Russian gyro "Barsik"

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Very cool. I like the crank-style folding mast... and trailer come to think of it. Not sure about the folding hub bar if I saw that correctly. I would want to see data on that. Really nice looking design with an apparently effective rotor brake. The only thing that scared me, and doesn't pertain to the design necessarily, is his engine starting practice at around 4:00 in. We lost a good member of this forum a few years back; Chuck Irby, when his gyro/prop lunged forward during startup.

Thank you, Georgi, for posting this.

kolibri282

Hi Georgi,
congratulations on your very nice looking gyro and the unusual design ideas you realized! My one concern, as an engineer, would also be the folding rotor. If you have a look at films of rotor blades in flight you see that these basicly behave like boiled spaghetti, which puts huge fatigue loads on all parts of the rotor system. The first point where fatigue cracks will develop would, in my opinion, be the angle that holds the rotor blade when it is folded upward (see picture below) but the fork that takes the folding bolt will very likely come soon after that. You might want to have a look at the folding mechanism of the PAL-V gyro, which is much more massive.

Please do not get me wrong, I only want to point out possible sources of trouble and would like to recommend a very close inspection of the folding mechanism before ever flight and also inspections using dye penetration in short intervals.

Happy Landings!

JuergenBarsik_fatigue.png

Last edited:

Georgi

Aircraft
gyro " Ultralight Bandit"
Hi Georgi,
congratulations on your very nice looking gyro and the unusual design ideas you realized! My one concern, as an engineer, would also be the folding rotor. If you have a look at films of rotor blades in flight you see that these basicly behave like boiled spaghetti, which puts huge fatigue loads on all parts of the rotor system. The first point where fatigue cracks will develop would, in my opinion, be the angle that holds the rotor blade when it is folded upward (see picture below) but the fork that takes the folding bolt will very likely come soon after that. You might want to have a look at the folding mechanism of the PAL-V gyro, which is much more massive.

Please do not get me wrong, I only want to point out possible sources of trouble and would like to recommend a very close inspection of the folding mechanism before ever flight and also inspections using dye penetration in short intervals.

Happy Landings!

JuergenView attachment 1145853
Kolibri282, this gyro was designed ( unfortunately not by me) by http://www.rustrain3d.ru/ru/airplanes/2.

kolibri282

Дорогой Георгий,

currently I work in the Siemens Gas- and Steam Turbine R&D department. These turbines see very severe fatigue loads yet are the backbone of our energy system, so why don't they fail? The secret is, that for all components there are large data sets available that give the information when to change a component, so it is possible to safely run them. For a one off gyro this is not the case, therefor frequent inspections and tests are the only way to safely fly such an aircraft. I know that Russians are ingenious when it comes to harnessing resources for a task and I do hope you will not only make thorough pre flight cheks yourself but find a way (through some friends?) of performing dye penetration tests on the critical components frequently.

С наилучшими пожеланиями

Юрген

Aviator168

Hi Georgi,

Happy Landings!

JuergenView attachment 1145853
I like the folding mast and blades. Makes it very easy to transport and store for people living in the cities.
Since he is making the blades fold. Shouldn't take that much more effort to make it an articulated rotor.