ROTR 2020!

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Doug Barker and I just completed a long, exhausting, but extremely productive day scouting our new location for Rotors Over the Rockies 2020, and we can happily confirm the event is a go! Join us Tuesday-Saturday, June 9 - 13, at General Dick Stout Field near Hurricane, Utah for flying adventures in some of North America's most spectacular red-rock scenery. This airport is in the southern part of the state near St. George, making ROTR 2020 the shortest drive yet for visitors from AZ and CA. Average weather here is warmer and drier than our previous locations, and the average elevation is lower, at 3350' MSL.

Some details have yet to be firmed up, but we expect to be joined by a group of powered parachute fliers at the invitation of Out West Light Sport Aircraft, LLC. This company, operated by Stacey and Anita Eaton, acquired both the Six Chuter and Outlaw Predator PPC product lines in the past year, and is building a new manufacturing facility for both in nearby Toquerville, UT. Activities are expected to include a plant tour and presentation. There is also a new AutoGyro dealer at the airport, with flight training and annual condition inspection services available during ROTR. I now have and will be bringing the equipment necessary to test COM antennas for VSWR, relative signal strength and polar pattern. Thrust tests will be available Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday will feature cross-country flight adventure opportunities. On Thursday, we expect a group flight to the Bryce Canyon scenic area. On Friday, a roughly 40-mile, mid-morning scenic flight is planned to the Cedar City Regional Airport, where the folks at the Sphere One FBO will serve us burgers and brats at lunchtime. (Ground-bound attendees are welcome to drive over for the lunch activities.) We're also working on a tour of the nation's largest university rotorcraft training program, operated by Southern Utah University at Cedar City, before our group returns to Hurricane.

One of the most exciting aspects of our event this year is the level of amenities available at this airport, which is LSA-friendly and welcoming to gyros. We'll have free admission, free parking, free (dry/primitive) camping on-airport, wifi, running water, and a good selection of nearby restaurants. The airport fuel station has a dedicated pump for 91 octane, ethanol-free, unleaded auto gas! The runway, previously 3280'-x-40', has been repaved, both lengthened and widened, and a full-length taxiway added. In the immediate vicinity of the airport are spectacular red-rock canyons to explore.

As always at ROTR, limited hangar space will be available for visiting gyros, but there may be a nightly cost, and advance reservations will likely be required this year. Outdoor tie-down spaces are available at no cost. More details on hangar space, restaurants and motels will be forthcoming as we get them.

After an extremely challenging 2019, this year looks to be a major rebound for ROTR. Plan to join us!

Attachments

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I loved flying into General Dick Stout field. I have a friend at the nearby Grassy Meadows Sky Ranch that I would like to visit.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
....I was going to make it an easy lazy year with just Bensen Days and Mentone planned ...Darn it ...you know I'll "GOTTA" be there! (God willing & creek don't rise!!!~)

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Perhaps this year if Peter Kalev and Vance can fly in there, I may be able to join for SilverLight Aviation AR-1 for the show

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
I loved flying into General Dick Stout field. I have a friend at the nearby Grassy Meadows Sky Ranch that I would like to visit.
Yep! Only 2.3 nautical miles (see snip below.)

I was going to make it an easy lazy year with just Bensen Days and Mentone planned ...Darn it ...you know I'll "GOTTA" be there! (God willing & creek don't rise!!!~)
Chris, we'd love to see you again. You've flown in this part of Utah, so you know it's hard to take photos that do this area justice. We'll make early-bird provisions if you need it. Laziness is overrated!

Perhaps this year if Peter Kalev and Vance can fly in there, I may be able to join for SilverLight Aviation AR-1 for the show.
Abid, this would be a great place to demo the capabilities of your machine, and I'd love to get a demo flight. Plan to be here early in the week if you can to enjoy some very rewarding personal flight when things aren't so busy. Bring whatever you need to do a formal product presentation and we'll arrange a space, or just do informal show-&-tell. There's no charge for aircraft exhibitors. We expect about a dozen gyros, but there may be a much larger group of PPC folks camped on an adjacent field, so there should be no shortage of qualified prospects. Out West plans to demo PPCs to the gyro folks, so cross-marketing is fair game!

Only 428 miles from Denver. I could fly out in my Husky.
Dave, c'mon down! There are plenty of tie-downs on the runway side of the ramp, and more will open up close to the hangars soon. I'm told many of the airplanes seen tied down in the photos were moved here temporarily when the St. George Airport was closed for emergency runway repairs, and will be gone back home by ROTR. We're expecting at least one gyro flyer from the CO Springs area.

If there are any specific questions about the event or location, let me know, and if we don't know the answers, we'll find out. I'll be rounding up a list of nearby motels, and although tourist season will be well underway by June, I will see if any will offer an ROTR discount. It will be helpful to book early if you want a motel.

There are also ATV rentals, charter flights, helicopter tours, skydiving, and lots of other activities for those coming without flying machines.

