Rough Field and off airport in a Gyro

camroe

Helicopter 'Newbie'
Aircraft
Cessna 150
Total Flight Time
I'm hoping this doesn't sound too much like a newbie question but what the heck.

The problem is this. I'm trying to figure out the best aircraft for the what is seemingly a simple mission. The mission is simply flight for 2 people to and from a cottage by a remote lake in a heavily wooded area, and then having a dependable method of flying back and forth for groceries etc.(1 hour flight from closest 'civilization') The problem comes in when you start to mull over the options.
The 'best' option would be a helicopter. No need to build a runway in the trees or anything like that, but the expense is fairly prohibitive, both of building and of servicing. I could build a bush plane, something along the lines of a Super Cub or Zenith 750, but now you need floats in the summer and skis in the winter as the water now is the only way to provide a long enough 'runway'.
Gyro's seem to provide a viable alternative in both cost and performance, but after hunting around a while, I realized that I've never seen a 'bush' gyro. I've watched all kinds of videos and all the take-offs and landings seem to be from an asphalt or smooth grass runways. I did find one gyro on Full Lotus floats though.

I've also found a couple of videos of gyros on skis (from Russia).

I guess what concerns me is that most gyro's that I've seen/looked at seem to have the landing gear on high 'stilt' like legs, or at least they are higher than I would have thought. As I understand it, this is to move the fuselage up to get a Center Line of Thrust from the engine and prop. The extra height is needed to enable the prop to swing and still leave a little clearance from the ground.

This seems to - in my mind, and I could be wrong - imply that there could be alot of leverage brought to bear on the landing gear if you were to try to take off in snow or on a rough field. This is assuming that you could bring it in for a near 0' landing, but there is not much you can do about the take off distance, especially over a rough surface. As well, with the prop potentialy swining so close to the ground, this could make the chance of gravel or grass getting in the prop a problem.

I guess I'm asking this group for advice from folk who run their gyros in rougher conditions, or perhaps to point out that I'm wrong in my logic - it certainly wont the be the first time or the last I'm sure. :)

Thanks

Cam

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Certainly it can be done...

Certainly it can be done...

I do land in the desert all the time. I think where you are going to run into difficulty is the two place machines aren't generally for that mission. Now you could look at a butterfly with g force landing gear, the new sportcopter 2 has a pretty beefy landing gear and shock system as well and I'm sure there are others.
A gyro that is big enough to carry two people is going to need some runway distance to get airborne. A small bush plane with a lot of power to weight ratio would probably excel in this arena like a carbon cub with stol mods. Yes the gyro would be uber cool, but it looks like you are in need of some real utility and I haven't seen a gyro that can beat a fixed wing for payload yet all else being equal. Now if you can convince your wife to be a pilot you guys could have his and hers matching single palce gyros!
Ben S

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
What altitude it will make a big difference.

Unless you can make a runway for takeoffs a helicopter may the exact tool you need for this mission.

Last edited:

Redbaron

Banned
Aircraft
bee
I flew in one of those was like a ultralight jeep lol Doesn't actually qualify as an ultralight but still a neat experimental plane.

Your best bet for operating out of a small airstrip would be the Zenith CH-701 STOL airplane.

camroe

Helicopter 'Newbie'
Aircraft
Cessna 150
Total Flight Time
I do like the Gyro option, it just seems more versatile, but payload is a big one. The altitude is about 300' so I don't think that's much of an issue. ;)

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
You could buy an 18A, it is a jump take off two place gyroplane and there is one for sale by a member we trust on the forum.

Otherwise is there driveway or a road to you cottage with a straight away in the direction of the prevailing winds?

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
I do like the Gyro option, it just seems more versatile, but payload is a big one. The altitude is about 300' so I don't think that's much of an issue. ;)
How much runway do you have. My Xenon RST will take off in 600 feet at 9K feet DA with 550 lbs of payload and climb 600 fpm. At 3k or 4k ft D/A, it does much better.

I take off and land on the dirt crosswind runway here and at Springs East all the time. No Problem.

Mark

PS: at 550 lbs, it is almost carrying its own weight (610 lbs.)

YouTube - Bijou Bottom Airstrip.wmv

YouTube - Take Off Meadow Lake 10-28-2010.wmv

YouTube - 12-08-2010.wmv

Last edited:

Riff Raf

Aircraft
Air Command 503 & RAF 2000 GTX SE (with some mods.) Tierra W/ Tri-Gear
Total Flight Time
16 dual in Sparrowhawk and a few more in other Gyros, 250 in FW
Do a Zenith CH-701 STOL airplane
I have a back to back comparison with one at my airport, I can not get off the ground faster than him, even in the wind. I might add he also has balls the size of grapefruit and is old... :boink:
His take offs are unbelievable! and landings OMG incredible. spot on stuff, like a gyro.
What an aviator..:plane:

aerialvisitor

Gold Supporter
Total Flight Time
1000+
If I couldn't find a gyroplane that would fit this need, then I would go with an AirCam. Twin-engine safety, cruises at 50-100 mph, carries two plus copious baggage, lands in 300', takes off in less than 200' and has gyroplane visibility. Can take-off, fly and land safely on one engine. Can even add floats. Go to: http://www.aircam.com/.

Dave

camroe

Helicopter 'Newbie'
Aircraft
Cessna 150
Total Flight Time
Just to give you an idea of the place. It's the island there. Note that there seems to be room along the shore but ... mostly you don't want to land there, rocks from fist size to head size(not a beach). I could cut down trees and make a strip but ... man that's a lot of work.
There is lots of water, but its ice in the winter, and there are a couple of smoother strips along the shore - longest maybe 200'.

Attachments

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Oh that's awesome!!

I'd put an ad for free firewood and hope some enterprising young man or woman would cut my landing strip out for me.

Having your own landing strip would be awesome too!!

Riff Raf

Aircraft
Air Command 503 & RAF 2000 GTX SE (with some mods.) Tierra W/ Tri-Gear
Total Flight Time
16 dual in Sparrowhawk and a few more in other Gyros, 250 in FW
Oh that's awesome!!
I'd put an ad for free firewood and hope some enterprising young man or woman would cut my landing strip out for me.
Having your own landing strip would be awesome too!!
John
I would be willing to bet that thought came to you in a nano sec.
but keep the fire wood for your self. come on free heat!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
John
I would be willing to bet that thought came to you in a nano sec.
but keep the fire wood for your self. come on free heat!
Yes I did Rodger, but didn't think it through.

OK, you are right, how about a percentage of the wood they keep so he doesn't have do the labor?

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Cam,

Welcome to the forum. I see you are from SLC. If you have an interest in learning more about Gyroplanes you should consider joining the Utah Rotorcraft Assoc. (PRA Chapter 2). You can learn more about us by checking out our website at "utahrotorcraft.org" and plan on coming to our next meeting on March March 12 and meet some of the guys.

As to you question, the truth is most gyros are simply not going to be able to meet you planned mission. Gyroplanes have flown with floats but there are some inherent problems with that and not something to be undertaken lightly or easily. The truth is you would need to buy something with jump capability like the Air & Spruce 18A. This is not an in-expensive aircraft but depending on your budget, it may be a reasonable solution for you.

Regardless of what you decide, come join us and learn more about the wonderful world of Rotorcraft. We have a great support group and are located all around you.

Doug Barker
URA Pres.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
A concrete slab will do . . .rocks alredy there, can be made by hand. 30 X 10 meters.
Prerotator not included.
Heron

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
A heli pad would fit nice next to the house. I would hate to cut down all those trees to make a runway long enough .