Rudder angle

ljtexeira

Greetings. I have a Sparrowhawk RAF conversion. I don’t have any documentation and A.A. won’t provide any or any information.
What is the angle the rudder should be at when the pedals are neutral?
Thanks.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Bill Totten (5-Zero-Three-701-61-Seven-Eight) is our PRA Chapter prez in Portland, Or.
He has SparrowHawk digitized manuals for the different SH versions made by AAG.
He is freely willing to share his knowledge & to email anyone a copy of them.

He owns a SparrowHawk & has been changing it's instrument panel & throttle set-up since he purchased it used out of Arizona. He also converted the AAG tall tail to one of the Sport Copter SC2 triple tails like another chapter member did to his SH a few years back. That SH now is owned by one of our forum members in NM.

Yesterday Bill told me in a phone call that the AAG tall tail is set straight onto the prop airflow (no offset). The rudder tab @ the bottom turns in the opposite direction as what the rudder does when the pilot presses a rudder pedal. Sounds identical to the way the Dominator gyroplanes rudders work.

His email: [email protected]

Last edited:

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
Bill Totten (5-Zero-Three-701-61-Seven-Eight) is our PRA Chapter prez in Portland, Or.
He has SparrowHawk digitized manuals for the different SH versions made by AAG.
He is freely willing to share his knowledge & to email anyone a copy of them.

He owns a SparrowHawk & has been changing it's instrument panel & throttle set-up since he purchased it used out of Arizona. He also converted the AAG tall tail to one of the Sport Copter SC2 triple tails like another chapter member did to his SH a few years back. That SH now is owned by one of our forum members in NM.

Yesterday Bill told me in a phone call that the AAG tall tail is set straight onto the prop airflow (no offset). The rudder tab @ the bottom turns in the opposite direction as what the rudder does when the pilot presses a rudder pedal. Sounds identical to the way the Dominator gyroplanes rudders work.

His email: [email protected]
You got it bass ackwards Servo tab moves in the opposite direction of the rudder to help hold it in trim.
An antiservo tab moves in the same direction as the rudder to help the rudder go back to nutural.
Servo tab is easy on the feet, actually helps like power steering.
Antiservo takes more pressure to activate same rudder.
Because of the 25% cord hinge on the rudder, the antiservo is used to help control rudder movement.
Most short tails use a servo or a static trim tab, most tall tail use an antiservo.
Look it up

ljtexeira

Thank you. This tail has to tabs, anti or not. And you are correct, the rudder cables essentially cross in that the right cable is attached to the left pedal and left cable to right pedal.

I have it at dead center with the pedals neutral but was looking at a standard RAF tail and see it’s offset with around 5 degrees right rudder.

so I will call this good until a fast taxi test says otherwise.

Thank you again.