Rotors

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. GT-VX1&2, Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Have had the pleasure of flying with various types of rotors in various single seaters.

The Bensen I first flew I had 22’ Rotor Hawkes, I then went to 22’ Layzelles, these were British produced Rotordyne, and an improvement in performance in my opinion. Flown them on Bensen and the AV-18A

My first experience with 22’ Dragon wings was in a Cricket, they flew well, our Hornet had 24’ Dragons and were great, liked they way the performed/flew on a Merlin.

22’ McCutcheon blades in a Benson were very smooth and performed well.

I noticed a definite improvement in performance when going from a 22’ Layzelle to a 23’ blade in a Benson.

Flew 22’ Benson/Brock rotors on a Cricket yesterday, and was underwhelmed with their performance. They were a mild mannered blade, seemed very tolerant ie not critical in terms of blade sail/flap, so good for student initial training, but getting off the ground was an effort, climb performance was poor, and sank like a rock with power off.

I will say we hadn’t done a thrust test and so I may not have had as much thrust from the prop as was possible, but to my mind my rotors are my wings, and these weren’t the best.

I flew for a company that had 5 Lear Jets, and there were 3 different types of wing mods within that group and they all flew differently on a similar airframe and power plants. They all had their little quirks, these most noticeable on the final approach and landing phase, and I believe this of rotors.

Brocks/Bensens are an old blade and probably not many about. Possibly a good thing.

Last edited:
You're spot on there Bobby. :)

I do however have, on pretty good authority, reports that Razor Blades are pretty sweet performers. 👍

Have had the pleasure of flying with various types of rotors in various single seaters.

The Bensen I first flew I had 22’ Rotor Hawkes, I then went to 22’ Layzelles, these were British produced Rotordyne, and an improvement in performance in my opinion. Flown them on Bensen and the AV-18A

My first experience with 22’ Dragon wings was in a Cricket, they flew well, our Hornet had 24’ Dragons and were great, liked they way the performed/flew on a Merlin.

22’ McCutcheon blades in a Benson were very smooth and performed well.

I noticed a definite improvement in performance when going from a 22’ Layzelle to a 23’ blade in a Benson.

Flew 22’ Benson/Brock rotors on a Cricket yesterday, and was underwhelmed with their performance. They were a mild mannered blade, seemed very tolerant ie not critical in terms of blade sail/flap, so good for student initial training, but getting off the ground was an effort, climb performance was poor, and sank like a rock with power off.

I will say we hadn’t done a thrust test and so I may not have had as much thrust from the prop as was possible, but to my mind my rotors are my wings, and these weren’t the best.

I flew for a company that had 5 Lear Jets, and there were 3 different types of wing mods within that group and they all flew differently on a similar airframe and power plants. They all had their little quirks, these most noticeable on the final approach and landing phase, and I believe this of rotors.

Brocks/Bensens are an old blade and probably not many about. Possibly a good thing.
Nice write-up. Thank you for the experiential comparison. Hoping to see more Gyro-Tech carbon blades get reviewed. I bought a set (and their rotor head) and am working diligently every night finishing my build so to begin training and eventually try them out. Had Denis' blades been available at the time I purchased these I would have had a tough choice to make, but probably gone with Denis. Love the man's passion for detail and design, two qualities I absolutely appreciate.

I'm getting them for my Aviomania and planning to drive up to pick them up, visit/tour the factory and talk with Denis. Can't wait!

I'm getting them for my Aviomania and planning to drive up to pick them up, visit/tour the factory and talk with Denis. Can't wait!
I'm envious, Bobby. Have heard only good things about his operation, and wishing more companies had this level of fortitude during their grueling R&D phase. Would love to pick the brain of a true artisan. Please give us all the gory details.

Cheers.

My Gyro-Tech 8.4 m rotor works very well on my MTO.

It has great lift and the RPM's are spot on.

The turbo engine, Aeroprop and Gyro-Tech rotor is a great match...

I just wonder if it can withstand a rainshower....

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
People with experience seem to be of the opinion that composite blades suffer more than metal.

Short periods probably won’t do to much, but depends on droplet size/intensity, and an inadvertent encounter with hail would be most unpleasant.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought the leading edge tape was standard...bummer...

Last edited:
Brian just a thought, but I believe Nikolas of Aviomania ran a test with Gyro-Tech blades on the single seat Genesis, you might contact him for some feedback on how that went.

Last edited:
Brian just a thought, but I believe Nikolas of Aviomania ran a test with Gyro-Tach blades on the single seat Genesis, you might contact him for some feedback on how that went.
Was not aware of this. Thank you for the suggestion. Do you recall if there were any issues? Gyro-Tech did answer my questions prior to purchase about suitability in a single-place ship of this weight. I will report back what I learn from Nicolas. Will try to contact this evening. Thank you again.

My Genesis manual confirms that the Gyrotech rotors were tested and I'm assuming they are approved.

Attachments

• Genesis manual.jpg
    Genesis manual.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 19
My Genesis manual confirms that the Gyrotech rotors were tested and I'm assuming they are approved.
That's encouraging. I just sent Nicolas an email asking if he would be kind enough to share his thoughts on the Gyro-Tech rotor he tested. As soon as I hear back (hopefully soon) I will post his reply.

I'm assuming they are approved.
I believe they may have been approved for the two seater Genesis, not so sure about the single seat.