price was $8000
The builder in Malaysia re-listed it for sale April 2009.

Last edited:
Thank You Arnie. Do you know anything about this seller. Also could you contact the modereator of Rotorway owners forum and ask them why they will not answer my e-mails and why I have not been authorized access to the site. It has been over 2 weeks since I registered. My user name is Helcopter101 on that site also. If they need my e-mail I will pm it to you. Thanks Again Jim T.

I do not know much about the seller Tim , I do know he had a Rotorway helicopter to the hover test stage , then was having starter engagement problems ( self-engaged while running)

If I was you I would try to re-register on Rotorway forum to see if that works. They welcome new members but I think some areas are for rotorway owners only. The moderator is not always logged in so maybe he missed you the first time.

Hope that helps.

Arnie

Repaint of Scorpion

Repaint of Scorpion

Well another day of filling and sanding. But I believe I have it almost perfect now. Just a little buffing in about a week, then I can tape it off for the stripes, paint them and the painting should be done. Here are some of the pictures of the resand. There really wasn't that much wrong with it but it was bad enough I wanted to fix it. If you notice the pitot port, I had to build this in, the previos owner had this bird built for him by an A&P. He told me he had only hovered the bird and had never flown it. This proves he was not lying to me. The airspeed, vertical Velosity, and altimeter where in the panel but none of the lines where hooked up and there was no pitot tube. Goes to prove to you that no matter what you buy and no matter who put it together you better check everything out completely. I just can't believe someone didn't hook up such an important part of the aircraft.

Attachments

• nose pitot tube.jpg
    nose pitot tube.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
  • resand 1.jpg
    resand 1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
  • resand 2.jpg
    resand 2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
Jim your Scorpion is looking good. yep painting is a pain in the tail. people have seen some bikes I have painted and asked me why I don't start painting bikes..answer,I just got lucky on the first few I did..lol

I had to repaint my Falcon Gyro body when I was building it,when I made the mistake of painting my strips over bare lacquer and as soon as I peeled the tape off it took the paint off with it down to the fiberglass.

the second time I clear coated it,then did the trim strips and then recleared over that.

My commuter H-1B paint job is by no means perfect,but I used a better paint and well the clear coat is nice and thick and really shines ( bugs and dust and all..lol )

It was my mate Peter MacDonald that sold the new engine, he is doing a turbine conversion on his Exec.

Francois
Yes that is the engine Francois. Has Peter got his turbine done yet? Any pictures?

I know , I know , if you fine Australian builders sent every picture we asked for you would have no time to finish your helicopters ........

:)but we want them anyway:)

================================

helicopter101

Your paint job is looking good Jim. Just so you know , I spent 25 years doing high end paint jobs in my body shop. I used the best equipment , wore sterile dust free white coveralls designed for NASA workers , my spray booth was impeccably clean, I bought the best electronic air cleaners available , I made sure my air hose was clean , made sure not even a speck of dirt was on the outside of my paint gun , brought everything I needed inside the booth so I wouldn't have to open the doors , I would tip toe over to the custom motorcycle tank to spray the final perfect coat of clear .....

......I have discovered there is always one speck of dust , or one solitary bug , that has waited all it's life for that moment to land in my paint job. I have done my share of wet sanding and polishing. Welcome to the world of painting. You have done a good job.

I am really enjoying your project , it was my dream to build a Scorpion when they first came out but we could not import them into Canada. I took the money and got my training on a Bell 47 instead. I Still want to build something , my budget says a Mosquito , my heart says a Helicycle maybe with a Racer Yamaha conversion. I hope my heart wins the battle.

Have you had any luck contacting the guy in Malaysia? Be sure to ask him if the 162 he has for sale "in the original box" is the same one he was flying when the starter self-engaged. Probably would only hurt the ring gear but it would be good to find out for sure.

Talk later
Arnie

Last edited:
Thank You Arnie, I did contact the guy from Malaysia. He has this engine really over priced. He quoted 10,000.00, plus the approx. 600.00 to ship. I've seen them here in the states with 60 hours with the complete Fadec system included, going for 6000.00. I am not ready yet to buy the 162 engine. I have to get the 152 exec back home and see what all I'm going to have to do to it first before I buy anything for it. You know one of those never seen can't pass up deals.

Jim- Another interesting bird about to start spinning rotors. You have done a nice job rebuilding your Scorpion, and in a short period of time. I am just as anxious to hear that it runs nice, as I am hoping for Tims Commuter as well. There are a lot of Helicycle guys building, but their builds are mainly on the Helicycle builders forum. I have put all my pictures here on this site instead. Best of startups to you Jim and watching youe Exec redo will be very interesting. Stan

Stan I went to your website. You have some really nice pics. But to be honest I am really impressed with your shop. I would dang near kill for a shop like that. I am hoping buy the end of next spring to have a new shop built. Working out of my garage and having to put plastic up everywhere when I paint is getting to be a hassle. Not only that but the woman is getting real tired of not being able to put her car in there during the winter. Hopefully today is start up day. Will report this evening of the outcome.

Jim- If you would dang near "kill" for a shop like mine...should I start packing my Glock? :D

My shop is my way of life. I started building stairways in our 10 ft. x 18 ft. garden shed.....6 ft. 6 inch ceilings. I had a table saw in there and boards would come in the door....through my table saw....and out a window! Those days build character and I was too poor and dumb to know any different. I was happy and thats all that mattered. Today....maybe I am not as poor....but I am still very dumb and happy.:D

Stan

no start up today

no start up today

Well all I can say is where did today go. I started this morning fully believing I would get the engine started today. We all know how plans change. I needed to run into town and get a few things and ended up being gone almost all day doing Christmas shopping. So to say the least I did not get it started. I do have it completely ready to start tomorrow I just ran out of day light today. I did want to show how my dash and over head panel turned out. Also heres a pic of the finished frame. Once I get the engine running good I can put the cabin on. Hopefully you guys will hear the engine running tomorrow Oh an me to. Jim T.

Attachments

• complete frame.jpg
    complete frame.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dash complete.jpg
    dash complete.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
  • overhead panel.jpg
    overhead panel.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1
it looks good Jim, I like you switch panel and main panel, that is going to be a sweet helicopter when done. I like that blue frame and yellow cab. what kind of trim are you going to put on the cab?

I got a few more parts for my machine today. I think I might have the car fixed, so with any luck maybe I can get back to a few things on my bird.

nothing major, just swapping out the amp meter for a volt meter and hooking up my manifold pressure gauge with a new copper line, the old plastic line was kind of brittle from age.

Jim- Very nicely done. I hope she purrs and the blades track nice.

Stan

Thanks guys, and believe me I never would have thought I would have picked these colors it just worked out that way. My dad had the yellow left over from an airplane he touched up and the blue I seen one day and decided to paint the frame that color before I even seen the yellow. Well I just got in from the shop. First thing this morning I went out and tried to get it started. I couldn't even get the smallest bit of trying to fire off. Thats when the fun started. After a full day of checking this and checking that, rebuilding a carb, and resetting the mag I finally got the engine started. I am really happy tonight, believe it or not it purrs like a kitten. I still have to put the timing light on it tomorrow and check the carb adjustments but for the most part the way it ran I doubt there will be much adjustment required. I didn't get any video today but I will tomorrow after I'm done with the fine tuning. I should get a good nights sleep tonight, no more laying in bed wondering what will go wrong or what did I miss. Talk with you all later, have a good night. Jim T.