Scorpion collective issue

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
Just wondering how many things can cause this issue of collective going to full like that.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Just wondering how many things can cause this issue of collective going to full like that.

Apparently at least 1. Too bad the video is useless in determining what that might be. Looked like roots but was cut off before anything could be reasonably observed.

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
Apparently at least 1. Too bad the video is useless in determining what that might be. Looked like roots but was cut off before anything could be reasonably observed.
Yes the video isn't great. I noticed he is raising the collective uncomfortably high then as it starts to lift he is dropping the collective fast but the helicopter doesn't react fast to his input. Would Aft blade CG cause this? or a improperly reflexed trailing edge? I think the ground anchors are pulling out of the ground at the end.

Barney Bahle

Aircraft
Rotorway 162F
I watched a couple more of his videos. He got the ship back on the ground in one piece after a 90* spin. Looks like he was developing a set-up to replace the cable on an old cable head system.

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
This happened in December

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Maybe lessons might help. 🙄

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
Doug made a good observation in saying the collective looks to have a spring return. That would explain a lot and would be total madness if that't the case.
Not sure where his post has gone now though.

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
I cringe at these videos, 1st and 2nd. A friend of mine felt he could teach himself to fly the Scorpion also. Tied down to the ground in a similar way. One of the stakes pulled out and a roll was initiated. Of course it quickly developed into a dynamic roll-over. So simple to just take some lessons, and as was pointed out above by Brian, cheaper too. He never rebuilt his. Its obvious in the last video that pedal control is very poor, as well as cycylc.

Last edited:

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
I've heard comments about tethers and ground anchors causing accidents, I can understand if an anchor pulled out the ground how that would obviously cause an accident but if that situation could be avoided then surely they would be safe? I was planning a test with my project with four ground spikes but this has made me think again.

DASBUR

I've heard comments about tethers and ground anchors causing accidents, I can understand if an anchor pulled out the ground how that would obviously cause an accident but if that situation could be avoided then surely they would be safe? I was planning a test with my project with four ground spikes but this has made me think again.
Took the post down don't want no part of this at all. I am all for a guy building a helicopter but this guy is down right dangerous

Martin W.

More than just lack of training ..... in his other videos shows how he modified the collective mechanism to the rotor head. yikes.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
That December video spelt out dodgy from the start.

Just my impression, haven’t read subsequent posts.

He is if nothing else, persistent.