Scii - new

Capt'n Gator

Scii

Scii

Will you take payments over a term of say.........30 years?????

I'll cut your grass and wash your dog and........................................

Really nice looking, will it be LSA??????

I'll need mine with Ghost flames over the hood please!!!!!!!:flame:

Capt'n Gator.......................out..............................

Steve_UK

Nice photo of the silver N339SC - construction number SC007, registered Feb 2014.

A couple of weeks earlier another SCII c/n SC008 was registered as N826SC in Jan 2014.

Both registered to Jim.

PTKay

Gold Member

Really nice looking, will it be LSA??????

Eventually serious US manufacturer starts production of enclosed, aerodynamic, professionally looking machine.

Maybe this will spark some serious lobbying to finally pass the LSA rule for gyroplanes trough the FAA.

It's about time!

:usa2:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Eventually serious US manufacturer starts production of enclosed, aerodynamic, professionally looking machine.

Maybe this will spark some serious lobbying to finally pass the LSA rule for gyroplanes trough the FAA.

It's about time!

:usa2:
Unfortunately that gyroplane will not fit within LSA weight limits. Its way too heavy. There is one at Zephyrhills airport. Also, just because a US manufacturer does something like what you thought, has no bearing on FAA accepting gyroplanes for LSA. There are separate efforts underway for that but a rule change takes 2 to 3 years. Nothing is going to happen any time in near future. When that happens every manufacturer who wants to comply to ASTM standards will have to be ready for a FAA audit by certification team in DC for any first make/model. There are new QA standards taking effect in August and things like engines used on ZenOne are going to be tricky to claim compliance with as they are not stock manufactured engines. Just FYI.

PW_Plack

We now have fast-build, two-seat gyro kits that can be completed in about a week, and face far more lenient regulation than LSA. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just be happy with the way things are going and be careful what we wish for.

Intrepid175

We now have fast-build, two-seat gyro kits that can be completed in about a week, and face far more lenient regulation than LSA. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just be happy with the way things are going and be careful what we wish for.
Sometimes there's a lot to be said for that!

gyrodeputy

Within a year

Within a year

Also, just because a US manufacturer does something like what you thought, has no bearing on FAA accepting gyroplanes for LSA. There are separate efforts underway for that but a rule change takes 2 to 3 years. Nothing is going to happen any time in near future. When that happens every manufacturer who wants to comply to ASTM standards will have to be ready for a FAA audit by certification team in DC for any first make/model. Just FYI.
I would like to know where you get the information of 2-3 more years. Some manufacturers are quietly reporting that LSA gyros will be approved by the end of this year. If they meet the European "T" standard they will be approved.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that many are not seeing.

I think having LSA will be good for the gyro community as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
I am getting my information from the FAA team and the industry team working with the industry on what the priorities are for the industry for the next 5 years, like a version of commercial sport pilot cert to be used with LSA aircraft etc. That's a big priority item and from ASTM program management office of the FAA at Light Aircraft Certification branch in Kansas City under Earl Lowrence.
But I am sure there are other efforts not known to these folks going on and perhaps I don't know about them. Generally when we talk about a "rule change", it takes 2 years. Gyroplane becoming S-LSA will be by changing the definition in FAR 1. That is a fundamental definition change.

Also there is no provision for LSA to use BCAR Sec T. LSA have to use industry consensus standards which are under ASTM. It is possible and likely that a BCAR Sec T machine meets ASTM design standard but that is just one of 6 standards it has to meet. There is the new harmonized QA standard for production taking effect in August that is for manufacturing. Whether you are an airplane, trike, PPC or Gyroplane manufacturer you would have to comply with that. So Flight Design CT has to meet the same standard Apollo Trikes have to meet because they are both claiming compliance to the same QA standard and same COS standard and same required product information standard.

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Registered this week another SCII - this one is c/n SC006 - registeredas N830B in Illinois.

This machine "006" has taken a long while to appear on the register - serials SC007 and SC008 were registered back in early 2014 ( see a few messages above ) - I wonder why the long gestation?

Hopefully someone can post a photo of N830B - thank you.

Registered this week another SCII - this one is c/n SC006 - registeredas N830B in Illinois.

This machine "006" has taken a long while to appear on the register - serials SC007 and SC008 were registered back in early 2014 ( see a few messages above ) - I wonder why the long gestation?

Hopefully someone can post a photo of N830B - thank you.
This machine was being upgraded to the latest version.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
I would like to know where you get the information of 2-3 more years. Some manufacturers are quietly reporting that LSA gyros will be approved by the end of this year. If they meet the European "T" standard they will be approved.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that many are not seeing.

I think having LSA will be good for the gyro community as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.
Wanted to remind you more than a year has passed and no SLSA Gyroplane allowed by FAA. Just FYI. Stop listening to so called reps who really do not know how FAA rules work and over zealous marketers. They can't change the rules and procedures easily. If LSA gyro planes will be allowed in future by FAA's own rules they have to stick to using ASTM standards not BCAR Sec T.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Sportcopter II N830B got her Airworthiness certificate. Taxi testing will begin soon. Owner had a very nice builders log & good paperwork. Makes my job easy.

Steve_UK

you may recall

"Nice photo of the silver N339SC - construction number SC007, registered Feb 2014.

A couple of weeks earlier another SCII c/n SC008 was registered as N826SC in Jan 2014.

Both registered to Jim. ""

We have progress..........machine number 009 just registered in May 2016 ( two years after 008 ) - this is N767LW and is registered in Los Angeles, California.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Wanted to remind you more than a year has passed and no SLSA Gyroplane allowed by FAA. Just FYI. Stop listening to so called reps who really do not know how FAA rules work and over zealous marketers. They can't change the rules and procedures easily. If LSA gyro planes will be allowed in future by FAA's own rules they have to stick to using ASTM standards not BCAR Sec T.
2+ years now and no SLSA. Just another reminder and no SLSA change at FAA for gyroplane in the works either. Calidus is trying to get Primary Category TC/PC which I will take an educated guess will take another 1+ year for TC and PC and by the time they are done they would have spent around a million $$ on it. For a gyroplane that can't be used for commercial purposes. I don't see the value but AutoGyro does. So that will likely happen in another year but no SLSA in the next 2 years.

PW_Plack

For a gyroplane that can't be used for commercial purposes. I don't see the value but AutoGyro does. So that will likely happen in another year but no SLSA in the next 2 years.
Unless there have been changes from how Primary was originally drafted, gyros certified this way could be rented. That would be a big deal, because it would open a door for students who want to pursue a Sport or Private certificate without having to buy their own machines to do solo work. Most airplane pilots take that route, but it's not available in experimental gyros.

The bad news is the Rotorcraft Directorate is identified in AC 21-37 as the appropriate office to consioder applications for gyros. These are the same people who've suppressed the LSA gyroplane market up to this point.

At least one manufacturer has the resources to fight the battle. If Autogyro is successful, it will set a useful precedent.