Russian Collusion!

Looks like you're ready to do some instrument training 🤣

Scott, how much do they cost?

I hope there was enough gap between the bottom of the pod in front of the nose wheel and the upper cross brace on the trailer. Bouncing down the highway could allow the two to meet in an inappropriate manner.

I like it. What is the HP and model of the Yami.

Are the used Yamaha's? Or have they found a source where they can buy new?

Very nicely done Scott.

Thank you for sharing the fun.

Oh, and what redrive are they using?
I just pitched a project to SDU to make a dual (wire) ignition system, universal retrofit motor mounts for a 130HP & 85HP Yamaha. They want to make the redrive but I don't think PRA should be competing only helping where no business exists today.
So I'll buy the redrive and is why I'm asking all of these questions.

I hope someone will use the improvements and start producing just Yamaha aircraft conversions. I hope this project if accepted will benefit Tango too!

Also if Tango sends me their wish list for their conversion I'll add that to the project if it is accepted, it not very challenging without the redirve. Please ask them if there is anything they are too busy to do and I can help there.

John, The engine is the Yamaha YG3, From the yamaha nytro sled, it is 130 Hp, Fuel Injected. My engine has 926 miles on it and looks absolutely brand new on the inside, The redrive is a Russian unit with clutch, much more beefy than the Rotax gearbox.
The engines are used and Alex has a supplier, He does not buy any engines with over 1500 miles.
It is a very well thought out kit.

Thanks Vance, that is the idea, Sharing the fun.

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the info.
Can members buy the Russian redrive?

Yes it is available from Tango as well as fantastic blades!

Thank you how much for the redrive? PRA received several calls each month where can I get a complete converted to aircraft Yamaha.

Just pitch a project to a college to make the components for an aircraft Yamaha system to retrofit the fleet for all who call PRA for one. The problem is the professor wants the challenge of making the redrive. Without making the redrive, it's only a dual wire ignition system, cooling system, exhaust, and universal motor mounts. He said not much of a challenge! But PRA will not compete with an existing manufacturer. Then we lose a vendor!!!

I've been trying to talk Nicolas into me buying and converting Yamaha engines for over a year or two. But he hates them, all alternative engines, and made a policy that I cannot sell a customer just a kit unless he owns a Rotax and send a picture of the serial number.

Just last night I sent him another email asking again.
But now I know why. He's just announced Aviomania has developed a $41K 114HP two-place Rotax solution for the G2SA and or he buys used Rotax that are being upgraded to 914's or 915's with a delivered price of $39K to $41K. But I'd rather have the 114HP with larger cylinders.

I love Tango's pricing it saves about $20K!!!

Most MFG's do not want to have anything to do with alternative engines, because then THEY have to handle any warranty stuff, If Nicolas sells only rotax on his machines, if you have a problem with the engine, it can be handled through rotax directly. Since Yamaha does NOT build aircraft engines, they have no responsibility to you as the customer because you bought the engine used for one, and then using it in a different application, same as Subaru, etc...so I do understand the MFG's position on this. But if you are selling kits, and parts, instead of complete machines..than it could be different I guess. The Yamahas are building time and soon we should be able to put together some info on hours, maint intervals, things to be aware of etc.
Rotax probably made him sign an agreement that he would not sell any kits without a rotax, or Rotax would quit supplying him...who knows.🤔

That makes perfect sense.
No Nicolas did not have to sign anything. We have more unfinished Aviomana's than built when we just sold kits no engine. They all were supposed to use alternative engines. All of the two-places with Yamaha's. But only Height's the prototype is flying some unbuilt for over 5 years.
Nicolas said "I don't want to sell them to sit unbuilt in the hanger. I'm changing the policy because all the ones sold with Rotax around the world are built and flying many in two weeks real time. I've test Yamaha's they are heavier and they do not put all the HP to the prop. I have a solution coming."

For me personally, I trust a certified aircraft engine the most and will fly over non-landing zones the most.
I trust Rotax as much as I do Yamaha's as I've watched from Todd's first in 2007 and FW longer than that and the engines have a good track record, not sprag clutches, ignition systems, etc. until they the bugs worked out. You are a master with alternative engines guy. I'm not.

My hope is that someone like you steps up and starts a company selling only converted Yamaha engines, exhaust, cooling, ignition systems as a complete package with a constant supply.

My other personal problem. That I hate to bring up in a public forum.

I'm not qualified to maintain a Yamaha. I would take it to a trained snowmobile shop.
I don't trust, untrained in snowmobile engines, IA or A&P to maintain it much more than me.
The snowmobile mac cannot sign it off. So I guess I'll take it to two shops with the IA 2nd?

You don't have the problem and can maintain anything.

Last edited:
John actually on the experimental aircraft, unless I am severely wrong, anyone can perform maintenance on the aircraft. It is only when the conditional inspection is performed that the aircraft must be signed off by an A&P, Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, or the individual that that has the repairman certificate for that aircraft.

An Ia, Inspection authorization, is only needed on certificated aircraft.

John actually on the experimental aircraft, unless I am severely wrong, anyone can perform maintenance on the aircraft. It is only when the conditional inspection is performed that the aircraft must be signed off by an A&P, Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, or the individual that has the repairman certificate for that aircraft.

An Ia, Inspection authorization, is only needed on certificated aircraft.
Yaw Mon. Hi Brother Jeff, one of my favorites.
I use the same IA that does patch's my certified Piper's annual. That is the only reason I said IA. Either an IA or A&P can do our inspections. He is also trained in Rotax and inspects them too. But he is not trained in Yamaha's so I guess take it 1st to a snowmobile dealer train to work on them?

John, there is nothing special about the yamaha, it's all nuts and bolts, just like any other engine out there they need fuel, compression and ignition to run, nothing magical. But I have been a mechanic since I was a pup, so.. There are plenty of people right now involved in the aftermarket yamaha business, I really have no interest in starting another career right now, Tango has spent plenty of time and money to make the yamaha engine work on their gyros, I know people want to wait until "x" amount of hours have been racked up to see if they are dependable, I understand that. There are lots of yamaha's out there flying hopefully the numbers will grow.

Just an update for those who are following, I got the airworthiness inspection done back in Sept and then moved the gyro to 4A4 (Cedartown Ga) to do transition training with Jon C. Even though I had been flying the dominator for 12 years and a few other gyros before that, The euro-tub gyros are different than the models I had flown, after a few hours of dual instruction I had it down well enough to go out and practice on my own, It was good to practice at an airport where I got to do some radio communication and watch for traffic etc. Lts different than the home grass strip. The gyro is back home now at Flying H, I have put about 8 hours on it so far, weather, time change, job, all that stuff really gets in the way of flying off the time, but I am really pleased and impressed with the Tango. The Tango flies extremely well, is easy to maneuver, especially solo, the power and performance are fantastic, I am really going to enjoy flying this machine.
I am going to miss Alex, He really put a good machine out there.