Attachments

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Had a binge session on Google Earth ...plotting my "best-roads" option for my big-rig drive there ...this is going to be an amazing place to fly/discover for a week! ....now I just need to get a solar panel for the trailer roof & the new Jackery1000 ...for keeping my fridge running during no-generator hours! (Boondock /dry-camping will be a snap!)

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Doug Barker and I just completed a long, exhausting, but extremely productive day scouting our new location for Rotors Over the Rockies 2020, and we can happily confirm the event is a go! Join us Tuesday-Saturday, June 9 - 13, at General Dick Stout Field near Hurricane, Utah for flying adventures in some of North America's most spectacular red-rock scenery. This airport is in the southern part of the state near St. George, making ROTR 2020 the shortest drive yet for visitors from AZ and CA. Average weather here is warmer and drier than our previous locations, and the average elevation is lower, at 3350' MSL.

Some details have yet to be firmed up, but we expect to be joined by a group of powered parachute fliers at the invitation of Out West Light Sport Aircraft, LLC. This company, operated by Stacey and Anita Eaton, acquired both the Six Chuter and Outlaw Predator PPC product lines in the past year, and is building a new manufacturing facility for both in nearby Toquerville, UT. Activities are expected to include a plant tour and presentation. There is also a new AutoGyro dealer at the airport, with flight training and annual condition inspection services available during ROTR. I now have and will be bringing the equipment necessary to test COM antennas for VSWR, relative signal strength and polar pattern. Thrust tests will be available Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday will feature cross-country flight adventure opportunities. On Thursday, we expect a group flight to the Bryce Canyon scenic area. On Friday, a roughly 40-mile, mid-morning scenic flight is planned to the Cedar City Regional Airport, where the folks at the Sphere One FBO will serve us burgers and brats at lunchtime. (Ground-bound attendees are welcome to drive over for the lunch activities.) We're also working on a tour of the nation's largest university rotorcraft training program, operated by Southern Utah University at Cedar City, before our group returns to Hurricane.

One of the most exciting aspects of our event this year is the level of amenities available at this airport, which is LSA-friendly and welcoming to gyros. We'll have free admission, free parking, free (dry/primitive) camping on-airport, wifi, running water, and a good selection of nearby restaurants. The airport fuel station has a dedicated pump for 91 octane, ethanol-free, unleaded auto gas! The runway, previously 3280'-x-40', has been repaved, both lengthened and widened, and a full-length taxiway added. In the immediate vicinity of the airport are spectacular red-rock canyons to explore.

As always at ROTR, limited hangar space will be available for visiting gyros, but there may be a nightly cost, and advance reservations will likely be required this year. Outdoor tie-down spaces are available at no cost. More details on hangar space, restaurants and motels will be forthcoming as we get them.

After an extremely challenging 2019, this year looks to be a major rebound for ROTR. Plan to join us!
Paul,
Great write up! I am so excited about this year's event. It will be a bit of a drive for us, but the location will make it more than worth it. For anyone who has the time available, you may want to plan on some extra personal days there, because there will be lots of great things to do while you're there and two weeks will not be enough time to see and do it all.This will be a most memorable experience. See you all there!

lindandavid

Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
8000+
Doug, just wanted to let you know my wife and I plan on attending. Don't know if I will bring the gyro though.

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
Great location guys. Bryce is an awesome flyout spot, though it is 7,500’ elevation. It also has one of the coolest hangars in the country. It is a huge log cabin hangar built during WPA days. Years ago the Natl Parks service would do van pickups at the airport and then a driving tour of the Park.

I may flyout from Salida , Colorado.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
Bryce is an awesome flyout spot, though it is 7,500’ elevation.
Rob, some would say it's awesome because it's 7,500' elevation. I've always wondered what it's like to stay at Ruby's Inn.

Hope you can join us. The last time I got to fly with you was at Mentone, and it's been at least a decade, I think!

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
Rob, some would say it's awesome because it's 7,500' elevation. I've always wondered what it's like to stay at Ruby's Inn.

Hope you can join us. The last time I got to fly with you was at Mentone, and it's been at least a decade, I think!
I hope my gyro will fly there- Bryce is actually 7,590' making it 67' higher than my home airport.:)

We flew together the first year I brought the Xenons into the US- Would have been 2007 I think.

Rob

n613hh

May 15 - Jul 18 CDC will be under phase 2 partial closure. The north side of 2-20 will be closed for resurfacing. the south end 02 TORA 3850 LDA 3850 20 TORA 4350 LDA 3850. Also be aware of heavy equipment operating on and around taxiways and 8-26. 8-26 will be closed for phase 2.

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
I just started a new job this Monday, and need to start saving vacation time again :( Hope to be able to go back to ROTR, but not this year...

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
May 15 - Jul 18 CDC will be under phase 2 partial closure...
Correct. It's the main reason we decided it would be a good lunch flight. The airlines will be shut down, but the airport will remain open to GA aircraft.

To be clear, this is Cedar City, where we plan to fly to lunch on Friday, not the airport hosting ROTR.