Rudder pedal question

Todd

Does this look right?
100_1682.jpg

The pedal can't go past vertical because it hits the angle that it is attached to. Is that just the way it is? Thanks, Todd

DanielM

Total Flight Time
Todd,
Mine can't go past vertical either. I do have plenty range of movement in the rudder, so I'm not too worried about it.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
I reversed the angle that the pedals are mounted on. Actually, when my son was helping put some pressure on the pedals while I put on the springs, the angle bent....so I reversed it and also made it out of steel. Had plenty of motion and it was strong!

I also attached the rudder cables to the top of the pedal instead of the bottom as per plans. This eliminated the need to cross the cables under the keel through the block. I simply ran the cables down each side of the keel and added a pulley as a guide.

Hope this helps...

Barry (former gyrobee junkie) K

Hey Daniel.......didn't see you at the Wrens fly-in....missed a great time!

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Todd, the industry pros who design car interiors have a whole series of range-of-motion limits, based on long experience. There are numerical ranges for seat back rake, arm reach, knee angle, neck angle and many other "comfort figures."

For a pedal operated by pivoting your foot toe-up, toe-down while seated, the extreme comfort range is from vertical to 40 degrees forward. In my experience, that's a generous range -- at either extreme, I get calf cramps. Bensen specified this range for his gyros' pedals. He was no fool.

So it's OK if your pedal goes "only" to vertical, as long as you've got 35-40 deg forward at the other extreme.

gyroparts

Aircraft
Gyrobee, T-2 Extra Powered Parachute N476JG. Breezy RLU-1 N477JG
Total Flight Time
Todd, here is how I made my pedals.

~Jerry Grimstad

Attachments

• gb11.jpg
    gb11.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
  • gb12.jpg
    gb12.jpg